• Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cali smoke

Cali smoke

No Dope: Ft. Lauderdale Man to Smoke 115,000th Joint
Who says Irv Rosenfeld can't get stoned? Constantly

By BRIAN HAMACHER
Updated 11:45 AM EST, Thu, Nov 19, 2009

When you think of the world's most prolific pot smokers, certain names come to mind: Snoop, Cheech and Chong, Willie Nelson.

How about Irvin Rosenfeld?

The 56-year-old Fort Lauderdale stockbroker will put his name among the greats when he sets a world record tomorrow for weed consumption while lighting up his 115,000th joint.

The best part is that it's all legal.

"Yep, provided by Uncle Sam," Rosenfeld told NBCMiami.com. "They grow it for me, I find that quite ironic."

Rosenfeld's pot has been provided by the government since 1982, when he became a patient in the Federal Drug Administration's Investigational New Drug Program. Grown on a farm on the campus of the University of Mississippi, the weed is delivered to a local pharmacy where Rosenfeld gets it by the bushel.

Rosenfeld suffers from a rare bone disorder called multiple congenital cartilaginous exostoses, which causes severe pain, alleviated by a healthy dose of ganja.

He's been getting 300 joints every 25 days for the past 27 years, and said he smokes between 10 and 12 per day.

"The first thing I do every morning is smoke two joints as I watch my business shows," Rosenfeld said. "Then another on my drive to work."

Rosenfeld said he's never gotten high on the sticky icky, and he's allowed to smoke while operating heavy machinery.

Not getting high also means no late-night trips to Taco Bell.

"No munchies, no munchies, nothing other people get," Rosenfeld insists. "A lot of patients don't get high."

Rosenfeld is an advocate for the Feds providing medicinal marijuana, a policy ended in 1992. While most people who need medicinal marijuana rely on the dozen or so states that allow it, Rosenfeld and three others were grandfathered into the federal program. He said he's lucky to be able to get his hands on what many others can't.

"I get lots of calls from people trying to get the medicine," he said. "It's sad, people need it."

Rosenfeld said he feels great thanks to the Mary Jane, and that others could be as healthy as him if it were made legal across the board.

"I would be bedridden without it, if I would even be alive," he said. "I shouldn't have been alive and I'm still alive, I take no other medicines, I'm in great shape because of the cannibis. It's just sad because the medicine's there."

He said he thinks the Obama administration will help people like him who truly need the weed to feel better. "The tide is turning, patients are finally getting the help they need," he said.

Rosenfeld's writing a book on his experiences as the nation's longest-running legal pot-smoker, tenatively called "Potluck." He hopes to have it published in the spring.

He said his ability to smoke weed in public has made him both a hero and a villain.

"There are people I'm sure that consider me a hero," he said. "A lot of people make snide little comments or talk about the balls I have to smoke in public. They'll ask, 'Hey man, can I have some of that?'"

The villain part came in 1983, when he was busted in Orlando for possession. The overzealous cop didn't realize his right was federally protected, but after fingerprinting and a few hours in a police station, he was let go and the charges were dropped.

Though his public pot smoking has raised some eyebrows, Rosenfeld said it's the ingrained negative perception that gives it a bad name, regardless of the health benefits.

"There are people who have been raised to think it's the devil's work, they'll always be against it," Rosenfeld said. "If you truly think marijuana's as bad as you think it is, explain me."

SmokesalotofVT

SmokesalotofVT

Cool Stuff.. Like these positive stories about the supposed "Devil Weed"
And thats the reason we dont want the Government Growing our Weed!!
Because it would not be all that great I can Imagine.. at least for us "Heads"
and you'd think they'd be able to grow some kick ass weed if they've been growing it
that long and supply'in him since 1982...
:hi: sTaY hIgH oUt On ThE FaRm

R

RMCG

Cool Stuff.. Like these positive stories about the supposed "Devil Weed"
And thats the reason we dont want the Government Growing our Weed!!
Because it would not be all that great I can Imagine.. at least for us "Heads"
and you'd think they'd be able to grow some kick ass weed if they've been growing it
that long and supply'in him since 1982...
:hi: sTaY hIgH oUt On ThE FaRm

Um. G13 comes to mind...

E

ehole

hehe, i wish this guy would come up i95 to the 904 just to rassle our horrid cops. being federally protected to burn in public especially here in florida is just wow. i'm truly sorry for his illness but being a stock broker and a well documented cannabis user for 27 years should be a lesson to all the anti people out there. thanks mr rosenfeld for being a great example of what our medicine can do for us

M

Mr.

I wonder if he got high in the beginning and it was just his tolerance that accounts for him not getting high anymore. I know if i smoked 10-12 J's a day i wouldn't get too high after a few months.

