Noob Looking For Some Advice

• Thread starter MW7945
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MW7945

MW7945

New here and to this type of thing, but not new to forum communities. I know this is going to be long, and most (if not all) questions have probably been asked a million times already. I've been creeping here for a while and got a few answered. So, in essence I appreciate anyone who takes the time to help me.

So I've attempted to grow outdoors before (sort of) and it didn't work out. Won't even discuss that. Anywho, I've ordered everything (I think) I need to start a smaller indoor grow. I know trial and error is the best route to go with these things, but let's be real here -- no one wants to waste a few months only to get a faulty finished product. I'm growing this for personal use. I've done a decent amount of research but there's just an unlimited amount of information out there and I don't feel some of it specifically answers what I'm looking for.. so:

As of now, I have a list here of what I have on the way

- 5 Afghani x Northern Light hybrid fem seeds
- 600w Viparspectra LED Light
- 36x36x72 tent
- Small 3 speed fan (maybe even medium sized)
- Digital Humidity/Temp monitor
- 5 Gallon Smart Pots (multiple)
- Programmable Outlet Timer
- Mother Earth Coco Coir + Perlite (I believe pre-mixed 70/30 ratio)

As far as liquids:
General Hydroponics Flora Grow
General Hydroponics Bloom
General Hydroponics Micro
General Hydroponics FloraKleen
General Hydroponics CALiMAGic
General Hydroponics PH Up/Down (and test kit)
Neem Oil

I don't have an odor control system yet as I don't really need it yet, and from what I gather the LED light really shouldn't cause any heat issues in there.

Anywho, now I have a few questions.

As far as the seeds I got, they're supposed to be quite short. Roughly a foot or so tall, and rather bushy. In this size of a tent (36x36), with the light I have (I believe the actual watts are 275) what would you recommend I plant in there in terms of numbers? 2, 3, or maybe even 4? Will I get the same yield out of two plants as I would four -- as they won't be competing for light?

Can I do my flushes with hard water? As in --- I have an RO system which will be mainly used for watering, but it's a small system. Flushing appears to take quite a bit of water, so ideally I want to flush with sink water (it's really fking bad here, like 700 ppm), and come back through with one shot of RO water to finish the flush off.

Do I have all the right nutrients? Or, at least the "basics" covered? I know there's a ton of other ones out there but a lot of feedback seems to point towards them being unnecessary.

I probably have a few more questions I'm forgetting. But any input or advice would be greatly appreciated.

MW7945

MW7945

Also, the coco I got is ph buffered to 6.5, but I always see 5.8 ph recommended for coco.. so... which do I go with?

fatawa

fatawa

In this size of a tent (36x36), with the light I have (I believe the actual watts are 275) what would you recommend I plant in there in terms of numbers?
1 plant(imo)

Will I get the same yield out of two plants as I would four
yes...yur only as good as yur light.so weather u hav 1 or 3 plants total will b only what light is capable of.

Do I have all the right nutrients? Or, at least the "basics" covered?
i think u do.if u were trying to use that tap water for flush try "florakleen"

Haha right on! Just be careful

Dan789

Dan789

@MW7945
Good luck out the gate with coco. Imo I'd be doing a soil grow but that's up to you.
I'd be spending my time reading and learning, then see if I could kill it in any particular style, then branch out for the different mediums.
PS, I'd start searching this site for all the particulars of coco, no one can lead you to a good successful grow, that you have to do by your self, to what you know and what your plants are telling you.
PSS, welcome to the farm.

1sttimegro

1sttimegro

Im sorry to barge in but i need help... Like now.

I came home from work to find this

I taped up some support for her (sticky side down) what else can i do for her to help that branch make it or is my whole plant going to freakin die or what? Im freakin out man. Help me please.

Received 1427859390586416
Screenshot 2017 05 11 19 06 20
Dan789

Dan789

So what I'm seeing is one fan leave that s been broken, but can't exactly see the damage. That alone shouldn't kill your plant, give it a few days and see if it's still green, if so then you'll want to fashion a little more elegant support. You should be ok. Chill, take a deep breath.

fatawa

fatawa

I'd be spending my time reading and learning, then see if I could kill it in any particular style, then branch out for the different mediums.
PS, I'd start searching this site for all the particulars of coco, no one can lead you to a good successful grow, that you have to do by your self, to what you know and what your plants are telling you.
very well said...

fatawa

fatawa

U can tape that up with just bout anything...i usualy use duct tape.sticky side to the plant wont hurt it.just cut an approriate sliver of tape.cover the whole wound..pretty easy actualy.

