NORML’s Weekly Legislative Round Up

• Thread starter Cali smoke
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cali smoke

Cali smoke

NORML’s Weekly Legislative Round Up
March 18th, 2009 By: Paul Armentano, NORML Deputy Director

As I’ve written previously, more states are moving forward to reduce or eliminate criminal penalties for marijuana offenses. This week has been no exception.

If you have not yet gotten active in your state, now is most definitely the time to start. Here’s this week’s latest summary of how you can get involved!

California: California’s first-ever marijuana legalization bill, Assembly Bill 390: The Marijuana Control, Regulation and Education Act, is tentatively scheduled for a hearing before the Committee on Public Safety and Health on Tuesday, March 31. The Committee is expected to vote on this proposal immediately following the hearing so it is vital that you contact your elected officials, and the members of the Public Safety Committee in particular, and urge them to support AB 390. Contact information for the Committee is available here. You may also send letters in support of this measure to your state assemblyman here. For additional information on this hearing, or if you are interested in attending, please contact California NORML.

New Hampshire: Earlier today, members of the House Health, Human Services & Elderly Affairs Committee voted 13 to 7 in favor of House Bill 648, which seeks to legalize the use of medical cannabis in New Hampshire. The bill will now go before the full House with an “ought to pass” recommendation. Two years ago the House narrowly rejected a similar bill by a margin of 186 to 177. If you live in New Hampshire, now is the time to contact your House members and urge them to support HB 648. You can write them here. Our allies NH Compassion have any additional information you may need here.

Montana: On Friday, March 20, members of the House Human Services Committee will hear testimony in support of Senate Bill 326, an act to provide greater access to medical marijuana for state-authorized patients. If approved, this proposal would: (1) Expand the number of qualifying conditions for which marijuana may be legally recommended; (2) Increase the amount of marijuana a patient may legally possess; (3) Prohibit employers and landlords from discriminating against medicinal marijuana patients solely because of their medical status. Thanks in large part to your support, the Senate previously voted 28 to 22 in favor of this measure. Please assure that the House does likewise. You can contact your representatives here. Local allies Montana Patients and Families United will be meeting with witnesses and attendees prior to the hearing. You may contact them here.

Kentucky: Finally, we have good news to report from Kentucky. Last week we asked for your help to kill an amendment that sought to criminalize anyone who operates a motor vehicle with any detectable level of marijuana in their blood. Many of you responded and as a result, the provision was withdrawn. While we’re not entirely out of the woods yet, it’s now looking far less likely that lawmakers will prevail in their attempt to misuse the state’s traffic safety laws to target marijuana consumers.

To learn about additional pending legislation in Alabama, Colorado, Connecticut, Hawaii, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri, New Jersey, Oregon, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, and Washington, please visit NORML’s Legislative Action Alerts page here.

Source: http://blog.norml.org/2009/03/18/normls-weekly-legislative-round-up-19/trackback/

T

the_seed

well hear comes big business....so make sure that everyone votes yes and kiss it all good by...

dj.scotfree

dj.scotfree

Hell Yea! But.... WTF is going on in the ILL state? The were supposed to vote on March 10th... when I go to the IL Gen Assem. website says that the last meeting was on the 9th..

HB2514​

I hope it passed and they are just keeping it quiet for a bit! I give part of my stash to one of my best friends that went blind from diabetes...has glaucoma too... WHEN CAN WE BE LEGIT? Oh.... not yet? are we still criminals...?

