Nl #5 Seeds Circa 1998

• Thread starter Kurly
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Kurly

Kurly

Hey all, first time post long time enthusiast.

A couple years ago i was gifted a jar labeled Northern lights #5 and dated 1998, containing about 30-40 seeds, not all of them look great but most seemed viable. I imediately picked out 10 strong looking ones and popped them. Only four germinated, they took longer to open up but after a few weeks they started to look strong next to the other seedlings i had going at the same time. I went through my usual routine and got them ready togo outside. Ive been an avid outdoor grower for the prior 6 years and felt real confident id have success this time around as well. As soon as they went outside they struggled and eventually i ended up pulling them to make room for others. I called my friend and told him what happened and he immediately replied with "i forgot to tell you thats an indoor only strain around here".
If anyone has any legit experience growing old school NL id love to strike up a conversation about it.. Also these are 20yr old seeds anyone have any legit experience working with anything that old?

Fast forward to today and i have a gotten out of the dark ages started taking this seriously and have a fully built and dialed in 5x5 indoorspace to veg and i am planning on finding a legit mother to keep in house for the long haul assuming shes real special. I plan on trying to germinate at least 15-20 of them. Will keep you posted as things progess. Who knows if i get lucky enough maybe itll turn into a breeding project.

Any old school heads recognize this label? Im very interested where they came from. Im told the jar was origanally a freebie from a breeder and about a quater of the way full when my friend got his hands on it in 2004.

Nl 5 seeds circa 1998
DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Imo
You did t harden them off to be able to handle the outdoor enviroment. Did you place them.directly in the sun, or a sun/shade area? The latter is used when bringing indoor started plants outdoors.

I dont by the whole indoor/outdoor only thing. How's a seed supposed to know where the light comes from.

Kurly

Kurly

Admittadly i couldve hardened them off more im sure but i was so used so growing only outdoor hardy strains in new england and set in my routine. I went through my normal procedure which at the time was geminate directly in soil under a small t5 in early april about two and a half weeks after they sprout i put them in 1 galon pots and bring them outside every morning for about a week in a mostly sunny spot near the house. Then id leave them out day and night for a week but still close to the house for warmth and after that transplant into full sun. Thats always been enough for the shit beans i used to sprout in my early days but the NL wasnt having it and i dont think i even want to try and run them again outdoors.

Kurly

Kurly

Update.. seeds wouldnt pop doing my usually routine. I broke open 2 and both were viable i just couldnt seem to coax them out of there shell. temps at 75 scuffed, soaked 6.3ph, paper toweled between two plates on the heat mat. Thinking i may have better luck in june when i can get the temp up to 90ish. Im sure the 20 year old seeds have lost some of its vigor in the form of stored sugars or carbs.

Any ideas on how to get these going?? I saw a thread about making a pressurized bubbler type scenario with an aquarium pump and a mason jar. Are there other tried and true ways of germinating old or stubborn seeds that im not aware of?? Was also thinking maybe a little bit of molasses in the water when i soak them? Idk and am going to wait for mid summer to even attempt this again unless someone has some suggestions. Any input is appreciated.

MissBotany

MissBotany

Update.. seeds wouldnt pop doing my usually routine. I broke open 2 and both were viable i just couldnt seem to coax them out of there shell. temps at 75 scuffed, soaked 6.3ph, paper toweled between two plates on the heat mat. Thinking i may have better luck in june when i can get the temp up to 90ish. Im sure the 20 year old seeds have lost some of its vigor in the form of stored sugars or carbs.

Any ideas on how to get these going?? I saw a thread about making a pressurized bubbler type scenario with an aquarium pump and a mason jar. Are there other tried and true ways of germinating old or stubborn seeds that im not aware of?? Was also thinking maybe a little bit of molasses in the water when i soak them? Idk and am going to wait for mid summer to even attempt this again unless someone has some suggestions. Any input is appreciated.

Old seeds can have a very hard protective shell, you can *lightly* sand down the protective shell with a nail file to help soften it. This should increase the chances of water and gasses to penetrate the shell to allow germination.

45North

45North

I have had great success with hard popping/ non sprout by adding 1 tsp of h2o2 to 1/2 c water and soaking the beans.
45n

G

GreatMilenko

I love NL! I have 5 waiting to be popped. From Nirvana shop!

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

I had fresh beans back in the 90s that was the best stuff Id seen in 20 years, and you had to Physically Crack Them Yourself, Very, Very, Very Carefully.

Latest posts

Top Bottom