Noob Grower Questions

• Thread starter charlie70
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

charlie70

Hi all im new here im charlie.
A week ago my physician approved me here in cali to grow cannabis plants of any strain. So i had a couple questions. First of all if im doing this indoors what is the approximate amount i will spend on just growing, feeding, and smell proofing the room i grow in. What size does the room have to be in order to grow 1o plants?
Also can somebody explain the difficulties in growing and any complex things there are for growing indoors? My neighbor does not mind as long as there is no smell. I also read that flourescent lights work good because they do not use that much energy and i read leds are expensive but they also save money on the energy bill but i also read that grow results arent really gauranteed from them?
I just wanna know how much is the least i should spend on growing equipment for 10 plants and whats the least the yield could be if they are taken care of best. yes i know yield varies but i wouldnt mind a number.

Thank You

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Oh boy.. that's kind of a tall order. You can go very small, 10 plants in 1gal pots that are no larger than 18", which would allow you to use fluoros or CFLs. However, know that you'll have a hard time making some weight using these types of lighting. Not to say it can't be done, just that you'll continually have bud envy.

As for cost, again it really depends on how you plan to do the grow and where (tent, closet, basement, garage?). Inside you do need some form of environmental controls, and that will cost money and tends to become more than just an oscillating fan. And just how much you'll need to control environment is affected by things like what type of lighting you choose.

LED technology is getting there, but yes, it is very expensive to buy the equipment. I'm seeing some pretty impressive grows being done under LED lighting, though.

So, ballpark.. if you go on the really cheap, I think you're going to have to plan on about $300 or so to start, but that is, again, very much affected by what method of cultivation you choose to go with. If it goes very well, I think you can expect at most about a 8oz from 10 plants grown under fluoros. I suggest starting with soil, and honestly, growing outside instead of inside.

Unless your locality has laws that address things like smell, you have no legal obligation to do anything to address it. But, should you choose to, that's going to add to your costs.

C

charlie70

Oh boy.. that's kind of a tall order. You can go very small, 10 plants in 1gal pots that are no larger than 18", which would allow you to use fluoros or CFLs. However, know that you'll have a hard time making some weight using these types of lighting. Not to say it can't be done, just that you'll continually have bud envy.

As for cost, again it really depends on how you plan to do the grow and where (tent, closet, basement, garage?). Inside you do need some form of environmental controls, and that will cost money and tends to become more than just an oscillating fan. And just how much you'll need to control environment is affected by things like what type of lighting you choose.

LED technology is getting there, but yes, it is very expensive to buy the equipment. I'm seeing some pretty impressive grows being done under LED lighting, though.

So, ballpark.. if you go on the really cheap, I think you're going to have to plan on about $300 or so to start, but that is, again, very much affected by what method of cultivation you choose to go with. If it goes very well, I think you can expect at most about a 8oz from 10 plants grown under fluoros. I suggest starting with soil, and honestly, growing outside instead of inside.

Unless your locality has laws that address things like smell, you have no legal obligation to do anything to address it. But, should you choose to, that's going to add to your costs.

Thank you for the reply it did really help. I was just wondering how the hell do people get the one pound yields? I would be willing to just grow 4 plants just to get the one pound yield from each.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Getting a pound full requires light, Charlie. Fluoros and 10 plants won't do it. You'd need to either go outside (MUCH easier and cheaper in terms of the lighting, cus you just can't beat the Big Metal Halide in the Sky with a stick), or go with HID (high intensity discharge lighting, such as high pressure sodium, aka HPS, or metal halide, aka MH), possibly LED but that's gonna cost.

I use two 600W lights and can usually do 1lb/light. That is nowhere near the holy grail of 1gm/watt (454g/lb), but I'm happy with it because I don't spend huge bucks on nutrients.

S

stONEd.420

Is miracle grow bad for them I have some plants grow in miracle grow and their doing just fine will it make the bud taste bad ?!!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Soil? Ain't the best, many consider it the worst, but it'll do til you learn your way around, IMO/IME. Just go very easy on those chemical fertilizers (the blue stuff), that will make it taste harsh, guaranteed.

Top Bottom