Northern Lights Phosphorus Deficency?

• Thread starter Eastwind
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
hermit186

hermit186

As hard as you were feeding has effected the ph swing.
But if you flush with straight water it will shock and stress them hard use 1/4 strength and then only a small % I never use straight water after feeding hard.
In my case if you hit them with straight water all the locked nutrients are now free and it can stress the plant badly.
Also your nutrients mix must be consistent and a pinch of this and dap of that will not get you the consistency you need. When I mix my ppm's come out within 50ppm.
I have had to put a piece of Styrofoam between floor and bottom of pot.

Last edited:
mango420

mango420

You can feed with just water but i wouldnt be flushing them with just water. You need to pick up a ppm pen so you can see exactly how strong of feed you are giving them.

Eastwind

Eastwind

As hard as you were feeding has effected the ph swing.
But if you flush with straight water it will shock and stress them hard use 1/4 strength and then only a small % I never use straight water after feeding hard.
In my case if you hit them with straight water all the locked nutrients are now free and it can stress the plant badly.
Also your nutrients mix must be consistent and a pinch of this and dap of that will not get you the consistency you need. When I mix my ppm's come out within 50ppm.
I have had to put a piece of Styrofoam between floor and bottom of pot.
Hey hermit186, thanks for your input. Styrofoam ! I had not thought of that...but I have some and will use it today. It will support the weight and lift them up ( they sit in alum overflow trays on top of a rug). So, don't use straight water to flush? What should I be mixing with the water?

Eastwind

Eastwind

You can feed with just water but i wouldnt be flushing them with just water. You need to pick up a ppm pen so you can see exactly how strong of feed you are giving them.
Thanks about the pen Mango...but what is it I should be mixing in with the flush water?

hermit186

hermit186

I use the 3/4 in with foil. If you have been over feeding and (I use 800 to 900ppm in coco)was for long time and in dirt or a blend of most medias there will be a build up in the mix.
You have decided to flush and you will us the phed water to flush. The nutrients will be released all at once and make everything worse.
In your situation and ask others but I would cut by half next water by half again and do that 3 times if you have enough time left till axe. The end I would drop to no nutrients and a pinch of sweet.
There are others here that use your mixture they may doo it differently.
I use Jacks and grow in coco 1/2 is a reuse after washing and screening and 1/2 new.
One of the ways to tell how much nutrients you have used is there any white residue on the top of the media.
I use metal skewers from BBQ pit and I loosen the media at the top and down till you touch the roots stay away from the roots closes to stalk.

In the day when I grew in dirt in 5 gal bags. I used enzymes to dissolve the roots that die off was a canna product and works well. When the roots are in a confined space some die off and they occupy space and are stuck there if you use an enzyme they are dissolved and new roots replace them.

In time you will let the ladies tell you what they want but by forth week in flower your time is limited this is the time I am adding moab.
I have read many and used Gt21 tips in the past most here will answer questions but it has been a long time for me and pots of dirt.

Weed don't like wet feet and I add this in I have no idea if will help you but never leave the bottom of your pots standing in water. For more than a short time. Why? the water evaporates and the nutrients slowly build up and become toxic.
After all that some of the strains are hard to grow and require changes in nut lvl's and additives the white strains love C but if you use Cal/ mag the C is good and the mag is in excess a little but the added N will put you in N tox.
I grow in a confined space and is hard to keep heat under control and I learn cooler is better after getting new a/c most of my problems have gone away my light bill went up. When I started out growing with led's now I use both. In time I learned that more smaller lights was better than 2 big ones less heat and the smaller light don't over heat the leaf structure.
You will learn to adapt what you read to what is happing.

