• Thread starter med man
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
med man

med man

Breeder
no-dome clones
howdy yall

sick of losing clones to dampenning off, constant fanning, babysitting your babies?

well... domes = stagnant air = loss to death and potentially very slow rooting times and other issues

i have found through trial and error is: using rockwool and ditching the dome has been by far the most productive and low maintanance method for rooting cuts. faster times, healthier specimens, less loss and waste

for the price, rockwool is more then worth it for ease of use, survival/success, water retention, k.is.s. and above all cleanliness.

in the next post find the method i have used forever, and most of the upper echelon of successful b.c. clone house kings.

med-man

med man

med man

Breeder
all the steps

-mix up a rez of your fave rooting medium soak (i use my cannabolic stacker 0.4 ec solution)
- soak rock wool plugs in ph 5.5 water for 24 hours (1.6ml h202 med-man method)
- place 45-78 per prop flat (do not squeeze out any excess water)
- make sure the pre cut holes are placed upwards
- preheat plugs with a heat mat and dome for at least an hour before sticking cuts
- take the best cuts from any part of the plant, make sure slice to have 45 degree angle
- dip cutting in your fave hormone ( i prefer gel but have rooted with nothing or saliva before lol)
- place treated clone into precut hole, now you can pierce the rockwool deeper if you like, or stop once the cut hits the bottom, i let the strength of the clone decide
- make sure to pinch the precut hole tightly around the fresh cut
-place back on heat mat, with no dome
- if your tray is packed with cuts (72-78)- use the holed tray in solid tray bottom feed method of 2 liters every time the tray gets light/drys out (about every 5 days) with 5.6 ph water
- if you have a more open tray like 45 or less, just pour 1.5 liters of water into your solid tray and make sure the water leaches up from the bottom, ensuring that that tops are less moist then the bottoms of the plugs, coxing roots downward

with this method, you should get 95% rooted clones in about 10 days subject to strain and enviroment.

rockwool is the only medium i have found that does not need a dome. they may wilt a bit for the first little bit, but dont worry, the shock will put their need to grow roots into high gear

i use 16 hours light 8 dark for my cuts, but do use 18-24 hours light subject to location. heat matts stay on 24 hours

good luck, enjoy and have fun!

med-man

S

ssteely71

Thanks med-man ,I'll give it a try. I don't like the dome either actually. All I need is to grab a few cubes. I've never used rock wool but I have played with rooting clones straight into soil without a dome, it just took a lot of pampering.

619ster

619ster

Do you ever experience wilting? And do you cut leaves at all?

I've done this before but seems the more finicky strains are harder to root this way. Seems a dome lessens chance of wilt, and speeds the rooting process. May be other factors at play than the dome, but just my experience. Peace!

med man

med man

Breeder
hey 619ster

they may seem a bit shocked in the first couple hours, but not so much in general. if anything give em a dark period to start their incubation period. that will stand em up

preheating the rockwoll with matts helps a ton. and having vigorus mums will maintain conditions at optimal...

med-man

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

...with not much practice you can do the same thing with cups of coco.

DSCI0326

DSCI0218

...here's one of the seed plants before topping.

DSCI0235

...and here you can see the newly topped seed stock on the right and the newly cut cut's on the left.

DSCI0233

DSCI4490

DSCI4488

...anyway, i hope you don't mind my posting a few pics it's just i figured i'd let you know that the same principles apply.

...i grow in coco hempy's so i abandoned rockwool a long time ago, i've worked hard to make my op as simple as i could and rockwool was just an un-necessary complication and expense.

peace, bozo

Prime C

Prime C

Defender of Dank
Supporter
Nice clone tech @med man thanks for sharing. I recently started cloning in rock wool and Im very pleased with the results.

med man

med man

Breeder
hi bozo

thanks for sharing. i have found the no-dome wokrs "best for me" with the rockwool. plus i cant put a price on the cleanliness factor of RW either. remember, the med-man method calls for 4 x more clones then needded in the finishing room :-)

med-man

Prime C

Prime C

Defender of Dank
Supporter
hi bozo

thanks for sharing. i have found the no-dome wokrs "best for me" with the rockwool. plus i cant put a price on the cleanliness factor of RW either. remember, the med-man method calls for 4 x more clones then needded in the finishing room :)

med-man

Ive been taking more cuts because of this! Thanks for sharing the method of 4.;)

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

hi bozo

thanks for sharing. i have found the no-dome wokrs "best for me" with the rockwool. plus i cant put a price on the cleanliness factor of RW either. remember, the med-man method calls for 4 x more clones then needded in the finishing room :)

med-man
thanks man and yeah, i always take at least double the number of cuts i actually need, better to have too many than not enough, lol.

...sadly, i'm not only lazy, i'm sloppy so i struggle just keeping things 'not messy', lol, forget 'clean'.

anyway, thanks for sharing your tech, i hope you know i was NOT trying to denigrate it in any way, actually, i totally agree with your main premise, i just use a different media is all.

peace, bozo

Prime C

Prime C

Defender of Dank
Supporter
thanks man and yeah, i always take at least double the number of cuts i actually need, better to have too many than not enough, lol.

...sadly, i'm not only lazy, i'm sloppy so i struggle just keeping things 'not messy', lol, forget 'clean'.

anyway, thanks for sharing your tech, i hope you know i was NOT trying to denigrate it in any way, actually, i totally agree with your main premise, i just use a different media is all.

peace, bozo

Thats the one thing I dislike about coco is the mess. Love it beyond that.

med man

med man

Breeder
hi guys,

thanks for sharing your views

the law of 4 was born out of growing less plants. and realizing how uniformity, esp under optimal conditions, was so key to the highest quality and larget potential yields :-)

do the work when the plants are small ahead of time. that way it easier and less costly over-all

med-man

Dirty White Boy

Dirty White Boy

Cool thread med man. But too take it a step further I literally just take clones and stick em in a cup of water and wait till I get tap roots. Just plain Ole tap water nothing else. Takes depending on the strain 4-10 days. I keep the cup under lights sometimes other times I just sit it next too the sink in the kitchen. Done this for 10+ years I get 100% success rate this way. I even do this for clones I send out I just wrap the roots in wet paper towels and ship em. Cool thread though maing.

Otto

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

Sorry my above post was in quotes, so plz delete it mods.

BOZO! Youre always super respectful in cloning threads, but your method intrigues me most...

Hey Bozo - Ive been intrigued with your coco cloning method, and even tried it on a cut I took (sans roots) from a failed water bucket experiment.

Like you, Im a coco/chowmix guy, and I always look for faster, more efficient ways.

Your pics show how great your method is and I want to try it. Could you give us a quick bullet point breakdown of your steps, please?
I have a DIY cloner that I get close to 100% (if I do it right, usually) but it takes a couple weeks to get the Santa beard roots going.

I'd love to try your way because they root strongly, form a ball (in cloner they reach all around) and they're already in coco. Coco to coco transplanting for me has been seamless (following Deacons way)... I literally see new growth the day after transplant now!

Anyway, a quick breakdown plz? Im familiar with all the products so you can abbreviate and I'll know what you mean. Not asking your for an essay, unless youre feeling it...

urban1026835

urban1026835

Fill cup with moistened coco make hole with finger or pencil, take cutting dip in rooting hormone, place cutting in said hole in coco tap down coco around cutting and wait....that's about it.
Same thing I do anymore after trying dome/trays misting etc etc...Now just tap phd onto wet coco,dip in my root powder from walmart, poke a hole & like DWB (paleface?) said straight into the coco.

I have had more success this way then when I was trying to over complicate things.

@med man Great thread

Latest posts

Top Bottom