NOOB Needs Some Advice/Pointers.

• Thread starter Guy_Anon
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Guy_Anon

Guy_Anon

I'm starting to plan a grow for this year and since last years was a bust I need some thoughts/advice as I'm working on a very limited budget.

My plan is to start the seeds at the end of March and start them off inside until the weather permits and then move them outside.

I'm looking to start 6 maybe 7 plants and have the space and security to do an outdoor grow but the natural here soil is crap so I'll be growing in air pots. I'm wanting to keep everything as "organic" as I can and I'm starting the plants off in 1L air-pots and as they grow move them to 12 gallon air pots (as that's what I have on hand currently)

So question #1 is, since my natural soil here is crap, what's the best soil I can buy that will give the best results from start to finish?
Question #2 is, what would be the best and "easiest" organic fertilizer(s) on a limited budget to use from start to finish?

I know I'll have more questions as things progress and appreciate any and all help/thoughts/suggestions on this.

Homesteader

Homesteader

What country are you in? Many countries in Europe are prohibiting peat. Have you explored your local garden nursery and see what kind of soils are available?

Guy_Anon

Guy_Anon

What country are you in? Many countries in Europe are prohibiting peat. Have you explored your local garden nursery and see what kind of soils are available?
I'm in the US and I was planning on some visits next weekend to see what's around. But I was trying to get an "idea" from growers on what I should be looking for/using.

Anthem

Anthem

Thanks, I'll have a look.

The major reason for growing in pots is that our soil is clay and currently we're working on trying to condition what soil there is in a few plots for a garden but the clay is making it tough.
You will probably not have enough time to get the soil conditions correctly and move the plants to the soil. You could look into raised beds and make up a super soil. I have never done this while growing outside in a green house but the raised beds would allow you to take some time off and still keep the plants alive and not having to water everyday.
Secondly, I always purchased soil. Fox Farms Ocean Forest. I have seen some good batches and some no so good. Additionally, I always used liquid nutrients. Never dry but dry are much more economical. That said. If I was going to attempt what you are looking to do. I would probably make a super soil and get a simple 3 part nutrient water line for later in flower. Take a look online for Sub cools super soil mix. I have heard great things about it. But start the plants off in something that has less supersoil and transplant into the super soil

Guy_Anon

Guy_Anon

You will probably not have enough time to get the soil conditions correctly and move the plants to the soil. You could look into raised beds and make up a super soil. I have never done this while growing outside in a green house but the raised beds would allow you to take some time off and still keep the plants alive and not having to water everyday.
Secondly, I always purchased soil. Fox Farms Ocean Forest. I have seen some good batches and some no so good. Additionally, I always used liquid nutrients. Never dry but dry are much more economical. That said. If I was going to attempt what you are looking to do. I would probably make a super soil and get a simple 3 part nutrient water line for later in flower. Take a look online for Sub cools super soil mix. I have heard great things about it. But start the plants off in something that has less supersoil and transplant into the super soil
Thanks, I'll have look

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

When is the last time you ran a power tiller thru your yard?
Save up all your compost and till it into the ground. That's the fastest way to condition your soil.

Guy_Anon

Guy_Anon

When is the last time you ran a power tiller thru your yard?
Save up all your compost and till it into the ground. That's the fastest way to condition your soil.
Well, we just recently purchased the place so we haven't had much "summer" time to prep and we just got a power tiller so that's the plan for this summer. But that doesn't help for the upcoming growing season.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Well, we just recently purchased the place so we haven't had much "summer" time to prep and we just got a power tiller so that's the plan for this summer. But that doesn't help for the upcoming growing season.
A lot of us here us Promix or a similar type peat mix...Sunshine mix,,,,,i like ABS Greenworld their VPW30 is my go to but it's not available all the time...Promix has been the more expensive of them but its all relatively cheap at $30Cdn for a large 3.8 cu/ft compressed bale.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Tilling promix into your soil will help it loosen, but you still need humus. Old decaying leaves, stems, grasses and other plant parts.

Guy_Anon

Guy_Anon

Thanks everyone for advice.

I've been underwater with work but I've got some of of SubCool's super soil cooking up and that's what I'll be using for this grow. I know I'll be asking more questions as the summer goes on.

Kungpow420

Kungpow420

Thanks, I'll have a look.

The major reason for growing in pots is that our soil is clay and currently we're working on trying to condition what soil there is in a few plots for a garden but the clay is making it tough.

What I would do lower your plant count to 3 . Make sure they are all the same genetics/strain.
I would buy 3 bags of 1 cubic foot of ocean forest run you about 75 to 80 bucks.
Pick up some fish hydraslate 11 bucks
Craft blend from buildasoil.com 27 bucks
Build a flower top dress 27 bucks
Bag of earthworm castings from the same site 18 bucks
A small box of kelp meal amazon or whatever
Plant each plant into 1cubic ft of dirt
And make a teas starting at 2 weeks

Top Bottom