N

ncfarmer

Great news! Thanks for posting. and, good on you Mr. Rosenfeld!......we need to keep pushing folks, even if the word "legalize" scares people. Keep in mind a reclassification from Schedule I to Schedule II, federally, would be a huge victory.... IMHO.......

B

bicycle racer

the reason he does not get high is because from what i understand the herb the government supplies is whole plants buds stems leaves and all ground together and rolled into joints and also its probably some crap strain from 30 years ago. great story regardless though what an utter contradiction of d.e.a policy thats where the devil is.

K

Kalcu

Ya the Government just wants to make it some bad time, like Grandma and Grandpa thinking their opinion rocks...as they are racist and they think weed means your going to be living in the ghetto.

I wish this thread was about Florida decriminalizing or some medical laws like California, that would be bad ass. If they did that, I would buy some cheap swamp land and build myself a hurricane bunker with a snorkel.

Having some pet alligators, something to keep trespassers away or old friends in a cage.

crom

crom

Cannobi Genetics
Supporter
Good for him! He should go nationwide and tell his story to everyone. If people like Oprah and whatever interviewed him and really explained what was going on maybe people would start understanding the benefits of cannabis for medical use. I'm a Combat PTSD medical cannabis patient. Technically the government is responsible for my tramua. So why do I not qualify for this type of Federal program? I understand that the program was terminated, but why was it terminated and could the case be revisited and/or opened? Worth a shot and I'd be happy knowing that I could smoke anywhere, and grow my own legal med garden without plant number restrictions. My 2 cents....

fortwunty

fortwunty

@crombien211: he kind of did go national and tell his story... he was featured in the 2007 TV documentary 'In Pot We Trust'

It's an excellent documentary if you have yet to see it. It's widely available free on the internet (through torrents and streaming). Just thought I'd add that bit of info.

I'm sure plenty of people have smoked more weed than this guy, but in order to get into the record books it has to be documented somehow, so this guy definitely wins on that aspect. :smiley_joint:

sgt. schultz

sgt. schultz

I would bet that guy has smoked a lot more then his government weed. Anything he gets caught with he can call his government weed. Probably gives the crap away.

420patriot

It certainly is amazing to me, that the government has been supplying this medical patient for nearly thirty years such a miraculous medicine.And yet they still have the audacity to call it illegal!!!when the proof of it's medicinal properties are right in front of them.It seems to me that the government is pretty hypicritical when it comes to this.why is it good for one person and not the next??What gives them the right to decide whats right for me&you .I thought it was supposed to be the persute of life,liberty,and happiness.I sure hope we as a people decide to open our eyes before it's too late and life has passed us by.Peace&love,and overgrow big brother!!!!!!!

R

RMCG

the reason he does not get high is because from what i understand the herb the government supplies is whole plants buds stems leaves and all ground together and rolled into joints and also its probably some crap strain from 30 years ago. great story regardless though what an utter contradiction of d.e.a policy thats where the devil is.

I think the reason he doesnt get high is very similar to the way other pain narcotics work.

For example, ever been prescribed narcotics after a surgery or accident? vs taking them recreationally? VERY different effects.

This guy was on the Penn & Teller Bullshit episode about pot, as well as a few others. I don't think its 'bad' weed, this guy just has very painful disease.

T

Time

10-13 joints per day? Must be pretty weak smoke the gov is growing.

B

bicycle racer

i forget where but there was some documentary about the fed pot program they grind up the whole plant stems leaves buds and all and roll joints that cant be that great. i get what your saying about pain meds and recreational use afew days ago i crashed while training and tore my elbow up down to the bone and also injured my neck back leg and ankle to varrying degrees. no big deal but painful i have been taking somas it helps with pain but still has an effect on mood nonetheless. something else to consider is this if you smoke the same strain all the time eventually it barely does anything with me this happens fast does not matter if its bho or og kush.

Yoda

Yoda

MY mother

my mom will reallllllly like this post

nah im just kiddin she hates pot
its very possible her head might:mad0233:

J

jonnynu

Premium Member
Supporter
You know it, Grass Roots! That Gov crap has to be pure bunk!

S

SOCALKUSHTECH

I saw a CNN special on Rosenfeld. I saw the metal cannister he gets every month and what was inside. SHWAG! He claims he doesn't smoke anything but what comes from UofM. He smokes all day, everyday, everywhere. He does not look high or is ever at a loss for words. the guy is really sharp, and does not fit the profile of a heavy smoker. In fact, It was hard to believe that he was even smoking pot, or that he had such a painful life threatening disease, as he was so comfy just drivin to work puffin and talking about how great it is.

Top Bottom