Noobs need help with starting seeds

• Thread starter bongtime
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bongtime

right here goes i started some seeds in rockwool the rockwool was soaked in
formalex..ph6.7 some of the seeds turned to mush and some went thin at the bottom of the stem and broke so i am here to get help..with starting this new pack ov seeds i have some rockwool cubes left..i have read i should ph the water for rockwool to ph5.0 and leave rockwool cubes in it for 24hours..before use another thing should i soak seeds is glass ov water for 24hrs or until the root comes out of seed..then place into rockwool....any help would be superb as i dont have enough cash to keep buying new seeds..bong

SmokeyPipes

SmokeyPipes

Basically you over watered, Are you going to be doing Hydro,If not you should try starting them out in a starter mix,also do a search and you should find some info on how others germinate there seeds,not sure what seeds your popping,But start with one at a time till you get it right!!

B

bongtime

hi thanx for the reply yeah there going into hydro ghe aquafarm i just need to no what ph i need to soak rockwool in?? for starting seeds....bong

Str8Dank

Str8Dank

i'll be honest with you skip that shit ass rockwool. for real i hate that stuff it's way to easy to over water it. i've successfully used it many times but i dont like that stuff.

fold up a few pieces of paper towel
soak it
ring it out until it's not dripping water anymore but no more no less
place seeds on it and folder the paper towel over the seeds
place somewhere warm (heating mat or the top of the fridge)
check them daily and if the paper towel dries out (i've had it go bone dry many times) just wet it again and keep it wet until you check and all the beans have popped.

in a few days you have popped beans. use a inert medium like soiless and poke a hole with a pencil and just bury them like 1/4" below the soil and keep the surface around where you buried it moist.

seeds pop in just like 2-3 days and when in the cups of soiless then pop out of the surface usually overnight and from there it's smooth sailing. i hate beans and dont consider myself great at popping them but what i explained above is simple as hell and has worked for me every time with a great success rate. i just popped 6 beans and 5 are in cups looking great and one bean just never popped. if it didn't pop in the paper towel it wouldn't have popped anyways so i call it 100% success rate of viable beans.

crom

crom

Cannobi Genetics
Supporter
right here goes i started some seeds in rockwool the rockwool was soaked in
formalex..ph6.7 some of the seeds turned to mush and some went thin at the bottom of the stem and broke so i am here to get help..with starting this new pack ov seeds i have some rockwool cubes left..i have read i should ph the water for rockwool to ph5.0 and leave rockwool cubes in it for 24hours..before use another thing should i soak seeds is glass ov water for 24hrs or until the root comes out of seed..then place into rockwool....any help would be superb as i dont have enough cash to keep buying new seeds..bong

check out my thread it has pictures and explains what I feel is a pretty solid method for starting 'precious' beans that you can't afford to loose. I also agree that rockwool sucks. I just feel it's not necessary. Not to mention that you need to do something with the product prior to use? I get it, I do. Just seems like you could just go a different route. Hell I never used them, but Rapid Rooters look pretty legit from what I have seen. Best of luck with your babies! :passingjoint:

Here is the link to my thread if you want to check it out.

seed starting tutorial

Str8Dank

Str8Dank

i tried every medium for popping clones and rapid rooters are my fave (even over my aero cloner). i would for sure use them for popping beans as well i'm sure they would work awesome

P

Perfecto

I use this method when trying to save bean that did not pop in coco.
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpKYEIt84qo&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/YOUTUBE]

I

ibTheMan

For sure ditch the rockwool, it suck. coco NO FERT! at all, just water till roots.

M

memphismick

I have to agree with the paper towel method, has worked great for me year after year!

