Noob Lollypopping Advise

• Thread starter druc
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
druc

druc

Hi again! Having this open forum to talk and learn about gardening has been invaluable tool for knowledge and info, so thank you!

This is my first run indoors and started for some seeds in a purchased bag of flowers a few years ago so I'm not to sure what I'm working with. I'm working in a 3'x'3 with a 315 CMH if it matters.

The photos shown below are of 2 plants grown from seed approx. 70 days ago and are just finished the first week of flower. One is growing in soil and the other in coco as an experiment to give me direction on how i want to continue for the next run. During the veg stage i did a lot of reading about removing large fan leaves to promote more rapid growth up top and LST methods. Working both of those methods seems to have worked for me, however I'm thinking i need more lollypopping during the flower cycle, just not sure where to start. Any other tips or comments on my plants condition or appearance is greatly appreciated.

Noob lollypopping advise
Noob lollypopping advise 2
Noob lollypopping advise 3
Noob lollypopping advise 4
Noob lollypopping advise 5
Noob lollypopping advise 6
Noob lollypopping advise 7
Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Lollypopping is basically removing all lower leaves, works if the plant is manilfolded , and or trellised.
Idea is to deprive the plant of any lower growth, promoting top cola growth.
Looking at your pictures. I’d remove most if not all lower shoots. It won’t develop to much. Leaves are indicative of a sativa genome. So plants may stretch massively. So removing lower leaves and supporting the top may be something you should do as they begin the stages of flower

druc

druc

Lollypopping is basically removing all lower leaves, works if the plant is manilfolded , and or trellised.
Idea is to deprive the plant of any lower growth, promoting top cola growth.
Looking at your pictures. I’d remove most if not all lower shoots. It won’t develop to much. Leaves are indicative of a sativa genome. So plants may stretch massively. So removing lower leaves and supporting the top may be something you should do as they begin the stages of flower
When is it to late to start this process and how far up should i go on the plant?

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
22CE9781 AA52 4E6E 8302 BBC6F27FAC10
I’ve done it 4weeks into flower, and typically I go up to main branch , where they start to fork off. And clean everything below.
This is an example of one in the process was a tall plant and I chopped it up and flattened the top. Left 4 vertical shoots as an experiment to see what happens if I do both.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
This is 1.5 week after.

They fill out fast. It’s now into a few more weeks of veg before I start flowering. In a green house , so I’m going for a season grow on this batch .

6BCACB1F 20CB 4E42 ADA5 EEEB180FA5D1
Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Some just lollipoped, flat top, before and after .
Bottom pics is the first to first pic as most current.
I took em out of 24/0 and stuck em outside last month, they started to flower, I didn’t want em to yet, so massive defoliation, then, scrog. And hit with higher nitrogen. Week later they looking well into veg and ready for outdoor cycle

F084A1F2 D454 4837 B9A8 4B45CEAB2B24
6B1ACA41 D16F 4388 B4D6 4E1A0078D8AD
6C915697 0518 438B 8A7F 4FA349767A24
479C3E96 4F59 4FB0 8D85 DF41062020B0
F2D523EB 98BB 4CAE A426 CCBEF5807F2B
Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
The last pic is what it looked like after I chopped the snot out of her. , second from bottom is week later and top pic is like 3 days ago.
Using the screen, use zip ties to hold the stems if using this method.
I have like 30-38 main colas now , whereas I had 4-5 before i started the process to do the trellis .
It’s shocking but it works. I commercially grow , this at home is for my dad, special landrace breeds that I breed for him. And me:)

druc

druc

The last pic is what it looked like after I chopped the snot out of her. , second from bottom is week later and top pic is like 3 days ago
Thanks for that! i'm going to clean them up tomorrow and see how they go. Is it better to clean them before the day starts or as it ends?

RooR5mm

RooR5mm

Typically you would strip all the bs off a week before flower to let it heal before the flip and clean the new small growth again after week 2 or when the stretch is done. You don’t know the flower length so it is what it is.

Strip it up 1/3, I’d leave all the fan leaves on the whole way down the stalks, remove the few on the bottom that are getting into the soil. This way in case you fook up and are late on a feeding or if it finishes early it will give you some breathing room till you know the variety.

