Noob question about mylar and foylon

• Thread starter ganjak
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

ganjak

Hi dudes,

So here is the thing, I'm pretty much ready to start my first indoor grow project and the only thing I haven't made my mind yet is what to use as reflective surface. I red tons about grow room designs and went out looking for what I thought is best for me - mylar, but since I live in the country of jokers and mediocre men I realized, after two weeks of searching, that I can't buy this stuff here.
Yestarday I came across of this:

DSCF6402.JPG
DSCF6403.JPG
DSCF6404.JPG

So I was wondering is this the mylar I need or just something that looks like it? (I can't spot it since I haven't seen it for sure). And if "yes" which side is the reflective one?

And one more thing, can anyone tell me for sure if this is foylon :
DSCF6407.JPG
DSCF6409.JPG

I can tell you that both were used to pack expensive medical equipment.

Which should I use if I want to be on the safe side?

Btw before dismissing this thread as rubbish, please consider that even in the technology desert there are people who want to do things in the best way.

Appreciate the input.
have fun

hiboy

hiboy

Looks like that would work, just not as much as a true reflector. Obviously u have internet, why not just order some
Unfortunately normally you have to buy a large amount
hiboy

S

ScarabGlass

Aluminum Foil works too. I don't care what anyone says. I'm using it and have no problems with hot spots. Aluminum foil and foil tape.

waayne

waayne

flat white paint or the dull side of aluminum foil are good low cost alternatives to mylar.....

G

ganjak

Come on guys!
I know you can do better. You don't tell me anything new, as I wrote above I've done my homework and I know about the cooking foil and the "flat white" approaches.

@ hibbo
Maaaan, both mylar and foylon are considered extremly efficient reflectors, so why do you say:
Looks like that would work, just not as much as a true reflector.
?

Do you mean you don't think thise are mylar and foylon?

Ordering is out of the question, lots of reasons.

Thanks anyway

have fun

LordDankinstien

LordDankinstien

Dude maybe your overthinking this whole thing a tad bit much. We gave good idea's thanks for the appreciation. Maybe you should contact nasa they probably can do better.

So I was wondering is this the mylar I need or just something that looks like it? (I can't spot it since I haven't seen it for sure). And if "yes" which side is the reflective one?

And one more thing, can anyone tell me for sure if this is foylon :

Not sure how anyone can be "for sure" if either is anything that you need. honestly, it won't make enough difference between all the options listed by others. Worry about lighting, good nutes, and finding a decent strain.

Asbestos4u

Asbestos4u

Just wondering, why do you have aginst the flat white approaches?

G

ganjak

Dude maybe your overthinking this whole thing a tad bit much. We gave good idea's thanks for the appreciation. Maybe you should contact nasa they probably can do better.

:D Perhaps you're right, I stop pushing so much. It's true, there are other important things to warry about, its just now was the time to worry about this one.

Just wondering, why do you have aginst the flat white approaches?
The grow box is being adjusted for being a grow box. It's originally something else and painting it white will cause notice in the far future.

Just one more and I drop this bs:

Which side of the supposed mylar should I use??? Just take a look at the second and third picture.

I keep thanking you
you keep having fun

convex

convex

Hard to tell you if it is/isn't mylar from a pic ... the flat side almost looks like a plastic.

Not sure how painting the inside of a box will draw attention.

Space blankets are a cheap option I suppose.

Cheers

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
i dont think thats even mylar - havent used mylar since the early 90's but I dont remember there being a reflective and non reflective side

if you cant go flat white paint then I would recommend panda plastic

mylar is overpriced shit:

a) it conducts electricity

b)it dont clean up well and if you like to foliar (and who doesnt) it wont last very long at all

Top Bottom