not enough light??

• Thread starter blingisgreen23
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

blingisgreen23

question..my plant is about 8 inches tall now at about 3 weeks old in potting soil..i counted 18 leafs on it..minus the two i cut..seems healthy..but the growing process on it has slowed..i flood the bucket about once a week..make sure its draining good and dont water again for about 5 days..am i doing something wrong??..the plant is in a 4 gallon bucket full of mirical grow potting soil..but the growth has really seemd to slow way down..im still using a little flouro on it about 3 inches from the top of the plant..i painted the inside of my box white to help with the reflection..should i get a bigger light..more light?...please advise!!!..thank you

lazarus718

lazarus718

Your problem is with growing in Miracle Grow soil, no where near the nutrients your girl is going to require to grow fast and full...I'm not telling you to scrap it, but you are going to have problems with drainage and nutrients and I'm praying that you didn't buy the stuff that has those moisture retentive crystals, her roots are going to be starving for O2. Check some of the threads on soil grows bro, it might seem like an investment initially to get some of the proper ingredients together, but when you don't have to buy your meds on the street for months you'll see just how far a proper grow can take you.

B

blingisgreen23

thank you bro..i appreciate all the help...im a newbie..so im bound to make mistakes..thats why they call it learning...i think it would be in my best interest to do a lot more research and take a lot more notes..but i again say thank you for setting me straight..peace bro

Melvan

Melvan

You've started your seeds in too large of a bucket.

1) It's too hard to maintain the proper level of moisture
2) The plants has so much room for root growth that it's putting out root instead of foliage.
3) Leave them alone and let them grow, sooner or later the plant will slow up on the roots and start putting out foliage. In the future start your seeds in the solo cups, then transplant to the large buckets.
4) Do you have a fan circulating old air out, new air in. Without proper air flow the plant won't grow.
5) What is a "little floro?" During veg you need a minimum of 3000 lumens per sqft of grow space. If your "little floro" isn't giving you that, then yes you need new light.
6) Why are you cutting leaves if the plant is only 8" tall? At this stage a plant will purposely allow leaves to die so the plant can use the sugars stored in said leaves towards growth & development. Don't cut off anymore leaves.

B

Bearsfather

You've started your seeds in too large of a bucket.

1) It's too hard to maintain the proper level of moisture
2) The plants has so much room for root growth that it's putting out root instead of foliage.
3) Leave them alone and let them grow, sooner or later the plant will slow up on the roots and start putting out foliage. In the future start your seeds in the solo cups, then transplant to the large buckets.
4) Do you have a fan circulating old air out, new air in. Without proper air flow the plant won't grow.
5) What is a "little floro?" During veg you need a minimum of 3000 lumens per sqft of grow space. If your "little floro" isn't giving you that, then yes you need new light.
6) Why are you cutting leaves if the plant is only 8" tall? At this stage a plant will purposely allow leaves to die so the plant can use the sugars stored in said leaves towards growth & development. Don't cut off anymore leaves.

You CANNOT plant in too much soil.
Miracle grow is fine. It's just dirt.
I never use a fan, never have a problem.
I'm guessing your problem is light? Are your plants long and lankey, stretching out toward the "little Floro"???
Leave the leaves......

lazarus718

lazarus718

I'm guessing your problem is light? Are your plants long and lankey, stretching out toward the "little Floro"???
Leave the leaves......

Miracle gro is going to give you problems, it's not pH adjusted well and like I said, it does not drain well and you want a fast draining soil if you want to keep healthy roots in a soil grow. I know that people can and do grow successfully in that stuff (IMO it's crap) because it's easy to find and use, but it's not all that cheap and you can build your own soil for just a fraction more of an initial cost. I don't know of a single serious soil grower that uses it at all in their mixes. I don't know how much info you have about what your roots need, but you don't want water to sit a long time in your medium, you want it to drain through quickly (especially if you need to flush for whatever reasons) and you want it to mostly dry out between waterings so that the roots can have access to some oxygen. If you keep them waterlogged they are going to show stunted growth and droopy leaves. Like I said up top, don't scrap your grow, you can make it work with what you have. Just might not be all it could have been. Invest in some good soil, then get the best lighting you can afford above them and that will be all you need to have some bomb ladies in your garden. The fluorescent light is just fine for the seedling stage, but you either need to bump up the lumens or the quantities of that light for vegging and flower. If you can afford it and your room isn't too large, invest in the best 250W HID lights you can get your hands on. Try craigslist or the ebay. Good luck man, ask everyone for help, there are some great peeps on here!!!

Melvan

Melvan

Leave the leaves......

YES YOU CAN. Plant a seed in a 10 gallon bucket and see how long it takes to fully veg.
I could give a crap about the Miracle Grow
I guess it's a good thing weed doesn't get a breeze blowing on it outdoors. Oh, wait, yes it does, so you need a fan moving the air indoors.
Wasn't it already agreed he was under lit?
You need to do some more reading.

C

CalcioErba2004

Bigger light will get it to grow faster. Miracle grow this and that, Ive seen good buds grown in miracle grow. Yes the bigger the pot the more it takes to veg. If a plant has the space for root growth it will grow roots before growing above ground green growth. This is why you germ seeds in smaller pots and transplant as they grow. We all make mistakes, learning from them is called experience. Next run see if you can find better soil, like Fox Farm Ocean Forest. Your biggest priority is getting a better light. Fluoros wont yield crap...

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Try giving it a small dose of triacontanol, which I now cannot state is achieved via the following method: handful of alfalfa hay + 1 liter of warm-to-hot water, allow to steep for about 1hr. I hear, but can neither state unequivocally, that Superthrive has triacontanol in it.

Another means by which to increase root growth is to give small feedings of seaweed/kelp. There are people who are absolutely stuck on a particular species or brand, but I find they're all beneficial. If you can get the Growmore Seaweed, that stuff is excellent.

If the light is insufficient, however, all of these other efforts will be for naught. I don't remember seeing what you're growing under. Be specific. I veg and clone under the same sets of shop fluoros (4' shop lights that use pairs of bi-pin tubes) that I used years ago to grow corals and giant clams--it can be done, but with fluoros size matters, as does spread. If you're using CFLs, you've got to use a bank of them. Light is THE driver of almost everything a plant does with regard to photosynthesis, all you have to do is supply the right type and amount of juice (light) and they'll do their thing.

You can grow, and grow very decent bud, in Miracle Grow. It's crappy soil, I detest even touching it for all the splinters I get, but it works. Fox Farms, in my opinion, is hardly worth the cost or the effort, if you're going to do that then source a local live soil, even good top-soil inoculated with microbes/beneficials will do well. I used Gardener & Bloom potting soil for my potted soil plants, because it's produced relatively locally, has live microbes and is a fraction of the cost. I use Harvest Supreme, which is another live Gardener & Bloom product, to top-dress all my veggie and OD beds, rather as a mulch that quickly becomes part of the soil. In fact, I need to get a few bags, it's gonna be spring before we know it.

B

Bearsfather

Oh ! Excuse me Melvin. I bow to your expertise, and now will go crawl under a rock, to find some place to read more... I was wondering if you put an incandescent bulb on the ceiling, to simulate the moon, "just like outdoors"?

Top Bottom