• Thread starter The_Greenist
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
The_Greenist

The_Greenist

Northern lights msnl first grow
Fox Farm Grow in 4 inch pots
Spider Farmer 1000 light

( OF Soil, Big Bloom, Grow Big, Tiger Bloom, Open Sesame, Beastie Blooms, ChaChing and CalMag)

Three weeks from seed in veg then 12/12.

This is week three in flowering. Two Distinct phenotypes from same seed batch. One short a bushy with close nodes and another with more “stretch”.

No prunning but leaf tucking every watering.

Wish I would have went just a tad bigger on the pot size. Live and learn.

Last edited:
The_Greenist

The_Greenist

looks like the plants are getting too much light, maybe try lifting the light that will stop the leaf tucking.
Yeah, the taller one has some cupping and slight bleached leaf tips.

I have the light about 16 inches above plants but I did have it down to 12inches above per manufactures recommendation but that was too close.

By leaf tucking I mean I’m intentionally tucking fan leaves behind the budding sites.

I have a few brown spots forming on leaves, I’m guessing it’s some kind of a deficiency.

I will post pictures tomorrow and hopefully someone can help me diagnose.

The_Greenist

The_Greenist

Rule of thumb- light to high leaves will point up, light to low and the leaves will tuck under and when you have the light at the right hight the leaves will be horizontal to the floor
I haven’t heard that before, that’s a great way to look at it.

I’m going to take a look at tomorrow’s watering and study how the leaves are pointing.

I’m really impressed in how strong these cheaper led lights are.

T

tonythc

Yeah, the taller one has some cupping and slight bleached leaf tips.

I have the light about 16 inches above plants but I did have it down to 12inches above per manufactures recommendation but that was too close.

By leaf tucking I mean I’m intentionally tucking fan leaves behind the budding sites.

I have a few brown spots forming on leaves, I’m guessing it’s some kind of a deficiency.

I will post pictures tomorrow and hopefully someone can help me diagnose.

I haven’t heard that before, that’s a great way to look at it.

I’m going to take a look at tomorrow’s watering and study how the leaves are pointing.

I’m really impressed in how strong these cheaper led lights are.

T

tonythc

with that said the main problem you have is that the pot size is way to small for a plant that is 3 weeks into flower and the plant has started to dwarf most likely because the the pot has become root bound which in turn starts to starve the root zone of oxygen

The_Greenist

The_Greenist

with that said the main problem you have is that the pot size is way to small for a plant that is 3 weeks into flower and the plant has started to dwarf most likely because the the pot has become root bound which in turn starts to starve the root zone of oxygen
Yeah, I was inspired by solo cup grows so I wanted to try something similar.

I originally had them in a small space and was going to trim off lower branches and “lollipop” them but then I got a bigger tent and decided just to let them stay in 4inch pots and not trim branches instead.

I’m just amazed at small plants with giant terminal buds.

Porky1982

Porky1982

They look over fed! As long as you keep giving them what they need you can grow large plants with tiny containers!
You don't have light burn either!!

Screenshot 20231014 150940 Chrome

The_Greenist

The_Greenist

They look over fed! As long as you keep giving them what they need you can grow large plants with tiny containers!
You don't have light burn either!!

View attachment 2072822
Im doing fox farm fertilizers at 1/4 strength every watering.

I haven’t seen any nutrient burn yet.

I have a tds meter but haven’t used it yet to measure runoff.

How can you tell that they are over fed?

The_Greenist

The_Greenist

92568A61 67B0 4E87 9FEE 1F275772DB8E
Any ideas on what this is, just started on two plants recently?
B5FEFE0B 7E9F 4235 B126 28DCECF7E92C

T

tonythc

It’s root toxicity, lack of oxygen to the root zone, the lower leaves go first then it works it’s way up to the upper leaves

The_Greenist

The_Greenist

It’s root toxicity, lack of oxygen to the root zone, the lower leaves go first then it works it’s way up to the upper leaves
How do the other small container growers prevent this from happening?

The_Greenist

The_Greenist

I’m going to flush and take a TDS reading tomorrow.

Hopefully it comes calibrated from the manufacturer, I haven’t taken it out of the box yet.

I’m still thinking it’s nutrient lock out. I have been doing 1/4 strength ferts every watering probably time to flush and do a water,fert,water instead of fert,fert, fert.

When I was watering every other day no signs of these spots but the start of week 3 flowering they seem to need water every day.

T

tonythc

i wish i could help there as im not a fan of small container plants, i only use that size pot for about 1-2 weeks for freshly rooted clones and when i pull them out the pot the roots are jammed packed.
The reason you are seeing this in the 3rd week of flower is because root production slows dramatically at the start of week 3 of flower thats why it is import to build a solid growing base for the flower stage.

The_Greenist

The_Greenist

i wish i could help there as im not a fan of small container plants, i only use that size pot for about 1-2 weeks for freshly rooted clones and when i pull them out the pot the roots are jammed packed.
The reason you are seeing this in the 3rd week of flower is because root production slows dramatically at the start of week 3 of flower thats why it is import to build a solid growing base for the flower stage.
I can tell your not a fan of small container grows. Lol

They are goners, root toxicity has taken its hold….I’m going to chop them down, turn off the lights and throw them in the compost pile.

What a cruel world.

T

tonythc

Don’t be disheartened from the experience, look at it as it’s part of the learning curve, we have all been there.
I grew northern lights for about 4 years it’s a great strain that produces a very dense root system. Start with small pots and move up in size. When you are in the last 2 weeks of grow have a idea of the finishing size an pick a pot size that suits ✌️

The_Greenist

The_Greenist

I was kidding about chopping them down.

They will finish just fine just got to flush and cut back on ferts.

Latest posts

Top Bottom