No tech to High tech.

• Thread starter WickedMichelle
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
WickedMichelle

WickedMichelle

Hi all....

I just received my grow text yesterday and jumping into indoor growing with technology. I have tried to grow twice in my life and both times did not produce anything good. Then again... all I did was sprout some seeds from my stash, put them in pots and watered. Clueless! LMAO!

This time, now that it's legal here, I invested a little $$ and will see if I can grow something decent. I did a little research, I had a budget, then finally decided to go with this system: "Mars Hydro Smart FC3000-EVO 300W LED Grow Light + 3'x3' Grow Tent Kits + 4” iFresh Full Fan Kit" and added the "UV30 + IR15 + Deep Red R30 Supplemental Lights with Timers". The system was a little more than I wanted to spend but I look at it as an investment and my savings in the long run if I can grow a good plant or two.

They say this tent can grow 3 plants.... I cannot see that happening. I honestly do not think this will be big enough for two to be honest. But time will tell.... I'm new. Next step is to buy a few seeds. I am going to try, Purple Queen, Watermelon, and Sherbet Queen. I liked the data on these and I love a good Indica, it helps with my chronic pain. I need to start to research light times, soil and nutrients then I will be ready to start. I think one of the seeds I have in my cart is an auto flower, I hear they are easier to grow for a new grower.

It seems this site has a wealth of information. I think I will learn a lot here. If anyone here has this setup, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Any help/advice period would be a great help ☺️

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Hi all....

I just received my grow text yesterday and jumping into indoor growing with technology. I have tried to grow twice in my life and both times did not produce anything good. Then again... all I did was sprout some seeds from my stash, put them in pots and watered. Clueless! LMAO!

This time, now that it's legal here, I invested a little $$ and will see if I can grow something decent. I did a little research, I had a budget, then finally decided to go with this system: "Mars Hydro Smart FC3000-EVO 300W LED Grow Light + 3'x3' Grow Tent Kits + 4” iFresh Full Fan Kit" and added the "UV30 + IR15 + Deep Red R30 Supplemental Lights with Timers". The system was a little more than I wanted to spend but I look at it as an investment and my savings in the long run if I can grow a good plant or two.

They say this tent can grow 3 plants.... I cannot see that happening. I honestly do not think this will be big enough for two to be honest. But time will tell.... I'm new. Next step is to buy a few seeds. I am going to try, Purple Queen, Watermelon, and Sherbet Queen. I liked the data on these and I love a good Indica, it helps with my chronic pain. I need to start to research light times, soil and nutrients then I will be ready to start. I think one of the seeds I have in my cart is an auto flower, I hear they are easier to grow for a new grower.

It seems this site has a wealth of information. I think I will learn a lot here. If anyone here has this setup, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Any help/advice period would be a great help ☺️
autos are not for beginners, whatever site told you that are clueless,

Tumbleweed375

Tumbleweed375

Welcome to the farm, wicked!

Gnick is right. Autos give you less time to correct mistakes that even experienced growers make. Which reduces yield and quality. Photos are more forgiving, but you will need to adjust light schedules. So you need to weigh your pros and cons.

Check out some @Gtglicky3 threads. He works wonders with autos.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
Welcome to the farm!

I need to start to research light times, soil and nutrients then I will be ready to start.
Light times and light power change according to the life stage of the plant. Use low power for seedlings. 18 hours on and 6 hours off is commonly used for vegetation. Changing to 12 hours on and 12 hours off triggers flowering for photoperiod plants.

Cannabis likes water but doesn't like wet roots. So, soil should drain well. Many growers mix their soil. Perlite is a common amendment.

I use organic nutrients, but there are also synthetic nutrients. It's helpful to understand the difference because the methods of use are different.

Galgrows

Galgrows

Hi all....

Hi D Ho fellow lady grower😊 sounds like you got some good equiptment to begin the journey. I use a 3x3x6 tent indoors and i've grown outdoors for over 40yrs. In my tent i've grown in 3-5gal fabric or hard plastic pots with side holes drilled into them. I've had 4 photoperiods in 3gal fabric pots many many times. I never " expect" a 1lb grow everytime so don't get frustraited about that. I started out with 2 photos at a time and different strains. Gradually i advanced in techniques to train so they would'nt get overgrown in the tent. Topping the main stalk and LST is the easiest way to start. I grow autoflowers also i've grown them from coffee can size containers to 3gal. Right now i'm do a self challange grow of 7 in my 3x3 in 1 gal hard plastic nursery pots. But i been learning indoor for 7yrs it's a fun rewarding indoor winter growing time, better than knitting LOL Yes it's big enough for two, choose container even 2 5gal would work but don't push it. I've done fine in 3gal for both photos and autos. I do 15gal outdoors.

20200428 1346211982  last shot
20200528 105024
20200601 083742
IMG 20210309 044628637 HDR
cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
I grow 2
Hi all....

3 X 3 is fine for 3 plants ✌️, I would avoid autos at first.
Welcome

WickedMichelle

WickedMichelle

Thanks for the welcome everyone and for the useful information.

Ok, no auto seeds. Noted! Back to the drawing board on what to buy. The autos were recommended by a local shop. The said they are fairly fool proof and good to start with but have less THC. When I found these few that have a nice THC level and are Indica dominant I was really happy. No worries. I am sure I can find something LOL.