T

the_seed

med.only, med. only MED. ONLY MMMEEEDDD OOONNNLLLYY......If it goes legal we will kill ourselfs with our own sword.It will put big business in control,then they will produce there own seeds,(geneticly altered and inhansed) and reap the benifits we have all worked for OR HOW ABOUT ALL OF THE PEOPLE BEFORE US THAT SACRIFICED IT ALL, WENT TO JAIL, LOST THERE FAMILIES LOST IT ALL, FOR WHAT... WALL STREET, POWER HUNGRY CORPORATE BUSINESS PEOPLE TO TAKE IT ALL OVER ..we need a union between all of us ,strenght in numbers....take a look at Canada when it went legal.....2 to 5 hundred a pound...say goodbye to all the seed breeders as we know them.And as far as taxes go...to keep up with the demand your taxes would have to be more than the weed....This bill is put together by corporate lawyers who work for big business...Anyone here as big as wallgreens,safeway,cvs,hardrock cafe,rite aide,starbucks,dutchbrothers coffee.....KEEP IT MEDICAL........NO BIG BUSINESS.... WAKE UP PEOPLE THIS WILL BE THE END FOR US ALL...VOTE NO IF YOU WANT TO SURVIVE BECAUSE AT THIS POINT THE BIG BUSINESSES DONT CARE FOR THE SICK PEOPLE THEY CARE HOW MUCH THEY WILL MAKE WITH THE YOUNG KIDS THAT WANT TO GET HIGH ALL OF THE TIME, THEY CANT KEEP CIGARETTS OUT OF THE MOUTHS OF KIDS NOR ALCHOHOL OR PERSCRIPTION PILLS, THIS WILL BE THE END!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SAY NO TO CORPORATE AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WE ARE THE LAST OF A REVOLUTIONARY BREED WHOS BEEN HUNTED AND EXPLOiTED FOR GROWING MARIJUANA AND NOW THEY WANT TO EMBRACE US, WHAT DO YOU THINK IS IN IT FOR THEM, ( POWER ) OBAMA AND HIS CABINET ARE ALL ABOUT CORPORATE AMERICA, DONT BE FOOLED BY A WOLF IN SHEEPS CLOTHES!

P

pilot error

I have to disagree with the med-only people. This will be a good thing for everyone, imho. You'll still be able to grow your own, breed, etc.

S

S1CK0hh

^^^^^^^^^ i hope you've been stocking up on genetics. when this plant is legal am i going to get all the money and time back i spent being prosecuted for this plant....no, and the same people that have been locking us up our going to collect taxes off our herb, straight bs. that tax money should go to all people wrongly prosecuted for the herb they enjoy.

purpleberry

purpleberry

I agree with the medical use only in CA. If they make it legal and tax it, youll have to pay a big tax for each plant you have. Another tax when its sold in the shop. Street price may go down some, But it wont stop the illegal growers in the national parks, they will just ship it across state lines. It will just make CA more of a supplier for the rest of the usa.
They may try and stop alot of medical growers by not allowing you to grow in residential area, special permits ect ect. CA is so over regulated on everything. Id rather have my doctor tell me how much i can grow ;)

P

pilot error

^^^^^^^^^ i hope you've been stocking up on genetics.
Ya I have been but why do you ask?
when this plant is legal am i going to get all the money and time back i spent being prosecuted for this plant....no,
You're right you won't but at this time it's still illegal and that's the price we all pay until it is legal.
and the same people that have been locking us up our going to collect taxes off our herb, straight bs. that tax money should go to all people wrongly prosecuted for the herb they enjoy.
Taxes are a small price to pay and as it seems you've been busted before, and I was too, you know it's a hell of a cost in both time and money. It will also stop the further prosecution of everyone which is a good thing, no.

R

Ronin

Those bitching have obviously never done time. If things go legal it will be better for all of us other than the greedy.

T

the_seed

done time...no one who has done time or payed the price wants this in the hands of the same people that locked us up....goverment control, again big business.. all of our seed breeders will be gone...look at corn and the farming industry...geneticly enginered weed by people with degrees will be the only ones hired/...weed that wont mold..wont pollinate..wont herm...will turn purple all geneticly altered for big business and wall street....(ok there are a few pluses)but it wont be us any more..its funny how we have all stuck together...bought seeds shared hard times and good times..and now to see how far we are divided...If this passes,I would like to thank all the breeders and people who have gone before us....as we will one by one sign off and just turn into the masses...

