Noob Wants Totop Or Fim

• Thread starter BobaJob
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BobaJob

BobaJob

Hi

So I want to either top or fim my girls but even after reading a whole heap of info', I still can't decide. The girls are around 4" tall and at their 5th node. I am in a 4 x 4 space and I would like to SCROG but can't decide which is best. I want as many colas as possible (obviously but I want predicable/symmetrical results. Also, would it be ok to fim top side branches and if so, when would be a good time to do so? At the same time as I top the top shoot, or after? Also I will be training them. Would it be a good idea to super crop them when I train them after topping?

Here's the girls at a little over 2 weeks since they popped above the soil

Noob wants totop or fim
Noob wants totop or fim 2
Noob wants totop or fim 3
Noob wants totop or fim 4

Thank you in advance

Regards

Peace

H

Highkev

Hi

So I want to either top or fim my girls but even after reading a whole heap of info', I still can't decide. The girls are around 4" tall and at their 5th node. I am in a 4 x 4 space and I would like to SCROG but can't decide which is best. I want as many colas as possible (obviously but I want predicable/symmetrical results. Also, would it be ok to fim top side branches and if so, when would be a good time to do so? At the same time as I top the top shoot, or after? Also I will be training them. Would it be a good idea to super crop them when I train them after topping?

Here's the girls at a little over 2 weeks since they popped above the soil

View attachment 859682 View attachment 859683 View attachment 859684 View attachment 859685

Thank you in advance

Regards

Peace
You should research main lining you will like it.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I agree with @Nugg maybe let it grow a few more weeks so you have some structure to work with.

Personally I just bend them and tie them down by week 2 in 12/12. Then train the branches as they come up.

I have always had worse results training young veg plants. If i top them (usually clones) i wait for 5-6 nodes.

BobaJob

BobaJob

Thanks people really appreciate the help. I was thinking they're a bit short to be bending and tying down. I'll do as you advised. I'll wait and slowly as they're growing train them to grow horizontally and the top, then when the side branched start to get long enough top them too, then go to 12/12 and work them in to my net as they do that final stretch thing. Well that's the plan. Dies that sound like a good plan?

Thanks again for the

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

You're way over thinking this. It doesn't matter much. Just nip the tip, and have a homebrew. Then you're set up to start mainlining, which is a good plan, or LST'ing the resulting tops, which is also a good plan. Either plan starts with a nip and a homebrew. :)

If you do it now, you'll get four leads. Wait for a couple more leaf sets, you'll get more leads. You could do it now, or wait a week. It won't hurt much either way.

Last edited:
BobaJob

BobaJob

Yeah I think i'm going to give them a little while longer as advised and then start. I'll wait untill I got 5 proper leaf sets and then top and bend, then when the other side branches/growth starts to take over I will top and train that stuff.

Thanks for all the help/advice people, you're maiing it much easier to know/decide what to do.

peace

Cookiebone13

Cookiebone13

I agree with @Nugg maybe let it grow a few more weeks so you have some structure to work with.

Personally I just bend them and tie them down by week 2 in 12/12. Then train the branches as they come up.

I have always had worse results training young veg plants. If i top them (usually clones) i wait for 5-6 nodes.
That’s what I did, topped and bent them and kept them tied down, very easy to do and works great, supercropped 2 of the plants to test that out as well. Will probably be supercropping from now on with training and the net. Look up those techniques boba, you will have good success if you research them before you try it out so you can get a little background in it

BobaJob

BobaJob

That’s what I did, topped and bent them and kept them tied down, very easy to do and works great, supercropped 2 of the plants to test that out as well. Will probably be supercropping from now on with training and the net. Look up those techniques boba, you will have good success if you research them before you try it out so you can get a little background in it

I am tempted to do it now before they get too tell because I have a parabolic hood with a vertical lamp, so I want them to be as low as possible before I start to flower them. Also though I can't decide between topping or Fimming. I am tempted to top the top one and then fim the sides while training them. I did look at super cropping but that makes me cringe, it seems a little barbaric lol

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I am tempted to do it now before they get too tell because I have a parabolic hood with a vertical lamp, so I want them to be as low as possible before I start to flower them. Also though I can't decide between topping or Fimming. I am tempted to top the top one and then fim the sides while training them. I did look at super cropping but that makes me cringe, it seems a little barbaric lol

I prefer LST because no plant material is removed and you get the main top cola and the side branching up. Also the plant keeps on growing with no delay.

But with aggressive stretchers i still supercrop branches as needed and use stakes and soft tie wire to keep branches down.

Cookiebone13

Cookiebone13

I prefer LST because no plant material is removed and you get the main top cola and the side branching up. Also the plant keeps on growing with no delay.

But with aggressive stretchers i still supercrop branches as needed and use stakes and soft tie wire to keep branches down.
Check out my grow @MIMedGrower, bobajob, I only topped once then right after I topped I bent them and tied them down

BobaJob

BobaJob

Little off topic - what sort of dried usable green can I expect per plant with just a top and LST? I have a 4 x 4 x 8 tent, 4 plants (1 p/sqf) with a 600w HPS (I have super lumins).

Thanks in advance

Peace

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Little off topic - what sort of dried usable green can I expect per plant with just a top and LST? I have a 4 x 4 x 8 tent, 4 plants (1 p/sqf) with a 600w HPS (I have super lumins).

Thanks in advance

Peace

No one can even guess.

I can tell you my first grow was in a 4x4 with a 600hps (400 mh for veg) and 5 greenhouse seeds northern light autos in 5 gallon nursery pots of happy frog and perlite.

I got 15 oz dry and a bunch of bud leaf trim for butter.

BobaJob

BobaJob

That, my friend is very good news indeed! I have 4 Critical + 2.0 in 5 gallon pots (well they're 32 litre Root Pouches with 25 litres of soil) with the light and tent mentioned above. 15 ox of green would keep me and the Mrs happy for quite a while. Just worked it out and that works out at 420 grams lol. wow. wouldn't that me more than 1 gpw before drying?

Peace

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

That, my friend is very good news indeed! I have 4 Critical + 2.0 in 5 gallon pots (well they're 32 litre Root Pouches with 25 litres of soil) with the light and tent mentioned above. 15 ox of green would keep me and the Mrs happy for quite a while. Just worked it out and that works out at 420 grams lol. wow. wouldn't that me more than 1 gpw before drying?

Peace

Dry weight tends to be 20%-25% of qet weight.

Gpw is a bit of an inacurate measure as veg time should be considered but its ok to judge our own results and improvements.

1 gpw with 600 watts of light would be 600 grams. I have done a bit better with my hps and 4 known clones. But average right around .9 with 4 plants in a 4x4 area. When grown together. I stagger my grow now.

Top Bottom