No Till Organic Vermiculture Grow?

• Thread starter GreatWhiteBud
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GreatWhiteBud

GreatWhiteBud

Hey there folks,

I am looking for advice on Organic growing, in particular the use of Vermiculture in No Till Organic Growing (ie. How does it affect the soil quality in general?)

I am also looking for recommendations on literature that pertains to no till growing that I could investigate as well.

m4s73r

m4s73r

Well for this application it will depend on pot size. Once you get over 30 gallon pots then worms can play a integral roll in a no till container. there are 2 type of worms to consider when doing no till, red wigglers and night crawlers. red wigglers will help compost the mulch layer. Night crawlers will help keep the soil aerated. I only run European night crawlers in my beds. However If i did a smaller container like a 30 gallon, id run both.
As for No till growing literature there isnt much directly focused on cannabis. Especially in a no till environment. You can find some good threads on various forums. Id say if you looking to explore this as a new grower than watching the Build A Soil 10x10 Season 1 and 2 on youtube will give you a solid foundation to start on running a no till set up. After that getting into the Soil Food Web by Dr. Elaine Ingham is a great source to learn about soil biology and how to recondition used soil naturally.

You can also check out my current grow journal where i run 2 4x4 beds.
Here is the link for my journal.

GreatWhiteBud

GreatWhiteBud

So as a continuance to this thread below is a recipe for making "Super Organic Fertilizer Base Soil", the idea behind the implementation is that the bottom of the planter is covered with 2" of gravel for drainage, the the SOFBS is put on top of that or about 1/3 of the remaining planter depth. Finally you top this stuff off with an organic soil mix, the idea being that the SOFBS is far to strong for the plant initially however as the roots develop the plants will be able to draw the nutrients required from the bottom 1/3rd, the extra compost is then kept and a trench dug on the outside of the planter where nutrient supplementation can occur as the plants need it.

"Super Organic Fertilizer Base Soil"

In a kiddie pool/dog pool;

Pile a tin layer of dirt on the bottom of the pool (1- 2" deep),

Spread 1Kg Coco fibre and 2 Lbs Mycorrhizae,

Add: 0.75 Kg Rock Phosphate, 1/8th cup Epsom salts, 1/4 cup Azomite, 1/2 cup Dolomite, 1 Tbsp Humic acid,

Add another layer of dirt 1-2" thick,

Add 1 Kg Bat Guano,

Add another 1-2" layer of dirt,

Add 1 Kg blood Meal,

Add another 1-2" layer of dirt,

Add 1 Kg Bone Meal,

THEN...

Mix thoroughly with a shovel until well blended,

Put mixture into black plastic garbage can(s) and add 10L of water,

Move cans to a semi shaded area and let mixture sit for 30 days, stirring every 5 days.

P

Petrochemical

Supporter
Well for this application it will depend on pot size. Once you get over 30 gallon pots then worms can play a integral roll in a no till container. there are 2 type of worms to consider when doing no till, red wigglers and night crawlers. red wigglers will help compost the mulch layer. Night crawlers will help keep the soil aerated. I only run European night crawlers in my beds. However If i did a smaller container like a 30 gallon, id run both.
As for No till growing literature there isnt much directly focused on cannabis. Especially in a no till environment. You can find some good threads on various forums. Id say if you looking to explore this as a new grower than watching the Build A Soil 10x10 Season 1 and 2 on youtube will give you a solid foundation to start on running a no till set up. After that getting into the Soil Food Web by Dr. Elaine Ingham is a great source to learn about soil biology and how to recondition used soil naturally.

You can also check out my current grow journal where i run 2 4x4 beds.
Here is the link for my journal.
Used to be a dude here....natural therapy...best no till farmer I've seen in many moons,that being said .... I've noticed on online forums that when good people with really good empathetic Hearts go online sometimes things gets lost in posting and people get toxic with one another where I don't think it would happen in person so I imagine a lot of good people that we're sharing and helping and throwing out knowledge that people have lost or might I find really hard to find like recipes for the recipe for exactly what you're asking for Natural Therapy I think had here a recipe offering it to people here, in years of his work just being shared because he's a loving caring person I want the community back like that if it's possible anything I can do to help

GreatWhiteBud

GreatWhiteBud

As for Vermiculture I plan on starting with a planter that is approx. 625L in capacity and adding approximately 100 Night Crawlers ( get lots of the for fishing around my area, no picking up individuals for this garden!) hopefully they will start to thrive and propagate into their new home.

The plan is to start cover crops of clover, fescue, some dandelions, and other ground covers in early April once the frost is off in order to be able to clip and hand turn the soil, the idea being that no till doesn't necessarily mean no movement of the top soil completely. Turning the cover crops into the ground and adding some news paper mulch for the worms should feed them, then its just a matter of getting clones in the ground .

P

Petrochemical

Supporter
As for Vermiculture I plan on starting with a planter that is approx. 625L in capacity and adding approximately 100 Night Crawlers ( get lots of the for fishing around my area, no picking up individuals for this garden!) hopefully they will start to thrive and propagate into their new home.

The plan is to start cover crops of clover, fescue, some dandelions, and other ground covers in early April once the frost is off in order to be able to clip and hand turn the soil, the idea being that no till doesn't necessarily mean no movement of the top soil completely. Turning the cover crops into the ground and adding some news paper mulch for the worms should feed them, then its just a matter of getting clones in the ground .

Have been using these guys since 2016....only thing I miss is the nettles for nitrogen fixing. Too bad your notoutdoors cause honey locusts...most locusts tres in general are a pretty hard working species when it comes to nN fixation in their soils they grow in. Fascinating trees

GreatWhiteBud

GreatWhiteBud

Used to be a dude here....natural therapy...best no till farmer I've seen in many moons,that being said .... I've noticed on online forums that when good people with really good empathetic Hearts go online sometimes things gets lost in posting and people get toxic with one another where I don't think it would happen in person so I imagine a lot of good people that we're sharing and helping and throwing out knowledge that people have lost or might I find really hard to find like recipes for the recipe for exactly what you're asking for Natural Therapy I think had here offering it to people the insane yours in years of his work just being shared because he's a loving caring person I want the community back like that if it's possible anything I ca

Have been using these guys since 2016....only thing I miss is the nettles for nitrogen fixing. Too bad your notoutdoors cause honey locusts...most locusts tres in general are a pretty hard working species when it comes to nN fixation in their soils they grow in. Fascinating trees
Best part about Canada is pine trees everywhere, I will be using trimmings from trees grass and mix it in with household vegetable waste to make a compost as well so hopefully it will help balance out the nutrient profile for the cover crops.

O

Obidai_the_Obtuse

I haven't been growing long but I have a 5x3x2 ft bed in a shower and I'm trying no till. I usually just now the cover crop if it's over growing my cash crop. Otherwise I use it as a living mulch. As I to dress and as my plants get bigger I'll go with any kind of high carbon mulch to cover my amendments. Shredded cardboard, straw, composted woodchips that make it through my 1/4inch screen with the smaller compost all end up smothering my cover crop eventually...

GoblinSmasher

GoblinSmasher

I think Jeff Lowenfels books might be what you want to look into.

And also TLO (true living organics) - the rev

Interested in the topic myself. I found it a little hard to grasp. A lot of ingredients mentioned are not easy to source locally for me

Latest posts

Top Bottom