Nomads Landing 2013 Season High Desert Greenhouse

• Thread starter Nomads Landing
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ttystikk

ttystikk

I'm impressed at the labor of love here! I can't wait to see what your harvest looks like, subbed to find out.

Nomads Landing

Nomads Landing

Thanks folks it's good to be back. We'll post monthly pics to catch up. As well as recall of events as best as possible... right now... we've been combating mites, trying to keep the girls off the plastic, roof and walls. There is not room to even walk, you have to duck around to get through. Tonight is the first frost for us... suspected temps from 32 - 25 F. We've been prepiug all day. B Back Soon. Night... kinda we'll be up till 4am.

Nomads Landing

Nomads Landing

I always find those nettles growing in my smart pots when I go back to the ranch in February. They are good? I always pull them out and my hands are all itchy. Did not know they were a nettle. LOL
yeah they are great, they are supposed to help increase resin production in oil producing herbs too.

below frigid

below frigid

Can't just till them back into the soil? How do you make tea with the nettles. I make ewc tea for my veggies here at the house. Was wondering if a quick brew would be beneficial ?I run my generator 3-4 hours down at the ranch that to refill my water tank. Could run the aireator at the same time. How do you make enough? My pots are 2-3 hundred gallons. I have 14. Thanks for any help. Here are a few pics I took this evening. I see Nomad likes Sensi Star too. I have 5 SS going. I just love the fat colas she makes. I always seem to three different phenos out of a pack of SS beans, fems and regulars. I don't think Paradise makes the regulars anymore. These shots are Ghost Train Haze, White Super Skunk, and Wi-Fi. Hope you don't mind me posting them here. Try to remember and take a couple of shots of my Sensi Star for you. Been windy the last couple of days, I had one branch break but it was still connected so I just tied it up. These hazes are getting really tall and now heavy too. Of course they have no support. One was sort of laying over on a Wi-Fi as well, had to give her some love too. Just hoping the rain stays away. Looks like I am dry for 2 more weeks anyway. I know Northern CA is supposed to get some precipitation this weekend. Next year I am going to use some Hortonova trellis. Good luck with the finish everyone.
P9170056
P9170073
P9170052
P9170057
P9090046

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Below, I believe we have a fermented plant extracts thread here. If not, we NEED one. Many plants are considered to be 'bio-accumulators' because they are high in particular elements or nutrients. Stinging nettle is one of them. Making a tea with any of these plants is just as easy as making A cup of tea, although with the exception of alfalfa tea, I use cool or cold water, not hot.

Your plants are looking GAWJUS!

In any event, I can't really get nettle to grow easily (or comfrey, another one that's popular for teas) without a lot of watering, and that makes zero sense to me. So what do I do? I use what's actively growing around me, because we're not just getting at the mineral or nutrient content, we're also getting at the (water soluble) secondary plant metabolites, and those can be really good stuff. So, for me at this time of year it's woolly mullein, berry brambles... and not much else is growing, so I don't use it. Chop as finely as you can, crush, whatever, cover with water and let it 'steep' for a day or three. The resultant liquid will probably stink like hell, but once it's poured into the soil you won't notice it.

I grow in beds and large homemade pseudo-SmartPots, and this is still the method I use, I just make many more gallons, using a trash can is helpful.

below frigid

below frigid

Sea
Below, I believe we have a fermented plant extracts thread here. If not, we NEED one. Many plants are considered to be 'bio-accumulators' because they are high in particular elements or nutrients. Stinging nettle is one of them. Making a tea with any of these plants is just as easy as making A cup of tea, although with the exception of alfalfa tea, I use cool or cold water, not hot.

Your plants are looking GAWJUS!

In any event, I can't really get nettle to grow easily (or comfrey, another one that's popular for teas) without a lot of watering, and that makes zero sense to me. So what do I do? I use what's actively growing around me, because we're not just getting at the mineral or nutrient content, we're also getting at the (water soluble) secondary plant metabolites, and those can be really good stuff. So, for me at this time of year it's woolly mullein, berry brambles... and not much else is growing, so I don't use it. Chop as finely as you can, crush, whatever, cover with water and let it 'steep' for a day or three. The resultant liquid will probably stink like hell, but once it's poured into the soil you won't notice it.

I grow in beds and large homemade pseudo-SmartPots, and this is still the method I use, I just make many more gallons, using a trash can is helpful.

Sea thanks for the info!