B

bongtime

right...everyone...i..have...11..seeds..germed.they...have..a.cpl...of..small..
leaves...time..to..feed..i..think!!...i...have..bought..root..excellerator..is..it..safe..to..give..to...young..seedlings..in..rockwool...and..feed..at..ph5.8...cheers
bong

crom

crom

Cannobi Genetics
Supporter
right...everyone...i..have...11..seeds..germed.they...have..a.cpl...of..small..
leaves...time..to..feed..i..think!!...i...have..bought..root..excellerator..is..it..safe..to..give..to...young..seedlings..in..rockwool...and..feed..at..ph5.8...cheers
bong

I would use the least amount of nutes as possible so you don't kill the babies. If you must use some nutes less is more. I would maybe do a 1/4 strength ORGANIC nute and see what happens. No strong chems as it could kill the little one. Let the plant tell you what it needs. If it looks happy and green let it be. The cotlydons will yellow and fall on their own so don't stress that. Just get though the next few weeks and she/he will be in a vegatative state and will enjoy some nutes.

Cheers,
Crom

F

FORMULA51

thinkin i need to gather some seeds. seems everything in CO is renamed BS clones. I have some DQ that i'm sure of, but others ive got were all cryptic nonsense

Misterdirt

Misterdirt

Before germinating seeds, do as the seedbanks say and check the laws in your local jurisdiction to see if it's legal.

I discovered, much to my chagrin, it's illegal. Then I used the paper towel method.

Misterdirt

Misterdirt

BTW bongtime, I know it's hard, but try to resist fertilizing or giving additives to a seedling. You'll have plenty of time to over-baby them in a couple of weeks, and they are less likely to die as a result.

Also remember that plants need oxygen in the soil as well as water. Over watering is probably the most common mistake people make in the beginning. (But not me. I would NEVER make a common mistake. NEVER I say.)

B

beancounter

i've tried pretty much every germing tech out there and now I just use a small yogurt container (or anything not clear that holds water) or a mug and i put like 5mls (essentially just a small splash) of H2O2 (hydrogen Peroxide) then fill it about 1/2 way full of tap water (I have 7-12ppm tap water, so if your have hard water use filtered or bottled water for better success, altho it's probly a minimal dif) and I just throw however many seeds i'm popping (usually 30ish at a time, but you could do 1 or 100) into the container, label it (cause i'm usually doing a few dif seeds at once), then put it in a warm and darkish place (for me that's on a high shelf above my flowering area and i just move a box or something in front to keep it a lil darker) and within 12-24 hrs they start popping. I only plant my seed essentially right under the surface of the soil (like literally just a mm or less of soil on top, & because i use a nute free mix i do wet everything down with lucas's recipe for soaking rockwell for cloning (i agree that rockwell is no good for seeds) which is like 1ml micro/1ml gro/1ml bloom or around that, but that's optional.

The paper towel method works and is proven but sometimes people keep them too wet or let them dryout by accident, both resulting in death. in a cup of water (no lid) they continue to get O2 by floating and also the H2O2 in the water helps. i've forgotten abut seeds in cups of water for 4 days and the seeds may sink and have 1-2" tails and no shells, but they're still alive and plantable. so it's pretty foolproof in my exp.

I like to start my seeds in the same mix i grow in, same with cloning. I used to use peat pellets, those spongy looking rooters (i forget the name), rockwell, etc etc, but i found it best to just start everything in your main mix, there's less transition time, and it's WAY cheaper than buying any seed/clone starting cubes/pellets. one thing i really hate about rockwell is that it does not decompose, ever.

if you are using a 3-4" starting pot, and an unammended mix (coco, SSMix#4, Promix HP) your plants will usually take about 1/2 strength nutes one their 1st real dryout/watering.. by the second dryout, they should be able to take 3/4-full strength nutes.. alot of this depends on your lighting/temps etc.. I use a T5 setup and my temps are about 70-75 and my lights are on 24/0.

Be careful about feeding, but i've had and seen more problems with underfeeding (in nute free mixes).. the plants go yellow and the leaves kinda curl down, and it looks like maybe your overfeeding so then people flush and make the probem even worse.. so be careful, but yer seedling will definately take some nutes on their 1st real dry out.. the seed will provide food for the plant for about 4-7 days depending on the seed size.

This^ is just my humble opinion and information from popping 1000s of seeds with a success rate of at least 99%, but it's usually 100%.

Good luck :)

Top Bottom