P

pilot error

seed, I'm having a hard time understanding your logic here. First your statement of NO ONE who's done time/paid the price wants this legalized. Wrong. I'm one who's been there and wants it legal, so no one is a misstatement, and I'm sure others feel the same way.

And why do you think that the same people who are breeding now won't continue breeding after legalization? Breeders are not just located in the U.S. for one, so the rest of the world is going to quit breeding because it became legal here. And why would they even quit here in the U.S.?

I'm not being an ass here, just trying to understand your view but still can't see it.

pilot

T

the_seed

Do you think that big business will let just anyone gorw and make seeds and cut in on their profits...its just going to change the regulation and laws corporates will take over just like in farming today...and you are right there are those who have been busted and wish it were legal,,mostly so there cases would get droped and depending on the charge...but as far as i go i would not wish wallstreet to take over and us just be part of the gov.plan and then be hunted even more for being out of gov.compliance.Again it will be over for those who have fought and pushed to get it where we can grow free,just to have big business take it over...they have lied and smeared us,and now it is ok as long as they are running it..and it has nothing to do with them caring about med or anything else,just how much they can tax us...and they will find a way to control it and chemicaly treat it just like tabacco and everything else they get their greedy hands on..so now all the people that have gone broke are just looking for another way to support their incomes as they have become acustom to...so what will the real worth be when the priced dropes so low that it has no value on our scale...even your small grower will just go to the store and buy it, also it will cost more to grow it yourself than you would pay for it..say good-bye to alot of small business grow shops and other people who have depended on this just to stay afloat.again I am not against medical ,just whats going to happen after it goes wallstreet....Like just maybe Home Depot will be your next one stop grow shop, again big business...wallgreens is your next pharm. again big business....The same people who have call us criminals for smoking and growing and supported a system that prosecuited us,now wants to take it all over...they used propaganda to get it banned in the first place and again they what to embrace it now...what is wong with this picture???????They couldnt beat us..now they want to take it from us....after all were just a bunch of stoners to them......think outside the box

T

the_seed

seed, I'm having a hard time understanding your logic here. First your statement of NO ONE who's done time/paid the price wants this legalized. Wrong. I'm one who's been there and wants it legal, so no one is a misstatement, and I'm sure others feel the same way.

And why do you think that the same people who are breeding now won't continue breeding after legalization? Breeders are not just located in the U.S. for one, so the rest of the world is going to quit breeding because it became legal here. And why would they even quit here in the U.S.?

I'm not being an ass here, just trying to understand your view but still can't see it.

pilot

the reson why the breeders will go out of business is...big companies will geneticly enginer seeds that will not clone will not mold will not pollinate and grow og kush nugs the size of big bud...our business will be in the labs and hands of people that can make designer seeds...as it is right now we all bid and buy seeds...next step will be illegal to make seeds unless you are a pharmacy or something like that...How many farmer still run their farms?Who is controling all the seed ?They are altering our veg. our meats...whats next???our pot....It may not sound bad as it is written,but take a look around,do you realy think this is for the good of all,or just the good of them...Look at our system..like they have never lied to us before....again this is big business and it is all about them and what they can get out of us.....

P

pilot error

Answer me one question, what would stop you or anybody from continuing to do just what we're doing now (growing/breeding and for most, illegally)? They couldn't! You also didn't answer the question on what the rest of the world would do, quit because big business in this country said to. You buy groceries at the store but no one tells you you can't have a garden and grow your own veggies, make your own wine/brew. So imho your argument that we'll all have to pack it in when it's legal holds no merit. And as far as thinking outside the box, I think/live/breath outside the box hence my passion for seeing it legalized plus many other things.

pilot

T

the_seed

1)no market..2)people use to grow their own food even in small gardens around their house...how many people now are dependent on the large stores for food?(again corporate america)Nobody has to quit because big business said too,they will just simply put us out of business..by law or what ever means it takes..keep it medical... all I am saying is...Keep our breeders breeding,and our growers growing..DONT LET CORPORATE AMERICA TAKE IT OVER....

Top Bottom