No More Powdery Mildew

• Thread starter Cold Country
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cold Country

Cold Country

Has anyone tried the product called No More Powdery Mildew ?. found it in a local shop .

burn4me

burn4me

I haven't but our local store has something like that. I recently started using milk/water solution. Was told and read its great on multiple levels. And its cheap so if it works thats 100x better imo. What company makes that? And does it affect bennies? Now im curious. If milk works for me then ill let you knif you want.

Cold Country

Cold Country

Tried milk to no avail ,hell tried everything,so damn disappointed .

Cold Country

Cold Country

Thanks Papa started out clean n tidy ,dehuie ,Mildtop weekly and it's baaaack.I will check out this site.

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

Tried milk to no avail ,hell tried everything,so damn disappointed .
...milk worked fine for me, how big is your op and how did you apply the milk?

peace, bozo

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Milk is a useful fungicide in the garden, and is more effective than standard chemical brands.

Researchers believe the potassium phosphate in milk boosts a plant's immune system to fight the fungi.

Where most organic gardeners use a baking soda, soap and oil solution, milk may be substituted to combat the unwanted fungus.

Preparing a Milk Solution and Spraying Schedule

The correct dilution and spraying schedule for garden plants depends on the situation and takes some trial and error.

A milk fungicide solution can range from 1 part milk to 9 parts water, to a strong, milk-only solution. A 1:1 dilution may work for a week, but a 1:8 solution requires spraying every 3 or 4 days.

Skim milk may work better than whole milk, as the higher fat milk may clog a sprayer; even reconstituted powdered milk works.

Uses for Milk Fungicide

Milk was originally used in the garden to treat powdery mildew on squash plants. It is now also commonly used on flowers such as rudebekia (Black-eyed Susans) and Begonias to cure powdery mildew.

Milk has also been used to cure Botrytis on a Cyclamen houseplant. This was applied full strength every morning (leftover breakfast milk). Rotten leaves were picked away and the plant pulled through with no more Botrytis.

Black spots and rust on roses can be controlled but not cured with milk. Fortunately, milk can prevent the spread of these fungi to other plants and new leaves. This can be very useful when bringing home a plant from the nursery and finding a black spot.

The copyright of the article Milk as a Garden Fungicide for Powdery Mildew, Botrytis, and Black Spots in Organic Gardening is owned by Deborah Turton. Permission to republish Milk as a Garden Fungicide for Powdery Mildew, Botrytis, and Black Spots in print or online must be granted by the author in writing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

by Arzeena Hamir
Powdery Mildew

Less than 3 years ago, researchers in South America discovered a new alternative to controlling powdery mildew. Wagner Bettiol, a scientist from Brazil, found that weekly sprays of milk controlled powdery mildew in zucchini just as effectively as synthetic fungicides such as fenarimol or benomyl. Not only was milk found to be effective at controlling the disease, it also acted as a foliar fertilizer, boosting the plant's immune system.

Powdery mildew in the cucurbit family is caused by the organism Sphaerotheca Fuliginea. It is a serious disease that occurs worldwide. For decades, organic gardeners had to rely on making a spray from baking soda to control the disease. Now, instead of measuring out the baking soda and combining it with a surfactant (a "sticking" substance) of either oil or soap, gardeners need only head for their refrigerators.

In his experiments with zucchini plants, Bettiol found that a weekly spray of milk at a concentration of at least 10% (1 part milk to 9 parts water) significantly reduced the severity of powdery mildew infection on the plants by 90%. While some gardeners may be tempted to increase the concentration of milk for more control, Bettiol found that once concentrations rose above 30%, an innoccuous fungus began to grow on the plants. How does milk control powdery mildew?

Scientist aren't 100% sure how milk works to control this disease. It seems that milk is a natural germicide. In addition, it contains several naturally occurring salts and amino acids that are taken up by the plant. From previous experiments using sodium bicarbonate, potassium phosphate, and other salts, researchers have found that the disease is sensitive to these salts. It is possible then, that milk boosts the plant's immune system to prevent the disease.

Milk used around the world
The benefits of using milk to control powdery mildew haven't been isolated to Brazil. Melon growers in New Zealand are saving thousands of dollars every year by spraying their crops with milk instead of synthetic fungicides. The melon growers in New Zealand have been so successful that the wine industry is taking notice and beginning experiments using milk to control powdery mildew in grapes.

