Noob grower seeking any advice

• Thread starter Diynoobgrower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

Diynoobgrower

Ok so the order goes as followed… first pic sprouted 2/9/24, second & third pic sprouted 2/13/24, and the last guy 2/14/24… so from start to finish in the photos we will just call them 1,2,3 & 4. Soil for all plants is 1/2 ocean forest, 1/2 happy frog, and strawberry fields about a quarter of the pot at the bottom..

Plant 3 looks so odd to me, very dark leaves which I’m assuming is some kind of excess or lack of nutrients.. not only that but the plant just seems to be growing inwards if that makes sense? Just not getting as lush as the rest of the plants..I have been trying to kind of low stress train it with my fingers but nothing is working really. Should I just get rid of it, so it’s not competing with the others?

also last question.. everyone says not to feed right away with fox farm soil… it’s week 4 for plant 1 and like week 3 for the rest.. when should I feed these suckers? I APPRECIATE ANY AND ALL HELP ✌

Noon grower seeking any advice
Noon grower seeking any advice 2
Noon grower seeking any advice 3
Noon grower seeking any advice 4
PooToe

PooToe

Start feeding going into week 5. You can probably take it to the end of week 6 but why chance a deficiency? Maybe start with a half dose and go full dose after week 6?

Where did you learn to layer your soil horizon?

Plants look healthy but soil looks dry. Water time? Will you be doing any training?

R

Robbie62

If you’re feeding with something organic like Dr. Earth, I’d go ahead and feed them now before they are showing need, takes a couple waterings to start breaking down

D

Diynoobgrower

Start feeding going into week 5. You can probably take it to the end of week 6 but why chance a deficiency? Maybe start with a half dose and go full dose after week 6?

Plants look healthy but soil looks dry. Water time? Will you be doing any training?
Man I’m not gonna lie, I’m such a noob so I feel like I maybe made some mistakes already… which is fine because these are bag seeds that I spent nothing on.

For the soil, I just watched a couple videos of other growers using fox farm, and this seemed to be what they did.

That’s also what I’m getting confused about. I have been watering every other day not the entirety of the pot because I didn’t believe the plants were big enough yet to take in all that moisture (correct me if I’m wrong) I’m also using like a pressure sprayer, to water since my back is fucked up.. so maybe I’m not giving them as much water as they need.

As for another mistake, I believe I topped them all way too early and I feel like it kinda stunted their growth.

D

Diynoobgrower

looks like your not watering correctly,..
how do you water and how much?
I’m still learning, so I don’t really have a fixed amount.. just going based off of how saturated the soil looks. I probably have been watering too light… around week 3-4 how heavy should I be watering each plant?

D

Diynoobgrower

Also I would like to try LST but don’t have a trellis net yet, I’ve been kinda shaping the plants with my fingers (if that actually works…) saw it on a video 😅

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
I’m still learning, so I don’t really have a fixed amount.. just going based off of how saturated the soil looks. I probably have been watering too light… around week 3-4 how heavy should I be watering each plant?
you explain it in your last post,. your watering too often and you need to saturate all of the medium than wait till dry to water again,.,
what size bags are those?
your soil is fine,.,

D

Diynoobgrower

the improper watering is one way of stunting your plants beyond other issues it can create,..
Ok noted.. the bags are 5 gallon. I only transplanted once into those from solo cups.. which I know most people do another size in between, but I’m broke and just working with what I could afford. As for the watering.. I will let it dry out this time around and water it more thoroughly. Any recommendation on amount of water per plant?

PooToe

PooToe

I like to use a 2 liter soda bottle to water if I'm only watering one or two plants. I poke holes in the top and fill it with prepared feed solution. The top keeps the water from creating mud holes and spreads the water evenly over the soil. This last run I used FloraFlex Matrix pads and watering plates and they worked great! I used them with an automated irrigation system but using them to hand water was also great. Kept me from watering too fast where water is running out the sides of the bags.

I use 7 gal bags and it takes me two 2 liter bottles, about a gallon, to fully satiate the soil media with a small amount of runoff.