Mogrow

Mogrow

Can't just till them back into the soil? How do you make tea with the nettles. I make ewc tea for my veggies here at the house. Was wondering if a quick brew would be beneficial ?I run my generator 3-4 hours down at the ranch that to refill my water tank. Could run the aireator at the same time. How do you make enough? My pots are 2-3 hundred gallons. I have 14. Thanks for any help. Here are a few pics I took this evening. I see Nomad likes Sensi Star too. I have 5 SS going. I just love the fat colas she makes. I always seem to three different phenos out of a pack of SS beans, fems and regulars. I don't think Paradise makes the regulars anymore. These shots are Ghost Train Haze, White Super Skunk, and Wi-Fi. Hope you don't mind me posting them here. Try to remember and take a couple of shots of my Sensi Star for you. Been windy the last couple of days, I had one branch break but it was still connected so I just tied it up. These hazes are getting really tall and now heavy too. Of course they have no support. One was sort of laying over on a Wi-Fi as well, had to give her some love too. Just hoping the rain stays away. Looks like I am dry for 2 more weeks anyway. I know Northern CA is supposed to get some precipitation this weekend. Next year I am going to use some Hortonova trellis. Good luck with the finish everyone.View attachment 339974View attachment 339975View attachment 339976View attachment 339977View attachment 339978

right fucking on homles, glad you're doing good.
stinging nettle is what you want to use, not sure about other nettles. you make a extract with the nettle. you will need alot with the large pots. go out and chop the nettle up, use all leaves, stems, flowers. put it in water and let it sit for about 2 or 3 days. it will start to stink, you don't want it to ferment so don't go over 3 days. i would try a gallon of plant material to 4 gallons water. when you're done you've got a great foilar and or drench. i've used watercress, dandelion, comfrey and stinging nettle. it gets rank but u get used to the smell.
watch that wifi for mold but damn they look good.
peace mogrow

below frigid

below frigid

stinging nettle is what you want to use, not sure about other nettles. you make a extract with the nettle. you will need alot with the large pots. go out and chop the nettle up, use all leaves, stems, flowers. put it in water and let it sit for about 2 or 3 days. it will start to stink, you don't want it to ferment so don't go over 3 days. i would try a gallon of plant material to 4 gallons water. when you're done you've got a great foilar and or drench. i've used watercress, dandelion, comfrey and stinging nettle. it gets rank but u get used to the smell.
watch that wifi for mold but damn they look good.
peace mogrow

Wow I don't think there is that much nettles. I may be able to do a couple of pots. Not too worried about the Wi-Fi molding on me. I have lots of air movement and the humidity is still real low 20 to 30% in the day time. I still watch everything close. I have some with a lot fatter and denser buds than the Wi-Fi. It's rarely a problem for me.

Nomads Landing

Nomads Landing

6-18 Update pics
All is Well... Starting too show a bit of N and K defs. Temps average in the 90s. We spray the floor down with water for some evaporative cooling. We are watering 15 gallons a girl every 3 days. The girls have been getting Guano teas, and compost teas on an average of every 10 days or so. We are a bit late on a top dressing, and here begins the reactive vs. proactive...

DSC 0066 Small

Blue Dream

DSC 0067 Small

Sensi Star
DSC 0068 Small

Blue Dream
DSC 0069 Small

Sensi Star

DSC 0070 Small

Sour Diesel

DSC 0071 Small

Pineapple Express

DSC 0072 Small

Pineapple Express

DSC 0073 Small

Ogre

DSC 0074 Small

UK Cheese

DSC 0075 Small

Sour Tsunami

DSC 0076 Small

Maui

DSC 0077 Small

Humboldt Purps

DSC 0078 Small

OG Kush

DSC 0079 Small

Brandy's OG

DSC 0080 Small

American Crippler

DSC 0081 Small

Blackberry Kush

DSC 0082 Small

Cheese Quake

DSC 0083 Small

Grandaddy Purple
DSC 0090 Small

View from the South

DSC 0093 Small

Chicken Tractor

Nomads Landing

Nomads Landing

I run my generator 3-4 hours down at the ranch that to refill my water tank. Could run the aireator at the same time. How do you make enough? My pots are 2-3 hundred gallons. I have 14. Thanks for any help. I see Nomad likes Sensi Star too. I have 5 SS going. I just love the fat colas she makes. I always seem to three different phenos out of a pack of SS beans, fems and regulars. Hope you don't mind me posting them here. Try to remember and take a couple of shots of my Sensi Star for you.

Your ladies are looking great. As mentioned below... the night shots kick ass. While your well genny is running and you are aerating your tea you could also throw a 120v charger on a battery and getting some additional bubbling time. On how much to give your girls your gonna get a different answer from everyone... remember rule 1, what works for your neighbor might not work for you... lol... we would say about 6 gallons of brew per girl based on the size of your plants (and this is after the girls have been prewatered and let rest for an hour or so)... just the way we do it (remember rule 1), most of the microlife lives in the top couple of inches... most not all... Yeah buddy Sensi kicks ass, and this year we have 3 phenos as well, a sat dom, a spicy indy dom, and a combo of the 2. None of which are the pheno we were looking for. Last year we had the citrus metallic pheno, oh yeah, da bomb. Loving the feedback post away.