Eastwind

Eastwind

I use the 3/4 in with foil. If you have been over feeding and (I use 800 to 900ppm in coco)was for long time and in dirt or a blend of most medias there will be a build up in the mix.
You have decided to flush and you will us the phed water to flush. The nutrients will be released all at once and make everything worse.
In your situation and ask others but I would cut by half next water by half again and do that 3 times if you have enough time left till axe. The end I would drop to no nutrients and a pinch of sweet.
There are others here that use your mixture they may doo it differently.
I use Jacks and grow in coco 1/2 is a reuse after washing and screening and 1/2 new.
One of the ways to tell how much nutrients you have used is there any white residue on the top of the media.
I use metal skewers from BBQ pit and I loosen the media at the top and down till you touch the roots stay away from the roots closes to stalk.

In the day when I grew in dirt in 5 gal bags. I used enzymes to dissolve the roots that die off was a canna product and works well. When the roots are in a confined space some die off and they occupy space and are stuck there if you use an enzyme they are dissolved and new roots replace them.

In time you will let the ladies tell you what they want but by forth week in flower your time is limited this is the time I am adding moab.
I have read many and used Gt21 tips in the past most here will answer questions but it has been a long time for me and pots of dirt.

Weed don't like wet feet and I add this in I have no idea if will help you but never leave the bottom of your pots standing in water. For more than a short time. Why? the water evaporates and the nutrients slowly build up and become toxic.
After all that some of the strains are hard to grow and require changes in nut lvl's and additives the white strains love C but if you use Cal/ mag the C is good and the mag is in excess a little but the added N will put you in N tox.
I grow in a confined space and is hard to keep heat under control and I learn cooler is better after getting new a/c most of my problems have gone away my light bill went up. When I started out growing with led's now I use both. In time I learned that more smaller lights was better than 2 big ones less heat and the smaller light don't over heat the leaf structure.
You will learn to adapt what you read to what is happing.

Hey Hermit186, that was very helpful information...,a good explanation. For the flush, it sounds like you are reusing the nute/feed water runoff and mixing that with plan water to make up your flush. I don't use a BBQ skewer...but I do use a chop stick to aerate the soil...poke straight down...I will stay away from the stalk. I went to the Canna site and saw the enzyme...Cannazym. What about their Boost ?......I too have a confined space, so heat is an issue....which is why I use LEDs and CFLs. Many 23w CFLs are my side fills......One part of the lower temps here has been good....the buds are so frosty all over the leaves....the smell is amazing.

Last edited:
hermit186

hermit186

no I don't re-use nutrients I use a drip to drain and the run off nutrients go to my garden.
I reuse my coco. I wash it and run thru screen and mix 1/2 old coco and 1/2 new.
I got into it because after I chop my plants I take the root ball outside and cut it open and examine the roots the color and texture tell you what was happening.
Red roots bad if they smell is bad it will tell you if they were root bound. If I have a problem I drop the pot off the plant and look at the roots. They should be white and consistent in structure and have little or no smell. The roots that grow out the bottom of the pot will be red and is not bad but tell you the plant is looking for more space.
The reason I use the drip to drain system is I use Jacks and is not as costly as the big name high priced water. I am able to read the ph and ppm and act on it day to day. I mix my nutrients in 40gal quantity using RO water this gained me consistency and I learned that time and temperature can effect the PH and have to adjust some times twice before I use it up. I keep the drum covered and make sure no light gets to it. I have found that a small quantity of algee is not harmful to the plants bit it effects the PH and ppm. I water 3 times a day for 3min and test run off and compare the in and out ph and ppm. If you are consistent you will end up with very little change when plants are small as they get bigger the ppm will go down and exit will be a bit lower than enter. If the ph change very much you have a problem in the roots and is time to add an enzyme to eat dying roots.
Also is good to remember that at the end of flower. The plant is eating it's self and will yellow and water leafs will look bad but is normal.
In time you will learn to add the necessary additives to make it not so dramatic but will happen some at the very end.
It has been a long time but when I grew outside I used a 50 gal grow bag but was to much the cost of the bags and the large amount of soil just didn't appeal to me the plants were huge and out put is much greater. Read some of Seamaden's old posts I have learned a great deal from reading her stuff.
She is not always right but is very seldom off the mark and will answer most questions.
In the past I used Boost but can get the same result from moab and backstrap.
I use silica but at a very small amount it will make the stems and structure stronger but requires care to much and they will get brittle and can cause the support structure to brake under bud weight..