Farmer P

Farmer P

First off welcome to the farm! 5.8 for coco, and don't worry about flush for now since that is way far off and you have plenty of time to research. I would start with 6 plants and keep the best 3 or 4. One plant will fill your space, but it will take longer to fill it up. Speed is the object here. If all 6 look good keep them all. Scrog it out and flower when they start to show pre-flowers. (3 to 5 weeks) Keep studying! Searchbox coco. There is a lot of good info out there and start with the sticky threads. (they became sticky for a reason) Justiceman has some good coco info. Good luck and get some yellow sticky traps (lots) for preventative since gnats always want to show up. Get the good ones, not the cheap Chinese ones. I grew my last indoor grow without any gnats by using this method. (this is easier in the winter time) Be careful about bringing in pests on your clothes and shoes. Start with small containers like solo cups and move up as needed since you will be watering daily and you don't want to waste nutes. As a side I would stick with the ro water. 700 ppm water is outrageous.

1sttimegro

1sttimegro

It kinda bent at the base of the stem heres a pic of her right now from the top im new at this so i didmt know if i goofed it already its only been 3 weeks yesterday.

Just took two really deep breaths lol

I gave her just a little bit of water even though i watered a couple days ago was that a no no i figured it would help a little.

Top is before she broke her arm bottom is after.

20170511 125200
MW7945

MW7945

@MW7945
Good luck out the gate with coco. Imo I'd be doing a soil grow but that's up to you.
PSS, welcome to the farm.

I was kicking around the idea of using soil, but it seemed coco had some benefits for beginners as well. I think what drew me in was it's seemingly "impossible" to over-water it. I'm making sure PH of water is right. I'm potentially better off than most beginners as I was kind of born into a green-thumb family if you will. My dad is a farmer and my mom takes gardening to the next level. Basically, I've been growing plants all my life.

I know it's a trial and error type thing, you can't just learn everything from the internet, you just gotta do it. But it never hurts to ask. I've definitely put in some time researching and plan to put in quite a bit more. There's a LOT of information out there. Just gotta weed through the crap.

MW7945

MW7945

First off welcome to the farm! 5.8 for coco, and don't worry about flush for now since that is way far off and you have plenty of time to research. I would start with 6 plants and keep the best 3 or 4. One plant will fill your space, but it will take longer to fill it up. Speed is the object here. If all 6 look good keep them all. Scrog it out and flower when they start to show pre-flowers. (3 to 5 weeks) Keep studying! Searchbox coco. There is a lot of good info out there and start with the sticky threads. (they became sticky for a reason) Justiceman has some good coco info. Good luck and get some yellow sticky traps (lots) for preventative since gnats always want to show up. Get the good ones, not the cheap Chinese ones. I grew my last indoor grow without any gnats by using this method. (this is easier in the winter time) Be careful about bringing in pests on your clothes and shoes. Start with small containers like solo cups and move up as needed since you will be watering daily and you don't want to waste nutes. As a side I would stick with the ro water. 700 ppm water is outrageous.

Is Neemo Oil as effective as the sticky traps? I actually work from home so I won't necessarily be tracking in a whole lot of insects. I'm definitely sticking to RO water for regular watering/feeding though. As far as containers, I essentially have unlimited supply of various shapes and sizes for actual plants (with the drain holes already in them). That was another area I saw a lot of conflicting opinions on. Some say start in something small, others say to just start in your final one. Realistically I'll only have room in my tent for 4 plants, assuming I use the smartpots. The only reason I'm leaning towards one, is just to get the hang of things. I'd rather mess up and kill 1 than 4 or 5

Farmer P

Farmer P

There are of course a million ways to do it, I happen to love the coco. The growth is fast. ( it is technically hydroponic) Flush the coco with half strength nutes before planting. Make sure you get the ratios of your nutes right and the ph. (I start with calimagic to raise the ppm to 280, then floral nectar 2ml/gal which is optional, then canna a+b at 4ml to 5ml/gallon veg. 8 to 10 in flower. You will want to have 20 to 30 percent runoff. (If you put 1 gallon in you want approx 1/3 gallon out, 1/2 gallon in then 1/6 gallon out, just keep the ratios the same) If any plants start to claw or otherwise not seem to like the feed, cut back a little. Don't ever flush without at least half strength nutes. Feed with every water. No plain water. Less is more, but you at least give it the minimum which is 1/4 to 1/2 strength. Some strains like strong feed some like less. Soil is a different beast. With soil you can feed plain water, but you probably want 5 to 10 percent runoff and you can feed plain water every other time. In soil only water when the container gets light. (pick it up and feel the weight) ** Remember to watch for the claw, It generally means you've fed too much**.

