No pest Strips

• Thread starter Purps
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

Purps

I am going to put a No Pest Strip in my tent to get rid of mites. My problem though is that I am running a 1000 watt w/ cooltube and sucking air out for 12 hours of the day. I assume the strip will not be effective during these 12 hours. How long do you normally have to hang the strips? Will it be effective if I only put the strip in when my lights and exaust are off. And turning the exaust off for a little while is not even an option. It was a high of 105 degrees today where I live.

sycboy

sycboy

I would read up a bit about the use of those No Pest Strips before putting them into your grow space. I read somewhere that it is not advised to use them while the plants are in flower, and that it is essential that you wash your plants with water after using them. The insecticide that is used in them is very harmful if you are exposed to it for a long time, the instructions suggest that you should not use it in areas that you live in or stay in for elongated periods of time. They are supposed to be used in sheds and outhouses to get rid of insects, or cupboard spaces that are sealed off to rid clothes of moth damage. Apparently they are very effective, and will kill all spider mites within a day of being exposed to the strips, but at a possible cost to your health if you are also exposed to them. This product is NOT for bedroom growers! If you are going to put one in your grow room, turn the fans off for the twelve hour dark period and leave the strip in there. Take it out again when the lights come on and turn the fans back on. Repeat the procedure again the next dark period and they should have all died. Please read up on them first before using them.

lazarus718

lazarus718

No Pest Strips aren't going to get rid of a spider mite problem bro, you need to be more aggressive. PM SeaMaiden about it man, she can steer you in the right direction.

P

Purps

Ok maybe I won't use the NO pest strip. What do you think about tobacco tea on plants 2 weeks flowering. I have tried No spider mite spray, Neem oil and soap and they are still alive.

true grit

true grit

Yes these work great, use them as overkill and dont worry. What i do is overload the room if theres a small mite problem, shut off all fans, circulation, etc for 6-8 hours and let No Pest strips emit into room. After that, usually good. Do that every couple days for a week or so and make sure all eggs are done too....

M

mrdizzle

grit hit the nail. you need to turn off your outtake, I hung in my veg tent, and turned the fans off during the 6hr dark period. zero mites in my veg, once they went into the flower rooms well that was a different story

I would take hanging on of these in an area that Im in for 10 mins at a time vs spraying with avid which will give me cancer on my testicles in a couple years

hiboy

hiboy

I used them in flower, didnt know not to at the time, but they seemed to work well. Your only suppose to leave them in the room for a certain amount of time.
I also used them with other treatements in veg, like neem oil, avid, and sulphur burning.
h

crom

crom

Cannobi Genetics
Supporter
I use one in my garage and it works super well! Got rid of my earwig issue(minor) and I'm not seeing much flying around anymore. But as stated know what your using before using it. I think a garage is, the only place on the packaging that is, the only "indoor" place you "should" hang them. They are for areas, like mentioned above, like dumpsters where humans don't inhabit. I have read "the Rev" say it's like using raid in your tent. Eh just my two cents.

Cheers,
Crom

B

Buddy Hemphill

I use one in my garage and it works super well! Got rid of my earwig issue(minor) and I'm not seeing much flying around anymore. But as stated know what your using before using it. I think a garage is, the only place on the packaging that is, the only "indoor" place you "should" hang them. They are for areas, like mentioned above, like dumpsters where humans don't inhabit. I have read "the Rev" say it's like using raid in your tent. Eh just my two cents.

Cheers,
Crom

That not what the label says. It says not to expose yourself to them for over 4 hours.

If NPS's are the equivalent of Raid, what is Floramite?.....think about it.

NPS's are prolly the LEAST toxic of the mite defenses (that actually work) that we have....IMVHO. When used properly,of course.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Lavender extract is the least toxic of the mite defenses. I'd have to say that the 50/50 ISO/H2O mix comes up a close second.

D

driftin

I would spray to get rid of the mites .. . i use a spearmint extract mixed with neem oil and a little soap for dispersal .. what i found over the years is a no pest strip, hung in my basement , outside of my room seems to stop me from getting mites , but if i happen to carry them in on my clothes ... i got em lol just my experience .. i wouldnt actually hang a no pest strip in my room .. but i've kept up a regimin of spraying my veging plants every couple of weeks with my mite killer lol and use the cheap carbon filter screens on all intakes just to keep critters out

just my thoughts ...

