No cash for CO2? Try dialing in your VPD>>>

• Thread starter altitudefarmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CelticEBE

CelticEBE

I don't understand how people say that you are adding additional greenhouse gases to the atmosphere when you add co2. Last time I checked plants do this thing called photosynthesis. Part of that process is converting co2 into oxygen.

Am I way off base with this? Is there something I'm unaware of?

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

That has been a topic of debate for a while. Not the real reason I am not using CO2, though. I ain't preachin', lol, I've just heard folks talking about that, so I included it as a positive point. In my last garden, I had problems with heat and low humidity; I most definitely added CO2.
However, since I dialed in my VPD, I am getting much more vigor. The fan leaves of my plants are getting HUGE like I've never seen (on strains I've run before), and they are growing faster than ever- no extra CO2 added. I'm not running sealed rooms, though, either; I'm pulling in filtered fresh air from outside. My seedlings have shown sex earlier, and clones are rooting faster. The only changes I've made in any of my techniques are addressing VPD.
I am taking preventive measures against PM, and being diligent on checking for any other fungal issues. This is my main concern when growing above 50% rh.

C

Chimera

If you are burning propane or natural gas to obtain your CO2 then you are definitely adding CO2 to the global CO2 budget.

If you are using tanks to add CO2 to your garden, then you are reducing the amount of CO2 already created..... CO2 from tanks is captured from industrial processes, and you are essentially 'diverting' that CO2 from going into the atmosphere and converting some of the CO2, via photopsythesis, into carbon for your plants and O2 for the atmosphere.

Hope that helps,
-Chimera

X

Xceptional

Chimera you're the man that's a great explanation that justifies the tank! besides tanks dont create heat i hate the idea of a burner! i'm not spending money on AC to then add more heat by a burner in return causing me to use even more AC! CO2 is cheap enough that i would have to imagine that a burner is more expensive regardless of your costs for propane or natrual gas vs co2 tank refill charges once you include the additional time your AC runs or the additional BTU's you need to keep your room at a optimal temp wile having a open flame running in your growroom.

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Thanks for clearing that up, Chimera.

X, I have never used a burner because of that very thing.

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

What I don't get though is even though you are "Creating" CO2 with a burner......doesn't it get used up by the plants and get converted to O2? Hence you just created oxygen because of your room?

On another note anyone who isn't growing outdoors.....how "GREEN" do you think you are being sparking up your HPS or MH?

My point here is that we leave a footprint as growers. Some of us a bigger one than others. I think the footprint associated with burning co2 is probably smaller than some would have you believe.

Str8Dank

Str8Dank

yeah i would agree with you Celtic BUT just because we leave a footprint does not mean we should not do everything in our power to be efficient and keep that footprint as small as possible. this is the same concept with getting a hybrid car vs a H2. your going to drive but those cognizant of the impact attempt to get the most efficient cars.

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

I agree. I have an 85 Bronco, I ride my bike to work everyday. I just think that adding co2 to a room isn't really as bad as say burning 100 thousand watts an hour.....and there are people out there doing that.

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

Oh and I wanted to add that this is a great article. Full of great info!

Top Bottom