How tall are they and how high is your fixture?
I’d also whack the top 1/4-1/3 personally if that is going to be remotely an issue. Either way you might have to super-crop the colas. They are going to be blocking everything and it is going to be larfy junk for the butter or whatever.

Tomato cages are your friends if you aren’t trellising.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Time of day wouldn’t matter unless , say it’s freaking 90-100dg F, then I’d do it say when it’s a bit cooler. If indoors , anytime would be ok. And yes typically I train before I flip to flower but in a pinch it can be later but it may slow down flower. As the plant needs time to recoup. Like roor said, supercrop ( pinch the stems till they feel “loose or soft” without breaking stem) look up supercrop. I start with monster crop clones, (clones that are taken in flower)( train)(super crop)(trellis:scrog) all my plants. The yields are amazing
Check out this pic
This one is super cropped only, blueberry at the farm, true 4 pounder per plant

3C7517BA BAFF 4F9E 98B3 F36ECEED9722
TerpyTyrone

TerpyTyrone

The last pic is what it looked like after I chopped the snot out of her. , second from bottom is week later and top pic is like 3 days ago.
Using the screen, use zip ties to hold the stems if using this method.
I have like 30-38 main colas now , whereas I had 4-5 before i started the process to do the trellis .
It’s shocking but it works. I commercially grow , this at home is for my dad, special landrace breeds that I breed for him. And me:)
Thsts my favorite thing about this technique! They look so sad, and hurt. Then BOOoOOO
Examples of lollipop at farm
No soggy feet without using a drip pan? Commercial growers put it right on the concrete slab? Coir or soil?
Your Bud,
-Ty

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
It’s on soil, with weed mat. We have drip system that does to to ppm/ gal vs pot size. Growing on super soil, living soil so, just minor supplement is all that’s needed

Enforcer

Enforcer

Hi why do you lollypop your plants??
I remove the lower 1/3 of the plants shoots and leaves. The reason is because the buds need light to get big. Usually, the buds in the lower 1/3 are shaded and will result in small larfy buds that are really only good for hash or butter making. Removing these branches will allow the plant to direct all its energy into the top flowers where all the light is. The end goal is no larf and big top colas.

P

Pass2TheLeft

I remove the lower 1/3 of the plants shoots and leaves. The reason is because the buds need light to get big. Usually, the buds in the lower 1/3 are shaded and will result in small larfy buds that are really only good for hash or butter making. Removing these branches will allow the plant to direct all its energy into the top flowers where all the light is. The end goal is no larf and big top colas.
Bro sorry to be a pest but you just lowered your yield massively why not double harvest get way more yield?? I have friends that triple harvest im not that extreme

P

Pass2TheLeft

Sorry everytime i see lollypopping i feel sad people obviously dont understand there lowering there yield and slowing down plants growth

Enforcer

Enforcer

Bro sorry to be a pest but you just lowered your yield massively why not double harvest get way more yield?? I have friends that triple harvest im not that extreme
It depends on your growing style. Outdoor, lollipoping can be counter productive. Indoor it’s almost a requirement. I have tried it both ways indoors. Bigger top colas and less useless trimming using the lollipop technique. Not to mention the reduction in the chance of mold and mildew due to the increased air flow.

At any rate, you asked why so I told you. You're free to disagree if you like. In fact, I’m going to disagree with you on the claim that not lollipoping would double my yields. If that was true, no one would lollipop....ever. I’m going to stick with what works.

These are on day 21 of flower. I think I’ll be perfectly happy with my yield.

6442C9BE 8526 4242 AEFE A6991B2A77C6
B901444B D9AF 46E2 95DA 82EC3A1CB3D9
F5C0AADB C3A2 4D17 A118 59CD109BDC85
Last edited:
P

Pass2TheLeft

It works better indoors double harvesting lol much much much better and the colas are not any bigger from lollypopping thats bs bro if you want bigger colas get a bigger light and grow bigger plants the bottoms are not ready weed is ready when the tris change indoors we can keep harvesting for upto 8 weeks if you dont lollypop yr plant

Top Bottom