B

Buddy Hemphill

Lavender extract is the least toxic of the mite defenses. I'd have to say that the 50/50 ISO/H2O mix comes up a close second.

How do you apply the lavender? Like rate wise?....sounds cool. What do you mix it with? Soap and water?

I love you Sea!...lol....you got tricks.....did I miss this in our previous NPS battles or have you been holding out?:evilgrin0040::happy

P

Purps

I tried that ISO/water method in the very beginning when they were just little clones and I burnt the hell out of them. How much iso per gallon? Also would you spray this on plants flowering 3 weeks?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
How do you apply the lavender? Like rate wise?....sounds cool. What do you mix it with? Soap and water?

I love you Sea!...lol....you got tricks.....did I miss this in our previous NPS battles or have you been holding out?:evilgrin0040::happy
No, but I don't fight the same battle over and over again. I have this 'thing' about not going over old ground again and again. :)

So, the lavender extract is basically a tea made with lavender, but this is something I haven't had to use because I've only ever had to deal with mites once. I'll have to look it up again, but IIRC the French government has codified that along with some other plants for their qualities of pest and/or disease control. Hubby's still sound asleep which means no coffee and I'm drawing some hard blanks.

Been searching for a thread I read somewhere else that showed this list and gave recipes, damn if I can find it. But I did find jaykush's recipe that he reports has worked very well.
  • Lavender flowers soaked in water for 24-48 hours. Strain the plant material out really well, then dilute 50:1 with plain water and apply to the plants with a sprayer.
  • The ratio isn't critical, but it's something like 1 tbsp per cup of water.
  • You can use fresh or dried lavender, but keep in mind that as with all plant extracts, using dried material will give you a more potent extract.
  • For increased effectiveness, add a couple drops of a good natural soap (like Bronner's) to the diluted solution prior to spraying.
  • Be sure you spray all leaves. Especially pay attention to the undersides.
  • This treatment also seems to kill eggs.
  • Spray every 3-5 days until mites are eradicated.

For the ISO I've used 50/50 and as high as 70/30 with no ill effects on the plants. These were all vegging plants, the high humidity and cool temperatures in my flowering room kept the mites from even establishing in the first place. So... I guess I'd have to say that high humidity and cool temps would be the LEAST toxic.
:hi

crom

crom

Cannobi Genetics
Supporter
No, but I don't fight the same battle over and over again. I have this 'thing' about not going over old ground again and again. :)

So, the lavender extract is basically a tea made with lavender, but this is something I haven't had to use because I've only ever had to deal with mites once. I'll have to look it up again, but IIRC the French government has codified that along with some other plants for their qualities of pest and/or disease control. Hubby's still sound asleep which means no coffee and I'm drawing some hard blanks.

Been searching for a thread I read somewhere else that showed this list and gave recipes, damn if I can find it. But I did find jaykush's recipe that he reports has worked very well.

For the ISO I've used 50/50 and as high as 70/30 with no ill effects on the plants. These were all vegging plants, the high humidity and cool temperatures in my flowering room kept the mites from even establishing in the first place. So... I guess I'd have to say that high humidity and cool temps would be the LEAST toxic.
:hi

Hey Sea can we use lavender extract? Like the essential oils that you burn to make the tea do you think?

crom

crom

Cannobi Genetics
Supporter
I was gonna say if we could use "burning" oils to make teas smell the way pests hate then maybe we could use some. What do you think it would do to the leaves/pests? Maybe wash it off in like 20 minutes? Just thoughts. Why won't the oils work? Not that I think they should per se just thinking aloud.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I don't know that they won't work, I can only report what's been reported directly to me as using that recipe that I posted. Like I said, I've only had mites the one time. That actually kind of surprises me considering the mite-ridden clones a neighbor had going last year, they were unbelievable. And his 'friend' sold them to him, fucking charged him money for mite-coated clones!

B

Buddy Hemphill

I don't know that they won't work, I can only report what's been reported directly to me as using that recipe that I posted. Like I said, I've only had mites the one time. That actually kind of surprises me considering the mite-ridden clones a neighbor had going last year, they were unbelievable. And his 'friend' sold them to him, fucking charged him money for mite-coated clones!

read my sig

Top Bottom