Watering is one of the first things newbs should learn to do properly. I use the light pot method and it has worked well for me. After your plants get going you don't really need to lift them every time to see if they need to be watered. You'll notice a pattern and can stick to it but still check periodically as the plants water intake will change as it goes through the stages of growth.

D

Diynoobgrower

I like to use a 2 liter soda bottle to water if I'm only watering one or two plants. I poke holes in the top and fill it with prepared feed solution. The top keeps the water from creating mud holes and spreads the water evenly over the soil. This last run I used FloraFlex Matrix pads and watering plates and they worked great! I used them with an automated irrigation system but using them to hand water was also great. Kept me from watering too fast where water is running out the sides of the bags.

I use 7 gal bags and it takes me two 2 liter bottles, about a gallon, to fully satiate the soil media with a small amount of runoff.

Watering is one of the first things newbs should learn to do properly. I use the light pot method and it has worked well for me. After your plants get going you don't really need to lift them every time to see if they need to be watered. You'll notice a pattern and can stick to it but still check periodically as the plants water intake will change as it goes through the stages of growth.
Great info thanks!!

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Ok noted.. the bags are 5 gallon. I only transplanted once into those from solo cups.. which I know most people do another size in between, but I’m broke and just working with what I could afford. As for the watering.. I will let it dry out this time around and water it more thoroughly. Any recommendation on amount of water per plant?
a 5 gallon bag will take 3/4-1 gallon to water properly,. your plants should get 3/4 of a gallon spread across the surface than allowed to soak slowly (a good 5-10 min) before adding more, than repeat until done watering,..
when was last watering and how much did you give and take pictures of plants and post,..

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
a 5 gallon bag will take 3/4-1 gallon to water properly,. your plants should get 3/4 of a gallon spread across the surface than allowed to soak slowly (a good 5-10 min) before adding more, than repeat until done watering,..
when was last watering and how much did you give and take pictures of plants and post,..
oh the 3/4 gallon instead of a gallon for a few waterings,. why to have a quicker wet/dry cycle while allowing oxygen to be easily available to the roots to hopefully bounce out of the stuntiness they seem to have,.🤞,.

PooToe

PooToe

Great info thanks!!
BTW...Next time, when you fill your bags with soil, try filling them almost to the top so that the perched water table sits lower and you can get a longer tap root going down to the bottom.

I always tell people I help "build your roots and the foliage will follow".

F

fishmon

Man I’m not gonna lie, I’m such a noob so I feel like I maybe made some mistakes already… which is fine because these are bag seeds that I spent nothing on.

For the soil, I just watched a couple videos of other growers using fox farm, and this seemed to be what they did.

That’s also what I’m getting confused about. I have been watering every other day not the entirety of the pot because I didn’t believe the plants were big enough yet to take in all that moisture (correct me if I’m wrong) I’m also using like a pressure sprayer, to water since my back is fucked up.. so maybe I’m not giving them as much water as they need.

As for another mistake, I believe I topped them all way too early and I feel like it kinda stunted their growth.
I start in solos and happy frog. Around week 2 they're usually ready for one gal nursery pots (actually about 3 liter) 50/50 happy frog and ocean forest like you're doing. Growth will explode over the next week or two then I do 5 gal also 50/50 HF/OF. Last run I got a bad batch of HF with Hella low ph nearly ended the run before I was able to turn things around. Recommend a slurry test on HF or any other mix a week or two before using. Can give time to correct using. 3 tbsp/gallon of soil of dolomite lime brought soil ph in line in my case. With your mix you probably won't need to introduce nutes until week 5ish and as others have said 1/2 strength or less. As far as topping, by early week 5 I've topped 3-4 times and lst under way. I let them coast the week before flip with no cutting. I'm on my 3rd crop of a perpetual grow and will flip first of week 6 from sprout. Subsequent starts will be a week or so earlier to bulk a tad more in veg. My filtered tap is around 150 ppm and regardless of nute brand I run into cal/mag issues so I'd recommend supplementing lightly with cal/mag occasionally on water only days to stay in front of that problem. You're doing fine.

Top Bottom