Last edited:
Eastwind

Eastwind

no I don't re-use nutrients I use a drip to drain and the run off nutrients go to my garden.
I reuse my coco. I wash it and run thru screen and mix 1/2 old coco and 1/2 new.
I got into it because after I chop my plants I take the root ball outside and cut it open and examine the roots the color and texture tell you what was happening.
Red roots bad if they smell is bad it will tell you if they were root bound. If I have a problem I drop the pot off the plant and look at the roots. They should be white and consistent in structure and have little or no smell. The roots that grow out the bottom of the pot will be red and is not bad but tell you the plant is looking for more space.
The reason I use the drip to drain system is I use Jacks and is not as costly as the big name high priced water. I am able to read the ph and ppm and act on it day to day. I mix my nutrients in 40gal quantity using RO water this gained me consistency and I learned that time and temperature can effect the PH and have to adjust some times twice before I use it up. I keep the drum covered and make sure no light gets to it. I have found that a small quantity of algee is not harmful to the plants bit it effects the PH and ppm. I water 3 times a day for 3min and test run off and compare the in and out ph and ppm. If you are consistent you will end up with very little change when plants are small as they get bigger the ppm will go down and exit will be a bit lower than enter. If the ph change very much you have a problem in the roots and is time to add an enzyme to eat dying roots.
Also is good to remember that at the end of flower. The plant is eating it's self and will yellow and water leafs will look bad but is normal.
In time you will learn to add the necessary additives to make it not so dramatic but will happen some at the very end.
It has been a long time but when I grew outside I used a 50 gal grow bag but was to much the cost of the bags and the large amount of soil just didn't appeal to me the plants were huge and out put is much greater. Read some of Seamaden's old posts I have learned a great deal from reading her stuff.
She is not always right but is very seldom off the mark and will answer most questions.
In the past I used Boost but can get the same result from moab and backstrap.
I use silica but at a very small amount it will make the stems and structure stronger but requires care to much and they will get brittle and can cause the support structure to brake under bud weight..
Thanks for that detailed info on in & out RH testing...i did not know...also on checking the root ball after chop...great info.......I am in soil, with 1 gal & 3 gal pots...but I think I will move to those mesh bags next time...I see there is some moisture retention at the bottom of the 3 gal pot...it should be needing a drink sooner than it does....just white roots though...the Ph does not seem to change much from 6.5......I agree, Seamaiden has been very helpful to me during this grow....good reading on her page....I did order some MOAB yesterday.....so far I have included backstrap 2x in their feedings. I really appreciate your help Hermit !

hermit186

hermit186

You will be fine read some of Capulator about moab will tell you how to mix your own and when and how to use he is straight up guy.

Eastwind

Eastwind

You will be fine read some of Capulator about moab will tell you how to mix your own and when and how to use he is straight up guy.
Thanks...I will check him out. Good news...as I was searching for info on plant problems...I came across a few threads about the Mars Reflector...the LED panel I am using that has 5watt bulbs....many other users reported that the company info on light distance was off. The 5w bulbs are too strong to be as close as the company recommends. They stated 12 to 16"...but that was to close....growers stated 2 to 3' was better...so I moved mine to 25"....well my plants are doing much better...Colas thickening up, very frosty...leaves going back to green again...yah !! Photo 1...10 days ago, not very frosty, small bud. Photos 3, 4 & 5 are from today. Frosty, thicker, all doing well. Thanks for hanging in with me and your tips. My MOAB will be here by Tues.

11 18 16 colas lite Trics
11 28 16 buds  trics 3
11 28 16 cloas 3
11 28 16 colas improving

Latest posts

Top Bottom