Nomads Landing

Nomads Landing

In any event, I can't really get nettle to grow easily (or comfrey, another one that's popular for teas) without a lot of watering,
We can't keep the nettles down... lol... they pop up everywhere. They seem to be most successful if they get a lot of deep watering during sprouting, and tenderling stages, beyond that we stretch it out 3 - 5 days or so weather depending, again deep watering and breaking the water cycle into 2 parts. We are trying to get those roots into our clay where the water stays, here we get about 2" of water/soil evaporation from the Sun and wind. Oh and for our comfrey, we do moats, or near water drip leaks. Mullen is great for harsh bud, a 50/50 ratio gets rid of the cough, and the mullen is safe and tasteless.

Nomads Landing

Nomads Landing

peace mogrow

Oh hell yeah, that is some good shit there.

Nomads Landing

Nomads Landing

8-18 Update

At this point we were just happy to be able to snap some shots. We've been top dressing 2pts blood meal 1 pt guano... Still been hitting the N and K defs. Been clearing the girls out like crazy. It's been over 3 weeks now and as soon as we get through the bunch it's time to start over. American Crippler has increased in waviness, and both her and Brandy are starting to drop fan leaves, yellow to brown then the ground. The mites have started to congregate... aw man... we have started to vacuum but it takes a couple of days. We've also been pulling down on the girls SD, BD, the express, the purps, and og have all been getting real close to the plastic. The GDP in bed 18 is about 3 weeks into flower now, the early start was thanks to some cloudy days we had at the end of July, not quite enough to snap the more Sativa doms though. We also need to get our hands on some bark mulch, the sand has acted as a medium with the top dressings and the roots of many have grown up into the dressings. Also our first application of top dressing was to heavy, leading to N gassing, broke up the organic chunks of goo, worked in gently, all good. The girls are about at 16 gallons every other day now.

DSC 0126 Small

Bed 1 Blue Dream

DSC 0127 Small

Bed 2 Sensi Star

DSC 0128 Small

Bed 3 Blue Dream

DSC 0129 Small

Bed 4 Sensi Star

DSC 0130 Small

Bed 5 Sour Diesel

DSC 0131 Small

Bed 6 Pineapple Express

DSC 0132 Small

Bed 7 Pineapple Express

DSC 0133 Small

Bed 8 Ogre

DSC 0134 Small

Bed 9 UK Cheese

DSC 0135 Small

Bed 10 Sour Tsunami

DSC 0136 Small

Bed 11 Maui

DSC 0137 Small

Bed 12 Humboldt Purps

DSC 0138 Small

Bed 13 OG Kush

DSC 0139 Small

Bed 14 Brandy's OG

DSC 0140 Small

Bed 15 American Crippler

DSC 0141 Small

Bed 16 BlackBerry Kush

DSC 0142 Small

Bed 17 Cheese Quake 50-50

DSC 0143 Small

Bed 18 Grand Daddy Purple

Nomads Landing

Nomads Landing

On a up to real time post... the bugs have been outta control, the vacuum and previous neem applications have failed to provide the controls necessary. So yesterday we atomized Spinosa an organic bacteria that targets pest arthropods by exciting the nervous system to the point of dysfunction, contact spray or ingestion and if ingested 100% mortality rate, not beneficials except for honey bees, thank goodness they are all outside. .There is still some life but man... there is a major, major death rate within the first 24 hours, say 1o00:1 dead to alive mite ratio. Of course with the bugs another app in 4 days. The actual key here for us was the atomizer, with girls this size, and THIS FAR IN FLOWER, a sprayer would have been a bad idea.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Damn, it's only 8:30am, but just looking at those pix makes me want to grab a glass of wine and a joint and just go hang out in there.

Consider incorporating rosemary oil for the mite control. I've been battling them indoors for a bit, it's taken me longer because I've been experimenting using fresh rosemary macerated in rubbing alcohol, applied every third day. Now that I have my faux SNS217C concocted, if there are any mites left I'll be trying that to see how effective it is.

Yesterday's rain came rather unexpectedly. But I'm sure you're golden considering everything's covered.

I've been using my own atomizer, too. Good stuff, but it does take some adjustment to get it just right. :D

Nomads Landing

Nomads Landing

We've tried the SNS217C and it works really well on light populations (in our experience), but we unfortunately had a heavy infestation. I used the word had because after todays inspection I didn't see a single living 2 spot. Holy Shit! This would be the first.... lol... Another app is due Tues. Then we are going to order predator mites for our mom's as preventative maintence. The rain, oh yeah... and for us 3 days of freeze. Our neighbors took it hard, no film on their hoops yet and had to tear down about 35 or so. Man... we told them they could now officially join the Half Crop Club.;)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Try the culinary or medicinal rosemary macerated in rubbing alcohol. Do NOT use castille soap as an emulsifier, use vegetable glycerin or polyglyceryl oleate (sp?), or lauric acid may work if you get enough oil out of it. I can't remember where I posted my recipe.

Latest posts

Top Bottom