Farmer P

Farmer P

It kinda bent at the base of the stem heres a pic of her right now from the top im new at this so i didmt know if i goofed it already its only been 3 weeks yesterday.

Just took two really deep breaths lol

I gave her just a little bit of water even though i watered a couple days ago was that a no no i figured it would help a little.

Top is before she broke her arm bottom is after.
Your plant looks great! Keep doing what you're doing, and don't worry about a broken fan leaf.

1sttimegro

1sttimegro

Ok thank you and im sorry to the owner of this thread didnt know how to make one il figure it out though. Thank you guys.

MW7945

MW7945

There are of course a million ways to do it, I happen to love the coco. The growth is fast. ( it is technically hydroponic) Flush the coco with half strength nutes before planting. Make sure you get the ratios of your nutes right and the ph. (I start with calimagic to raise the ppm to 280, then floral nectar 2ml/gal which is optional, then canna a+b at 4ml to 5ml/gallon veg. 8 to 10 in flower. You will want to have 20 to 30 percent runoff. (If you put 1 gallon in you want approx 1/3 gallon out, 1/2 gallon in then 1/6 gallon out, just keep the ratios the same) If any plants start to claw or otherwise not seem to like the feed, cut back a little. Don't ever flush without at least half strength nutes. Feed with every water. No plain water. Less is more, but you at least give it the minimum which is 1/4 to 1/2 strength. Some strains like strong feed some like less. Soil is a different beast. With soil you can feed plain water, but you probably want 5 to 10 percent runoff and you can feed plain water every other time. In soil only water when the container gets light. (pick it up and feel the weight) ** Remember to watch for the claw, It generally means you've fed too much**.

As far as 1 in 1/3 out, is that really something you can control? Or maybe I'm not understanding correctly what you mean by that?

Also, will a 4" intake/exhaust system suffice for this small of a tent? I live in a house by myself so I don't necessarily have to worry about smell too much, but obviously I don't want it to smell across the street. I guess I'm not sure what to expect as far as smell. Granted, it'll be a while before I actually need to worry about it

Farmer P

Farmer P

As far as 1 in 1/3 out, is that really something you can control? Or maybe I'm not understanding correctly what you mean by that?

Also, will a 4" intake/exhaust system suffice for this small of a tent? I live in a house by myself so I don't necessarily have to worry about smell too much, but obviously I don't want it to smell across the street. I guess I'm not sure what to expect as far as smell. Granted, it'll be a while before I actually need to worry about it
Yes you can control it by how much you put in. If you put a catchpan under it you can measure how much comes out. Let the water come out and move the plant to another pan, then dump the waste water into a measuring cup or a milk jug or something to get the idea of how much comes out. After a couple times you will know how much it takes. Then you don't really have to measure any more you just go by sight and past experience. I have 4 inch fan in my smaller box which is 3'x2'x5' and it works well. In my big box 3'x4'x8' I use a 6 in fan with a speed controller. I like the 6 in fan much better. You can google how much cfm (cubic feet per minute) do I need for my tent size.

MW7945

MW7945

Yes you can control it by how much you put in. If you put a catchpan under it you can measure how much comes out. Let the water come out and move the plant to another pan, then dump the waste water into a measuring cup or a milk jug or something to get the idea of how much comes out. After a couple times you will know how much it takes. Then you don't really have to measure any more you just go by sight and past experience. I have 4 inch fan in my smaller box which is 3'x2'x5' and it works well. In my big box 3'x4'x8' I use a 6 in fan with a speed controller. I like the 6 in fan much better. You can google how much cfm (cubic feet per minute) do I need for my tent size.

As far as a catchpan, is there anything recommended? I'm just thinking of getting a galvanized drain pan that holds 3 1/2 gallons.

Also, according to the site I found, I need 168 cfm. I found a 4" system that's 209 cfm, but I was told to account for 20% reduced pull from the filter, meaning I'd have to run that fan almost at 100%. I think I'll shoot for the 6" and run it at a much lower rpm.

Last edited:
Top Bottom