Node growth, is this genetic?

• Thread starter Capital_Florica
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Capital_Florica

Capital_Florica

The plant, started from seed, topped within the last week. Curious about the node growth, haven’t had a plant like this, it looks almost like how I’ve seen some clones grow. I’m wondering if it’s genetic because if so, I’d like to make sure I take clones to keep it around, it’s a bag seed. Seems like a desirable trait, granted there could certainly be undesirable traits not yet noticed that make it not worth keeping around. Nevertheless, would love to hear thoughts on this type of growth development and potential causes.

Please keep complaints on bag seeds and queries on why anyone in their right mind would want to keep bag seed genetics around to yourself please and thank you 😉

Node growth is this genetic

Capital_Florica

Capital_Florica

When a plant matures the nodes start to alternate.

Is this why clones do that, because they come from mature plants? Or I guess put more accurately, a plant at maturity, is cloned and such clones originate from branches exhibiting alternative node growth. Though you could take a clone from a branch not displaying alternative node growth, if any existed. Since most commercial clones are not presumably coming from juvenile plants, they exhibit the alternative node growth that I’ve noticed.

It’s interesting, you should mention maturity, because this plant is way too old for it’s size. It’s probably a month and a half old, had a really shitty start.

So I think you hit the nail on the head. Had it been topped say around three weeks when typically plants might receive a snip, it wouldn’t be showing the alternative node stuff. But since it was topped at a month and a half, the growth is alternative.

Seeing the growth at such an early stage, I thought it might be some lucky mutant that was gonna pop off three shoots haha. It’s been growing like crazy the last three weeks, and just got more vigorous after I topped ‘er.

mancorn

mancorn

Is this why clones do that, because they come from mature plants? Or I guess put more accurately, a plant at maturity, is cloned and such clones originate from branches exhibiting alternative node growth. Though you could take a clone from a branch not displaying alternative node growth, if any existed. Since most commercial clones are not presumably coming from juvenile plants, they exhibit the alternative node growth that I’ve noticed.

It’s interesting, you should mention maturity, because this plant is way too old for it’s size. It’s probably a month and a half old, had a really shitty start.

So I think you hit the nail on the head. Had it been topped say around three weeks when typically plants might receive a snip, it wouldn’t be showing the alternative node stuff. But since it was topped at a month and a half, the growth is alternative.

Seeing the growth at such an early stage, I thought it might be some lucky mutant that was gonna pop off three shoots haha. It’s been growing like crazy the last three weeks, and just got more vigorous after I topped ‘er.
You mean 3 shoot mutant like this? Called a whorled phyllotaxy (but doesn’t exhibit the trait after cloning).

2E6E8CDF 8070 4CE8 B711 E0EEC48D9F2E

Top Bottom