So the equipment is ok? I was reading a post about running 2 filters as I live in an apartment and want to control the smell. There was some Hydro bashing going on there LOL. Got a bit concerned but hey... parts can be replaced. I was concerned most about the lights. I read a lot of good things about the FC3000-EVO 300W LED. Hoping it is all the hype makes it out to be. The additional IR, RR and UV set up seemed logical and altogether it was what I spend in 2 1/2 months on greens so.... it makes more sense financially to grow my own.

Beautiful plants Galgrows. Good to see multiple plants in that space. My last grow was in 1991 LOL... I had 4 plants in my dining room. All over 6 foot. Things have changed over the years. But then again... I was totally clueless about growing. Sprouted seeds, placed them in soil and watered. Boom.... plants. My cats enjoyed them. Not very potent at all for me. I am really looking forward to my first crop. My goal is to grow enough to keep me going inbetween harvests. I go through about an ounce per month. Can you grow more than one strain together in the same grow tent? If so that would be great to mix it up and not build tollerance to so much of just one.

Thanks again for the welcome everyone... I am really looking forward to getting started. Work has been busy so with luck I will have the grow tent finishsed Monday and growing by the following weekend. (if seeds arrive on time LOL).

😊

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
Can you grow more than one strain together in the same grow tent?
Yes. Sometimes different strains can have different environmental needs that might require some adjustments.

If so that would be great to mix it up and not build tollerance to so much of just one.
Perfect. We probably go through several ounces a month and usually have three or four different varieties in our storage jars. We'll be harvesting three this month and two more are in early vegetation.

I go through about an ounce per month.
So, you'd probably want at least 6 ounces per harvest and grow twice a year. That's easily doable with your equipment. A well-grown plant can go a long way.

WickedMichelle

WickedMichelle

Yes. Sometimes different strains can have different environmental needs that might require some adjustments.

Perfect. We probably go through several ounces a month and usually have three or four different varieties in our storage jars. We'll be harvesting three this month and two more are in early vegetation.

So, you'd probably want at least 6 ounces per harvest and grow twice a year. That's easily doable with your equipment. A well-grown plant can go a long way.
Twice a year? So that leads to another question. Some seeds are saying 8-12 weeks from seed to harvest, harvest in October. Somewhat confusing to me. Do I need to start and harvest at specific times? Or is that for outdoor growing only?

Ooops... this intro thread has turned into a Q&A. Sorry, 🤗

Tumbleweed375

Tumbleweed375

Harvest in October is for outdoors. 8-12 weeks sounds like a breeder estimate for flower period. It's just that, an estimate. The plant tells you when it's done (red pistils, trichomes cloudy, etc.).

Photoperiod plants have specific amounts of light hours per day needed to change from vegetative to flowering stage of their life cycle.

Usually in a tent you have 18/6 (18hours light on / 6 off) for veg and 12/12 for flower.

One bit of advice: Manufacturer/breeder recommendations are to be taken lightly... start your nutrients a bit lower than suggested. light says seedlings at 100% power 18 inches? Maybe work your way up to that.. here is a "1 plant tent" with 6 plants in it.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
Twice a year? So that leads to another question. Some seeds are saying 8-12 weeks from seed to harvest, harvest in October. Somewhat confusing to me.
The "twice a year" was only an example, and I was thinking of photos. Autos can typically finish in 12 weeks or less. Photos, however, can take 4 or 5 months. That would be 6 to 8 weeks of veg and another 8 to 12 weeks for flowering. So, that's potentially 5 months, or about two crops per year. If you grow three good plants twice a year, you'll have plenty of weed, and will be able to stock several varieties.

Do I need to start and harvest at specific times?
Not when you're growing indoors in a tent.

Or is that for outdoor growing only?
Yes. Outdoor growing is different due to the length of the growing season.

Ooops... this intro thread has turned into a Q&A. Sorry, 🤗
No problem. You're asking good questions, and we all want you to have a successful grow.

HerbalEdu

HerbalEdu

i suggest you have a look here:

you will find all the basic about growing cannabis.

amount of plant you will be growing in a 3x3 will depend on your growing method SOG, SCROG, Topping, Mainlaining,HST and/or LST.

i personnaly would sog 16 plants in a 3x3 with 4 weeks veg so 3 plants in a 3x3 is easily doable.

WickedMichelle

WickedMichelle

One bit of advice: Manufacturer/breeder recommendations are to be taken lightly... start your nutrients a bit lower than suggested.
Noted, thanks. Have you ever used (not sure what they are officially called) nutrients to adjust or enhance the flavor? Some claim to add or enhance the fruity flavors.

i suggest you have a look here:
Awesome, thanks. Got that bookmarked.

No problem. You're asking good questions, and we all want you to have a successful grow.
Thanks 😁
The "twice a year" was only an example, and I was thinking of photos. Autos can typically finish in 12 weeks or less. Photos, however, can take 4 or 5 months. That would be 6 to 8 weeks of veg and another 8 to 12 weeks for flowering. So, that's potentially 5 months, or about two crops per year. If you grow three good plants twice a year, you'll have plenty of weed, and will be able to stock several varieties.
Understood. As mentioned above, I should not start with autos.... so I would be looking at a longer period for grows. I am curious about the autos now. Where I do understand the comment above about not having time to make adjustments to the grow.... what would be the worst that could happen? Low potency? Low yield? Maybe I will try one of each and see what happens. Make cookies with it. Light schedule might be an issue. I need a bigger apartment and another tent LMAO!

Look, I learned to quote. 😂🤣

Top Bottom