Noob root questions - not root rot for once!

• Thread starter Misanthrope
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Misanthrope

Misanthrope

Should I untangle the roots when they're like this or just leave them be? If some parts are much longer than the general mass should they be pruned? In my case the roots are primarily emerging from only one side of the net pot - is this unusual? How does it occur and is there anything I can do to encourage roots on all sides? I'm so happy they're not covered in slime that I'm afraid to do anything, including a reservoir change

Noob root questions   not root rot for once
Cirroji

Cirroji

man i'm just a hotdog
Supporter
I am curious about the root cutting as being a soil grower that's like kicking the plant in the nuts - im curious to see as this just looks like a small root ball but clean.

there's tons of super experienced members here that grow that way - someone will help you!

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

Your roots look fine to me, perhaps a bit discolored and there may be a colony starting up there.

Symmetry is not important for root performance. Combs are for hair, leave them tangled, lol. I suggest you start a grow journal and post full plant photos and give all the information about your grow. If you need assistance, there are those who will/do try to help but will need all that info to better guide you in your grow.

Are you running a live res? Adding beneficial bacteria? Water temps? Environment? Again, give all the info you can think of even if you think it's not important.

Welcome to the farm, happy growing. I am not an expert but there may be things I can help you with.

Cheers!

Misanthrope

Misanthrope

I'm not running a diary on this one because it's just a spare GG clone I had that I tossed into a dwc for practice/learning. I've had 2 or 3 successful sterile grows and then after a 3 day power outage last spring every grow has been choked with root rot. About 3 weeks ago this one was a goner - all roots below the net cup were rotten. I literally yanked her out of the hydroton and washed the few roots left with tap water before planting her in fresh hydroton. I added 2mL/gallon Cronk Monkey Juice (B. Subtilis and B. Lichenformis) and used the reservoir solution to inoculate the medium. Worked for about a week until i did a reservoir change after which slime took over the few roots emerging from the net cup. As a last ditch effort I added 2.5mL Pond Sludge Remover and a squirt of Pond Clarifier (enzymes). A day or two later I had healthy white roots (the slight discoloration in the pic is from the nutrients, I believe). Other than the above, 1tsp/gallon of maxibloom is used, pH = 5.8-6.0, ec = 1.75, temp = 18°C. Air pump is 6.8L/min with a 4" disc air stone. The timeline isnt exact but an approximation - I really didnt expect her to last this long and didnt want to get emotionally invested after so much heartbreak lol

MICHGANDER9

MICHGANDER9

Be sure to clean your res REALLY GOOD if you've had root rot B4 itl just keep coming back I used 34% (food grade) peroxide for that change water frequently,keep water cool ,and aerate maybe clear res or I ran peroxide but honestly I QUIT hydro just because of the problem with what you have to many variables to contend with electric outages heavy metals and not sustainable ✌️ organic is the way to go you'll thank yourself and mother earth will thank you. Research it✌️Ron from Michigan

Top Bottom