Nitrogen toxicity - What can I expect/do in the mean time

• Thread starter Kilson
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Kilson

Kilson

Hey guys,

Completely new indoor grower here. Recently I was trying to give a little boost (This is where the fuck up begins) of nitrogen to my ladies and so I followed a reccomendation of 5% urea application (as I have some from a friend). I added some calmag to that feeding and I noticed 2 days later that the leaves on my ladies were curling up in a claw with some necrosis happening at the tips. The moment I noticed I went to flush with pH 6.2 tap water. I was wondering how long it would take to revive them and what should I expect to happen in the ensuing days. Also, I was planning on just feeding them pH 6.2 - 6.5 tap water for the next week.

Thanks for the help!

Nitrogen toxicity   what can i expectdo in the mean time
Nitrogen toxicity   what can i expectdo in the mean time 2
Nitrogen toxicity   what can i expectdo in the mean time 3
Nitrogen toxicity   what can i expectdo in the mean time 4
Nitrogen toxicity   what can i expectdo in the mean time 5
Nitrogen toxicity   what can i expectdo in the mean time 6
Nitrogen toxicity   what can i expectdo in the mean time 7
Nitrogen toxicity   what can i expectdo in the mean time 8
Nitrogen toxicity   what can i expectdo in the mean time 9
Nitrogen toxicity   what can i expectdo in the mean time 10
Nitrogen toxicity   what can i expectdo in the mean time 11
Nitrogen toxicity   what can i expectdo in the mean time 12
Nitrogen toxicity   what can i expectdo in the mean time 13
Nitrogen toxicity   what can i expectdo in the mean time 14
Nitrogen toxicity   what can i expectdo in the mean time 15
Nitrogen toxicity   what can i expectdo in the mean time 16
biggerbud420

biggerbud420

i gave to much nitrogen to my first grow it was out side 3 plants i harvested 2 oz total lol

mancorn

mancorn

None of the burned stuff will recover so just monitor the new growth. In a few weeks you can remove all the old burned stuff as it will continue to fry, but hopefully the plant will grow out of it.

HaveApuff

HaveApuff

WAY OVER WATERED.... #1 way new growers kill their plants.....I say whoa on the watering/ feeding schedule
Those girls drink what they need, not what you give them...slow up on the watering/ feeding schedule dude

Last edited:
Flexnerb

Flexnerb

Hey guys,

Completely new indoor grower here. Recently I was trying to give a little boost (This is where the fuck up begins) of nitrogen to my ladies and so I followed a reccomendation of 5% urea application (as I have some from a friend). I added some calmag to that feeding and I noticed 2 days later that the leaves on my ladies were curling up in a claw with some necrosis happening at the tips. The moment I noticed I went to flush with pH 6.2 tap water. I was wondering how long it would take to revive them and what should I expect to happen in the ensuing days. Also, I was planning on just feeding them pH 6.2 - 6.5 tap water for the next week.

Thanks for the help!
Its possible that too much urea caused a K def/ antagonism issue...essentailly too much urea caused there not tombe enough K when it was needed. N toxicity for sure!! Urea is not very good for cannabis!!! Especially 5% Wouldn't ever use it in that high of %....lol....i believe urea is the worst form of N for indoor plants. Need specail bacteria to break them down...i could be wrong...lol

Theknowledgeplague

Theknowledgeplague

WAY OVER WATERED.... #1 way new growers kill their plants.....I say whoa on the watering/ feeding schedule
Those girls drink what they need, not what you give them...slow up on the watering/ feeding schedule dude
If that's coco it's not over waterd but if that's soil that could be an issue

Kilson

Kilson

If that's coco it's not over waterd but if that's soil that could be an issue

It's soil (1/3 potting mix | 2/3 Promix HP Mycorrhizae ). I've been watering them with around 600 mL of pH 6.2 - 6.5 water every 4 days as that's around the time the soil starts drying out. Normally the soil wouldn't be this moist as the pics came right as I flushed them.

mancorn

mancorn

I know I sound like a broken record, but do a pour through test on your next water. Here are easy instruction w/pictures which should give you some indication if you’ve over fed. https://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/HO/HO-285-w.pdf Since you’re most likely dealing with an over fertilized pot, do the test with your regular water and no feed.

Normally your leachate PPM should be less that what you’re feeding, as your plant should be consuming nutrients. So if you feed at 600 and testing 500 you know your plant is up taking properly. If your leachate PPM is way lower then your input, than your plant is not getting enough food and you can increase your feed. If your leachate is higher than your input then your feeding too much and nutrients (salt) are building up and you’ll need to flush out the excess. But in your case you just want to check that your were actually able to flush the soil (as opposed to how your plant is up taking nutrients). You can also do a slurry test, just that with a small pot it’s hard to get enough dirt without causing mayhem (and you only end up testing the top soil).

As previously mentioned, none of the burned stuff will recover. So don’t go chasing a fix on your old growth. If you did a decent flush (which the pour through will show) then your new growth should appear healthy.

Last edited:
Kilson

Kilson

I know I sound like a broken record, but do a pour through test on your next water. Here are easy instruction w/pictures which should give you some indication if you’ve over fed. https://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/HO/HO-285-w.pdf Since you’re most likely dealing with an over fertilized pot, do the test with your regular water and no feed.

Normally your leachate PPM should be less that what you’re feeding, as your plant should be consuming nutrients. So if you feed at 600 and testing 500 you know your plant is up taking properly. If your leachate PPM is way lower then your input, than your plant is not getting enough food and you can increase your feed. If your leachate is higher than your input then your feeding too much and nutrients (salt) are building up and you’ll need to flush out the excess. But in your case you just want to check that your were actually able to flush the soil (as opposed to how your plant is up taking nutrients). You can also do a slurry test, just that with a small pot it’s hard to get enough dirt without causing mayhem (and you only end up testing the top soil).

As previously mentioned, none of the burned stuff will recover. So don’t go chasing a fix on your old growth. If you did a decent flush (which the pour through will show) then your new growth should appear healthy.

Definetly not repetitive and I'm thankful for your advice! I was actually looking to buy an EC meter but I couldn't the first time around due to not having enough fund leftover. Is there anyone you would reccomend?

I was going to go for this one

mancorn

mancorn

Definetly not repetitive and I'm thankful for your advice! I was actually looking to buy an EC meter but I couldn't the first time around due to not having enough fund leftover. Is there anyone you would reccomend?

I was going to go for this one
Ahhh... figured you had a meter as you mentioned your feed ppm. If you’re looking for a cheaper solution this HM will work fine.

HM AP-1

Top Bottom