What kind of milk should be used?
In Bettiol's original experiment, fresh milk was used, straight from the cow. However, this is obviously not feasible to most home gardeners. The research work in New Zealand actually found that using skim milk was just as effective. Not only was it cheaper, but the fact that the milk had no fat content meant that there was less chance of any odours.

Wagner Bettiol's original article was published in the journal Crop Science (Vol. 18, 1999, pp. 489-92).

Cold Country

Cold Country

Thanks for the info that's the article I read that had me try milk.
15-20 under a 1000 mh on a light track.
I sprayed upper and lower leaf surfaces till dripping at 1/10 using skim milk.

Dr.Trichome

Dr.Trichome

You can try actinovate.
It's a spore cultute that eats pm and such.
Prrfectly safe. Little pricey..

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

Thanks for the info that's the article I read that had me try milk.
15-20 under a 1000 mh on a light track.
I sprayed upper and lower leaf surfaces till dripping at 1/10 using skim milk.
...how often did you spray? ...pm is systemic so it's like an infection so a single application won't do the job, it'll kill the surface mildew but it won't cure the infection so the pm comes back in a few days which is why you need to spray every 2 or 3 days for a couple of weeks afterwhich you can start tapering off while staying vigilant for a return of the mildew.

...in my own case it took about 6 weeks to completely rid my op of the pm and it has never returned going on 4 years now.

...i would also suggest you do some basic research on the life cycle of powdery mildew, or any other pest or disease that you run across for that matter, so you can be fully aware of what you may be inadvertantly doing to provide comfortable surroundings for the current problem to flourish, ...for example, and it's been some years since i did my research, but powdery mildew likes crowded conditions so maybe 15 - 20 is just a few too many? ...it's hard to say without knowing more about your op.

anyway, milk will work if you are diligant and it has other benefits, for example the boost to the plants immune system, so, even without pm, adding a little milk to a regular foliar regimen can only be a good thing.

...and don't be afraid to mix the solution at a stronger concentration, even 2 parts water to 1 part milk won't hurt your plants.

btw, i've read others say you can also spray with H2O2 but i've never used it so i don't know for sure it'll work.

good luck, bozo

K

kolah

Lots of good advice here..

If you choose to avoid commericial sprays, changing the pH balance of the plant is the key to getting rid of molds. A vinegar solution would acidify it and baking soda forces it to an alkaline condition. Extreme heat will assist in killing PM off too. Lots of ratio mixtures for vinegar or baking soda sprays...and always test your solution on a small area first.

Prevention is a better way, fan ventilation for sure and for me I like to really thin out fan leaves and often I tie branches down and around to let more air circulate around the plants. I plant in a GH and have no electric so I rely soley on Natures wind for my ventilation. Thus my extreme thinning and tying and re-positioning them down. I don't like any leafs or branches touching any other leafs or branches.

I never tried milk but read and heard that raw milk is best.

Picking and thinning leaves on a daily basis is also great for early detection of mold, bugs and deficiencies as you are littering combing and scouring every inch of your plants. The sooner you find a problem the easier it is to fix..but of course prevention is key.

Cold Country

Cold Country

Well 3-7 seems to be the shiz ,thanks for all of your input.

JAWS

JAWS

a milk mixture will slow i down but it wont kill it and it wont prevent it from coming right back.

if your mid or further along in flower and you just want to make it to harvest then a milk mixture COULD help you out, if not your going to have to get a bit tougher on that shit.

i hate PM:mad::mad::mad:

Dr.Trichome

Dr.Trichome

I've seen this thread on many forums over the years, this is the stuff that I've actually seen work.

Actinovate for Lawn & Garden contains a high concentration of a patented beneficial microorganism. When applied, the Actinovate microbe grows on the plant’s roots and leaves, living off the plant’s by-products while at the same time attacking harmful disease causing pathogens. This natural product effectively suppresses & controls a wide range of foliar and root diseases.

Good luck with it. the shit sucks.

Cold Country

Cold Country

Thanks all, I ordered the Actinovate a few days ago ,time to beat this shit once and for all,I hope. :wacky:

Dr.Trichome

Dr.Trichome

Good to know. It saved us from bud rot, pm, all that. there is a companion to it for the caterpillars out west too.
It's real safe too, wouldn't kill ya if ya ate it. Not that one would do that of course. ..

Cold Country

Cold Country

In regards to milk,how long before harvest do I stop sraying and start rinsing ?

Top Bottom