Not sure what this is :/

• Thread starter Backwoods69
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Backwoods69

Backwoods69

The first photo seems to show 2 leaves with the tips cut off(?). Was that nute burn at one time?
Actually no, just remembered I didnt fim that one i left it alone. I have no clue why its like that

az2000

az2000

Your first post suggested there are other plants. If the problem is gnats, why do you think the other plants are ok? (Do the gnats seem attracted to this plant more?).

How many gnats do you typically see?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

And if the larvae or adults spreading disease aren't a concern, which some make it out to be, then why do they bother fighting gnats in a commercial greenhouse growing tomatoes?

No one said it wasnt a concern. Most of us have dealt with gnats before. Or always depending on method and conditions.

Backwoods69

Backwoods69

Your first post suggested there are other plants. I the problem is gnats, why do you think the other plants are ok? (Do the gnats seem attracted to this plant more?).

How many gnats do you typically see?
Yea i will usually see like one or 2 buzzing around but ive killee alot with the traps and spray. The reason im focusing on that specific plant is due to it being the only one with the leaf issue so far. I forgot to mention i cut a leaf off the bottom of the plant this morning that was gray and nasty looking too. But yes they are all drooping right now :/ so far without the diseased leaves. When i watered with compost tea this morning they seemed to perk up a little before i used pesticide and fungicide but i dont know. Too many variables i guess

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

So right now ive manages to knock the fungas gnats down quite a bit with the sticky traps, and also letting my soil dry out more( which made my plants droop imo) I also pickes up some "Dont bug me" by Fox Farm. Check that out man. Also am waiting on some diatomaceous earth today in the mail off amazon. The stuff is supposed to shred the larvae. Also, with dry top soil they can't survive. I never let it get outta control so im not too inclined to think the leaf issue is from the gnats. But I didnt stumble upon some info about phosphorus deficiency, and it does look very similiar to whaf I have going on.
Here's a tip to get rid of gnats. You must break their life cycle. Use 9" high velocity fan(s) on low on the floor of the tent on 24/7 & in several weeks you will break their life cycle. Use yellow stickys to monitor and trap the very few flyers that try to escape. Water using a proper wet / dry cycle for best results, good luck!

blazeone44

blazeone44

So right now ive manages to knock the fungas gnats down quite a bit with the sticky traps, and also letting my soil dry out more( which made my plants droop imo) I also pickes up some "Dont bug me" by Fox Farm. Check that out man. Also am waiting on some diatomaceous earth today in the mail off amazon. The stuff is supposed to shred the larvae. Also, with dry top soil they can't survive. I never let it get outta control so im not too inclined to think the leaf issue is from the gnats. But I didnt stumble upon some info about phosphorus deficiency, and it does look very similiar to whaf I have going on.
Try “Gnatrol” you can buy it in smaller sizes on eBay. It is made of BTI, which is organic and won’t harm the plant. This will kill all the larvae, with three applications, 5 days apart. Sticky traps will take care of the adults but you have to break the life cycle in order to correct the issue. People don’t realize how detrimental fungus gnats larvae can be, it can completely fuck up a harvest. Hope that helps man 👊🏻

Backwoods69

Backwoods69

If it was a root problem, I wouldn't expect immediate results from DE. (It's never done anything for me. But, I've never tried aerosolizing it either.).

I still think it's overfeeding.
Straight water next feed then?

az2000

az2000

I would do half strength. That seems reasonable. Whenever I did straight water, I added some nutrients (25%). I don't think straight water is good. But, you're not to that point.

You only saw 1-2 flies. (And then you used pesticide, fungacide, and DE.). You could wait awhile and see if it gets better. But, the leaves look overfed to me.

Rinse your plant off. That stuff is blocking the light. (Don't put it under intense light until the leaves are dried. If the problem has been overfeeding, it could get worse because the plant isn't photosynthesizing as strongly, less demand for nutrients.).

Last edited:
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Also use liquid seaweed and molasses. My ppms dont usually run over 500. Either way this is my 1st grow and ive had a ton of problems. Ive learned alot but still shit keeps popping up. They were booming for a little while and ive been doing lst and topped the main stalk 1st. Then when i got a bunch more tops i topped a few and theyve been rough since
What do you mean when you say "they were blooming for a little while"? Need a picture of the whole plant

Backwoods69

Backwoods69

I would do half strength. That seems reasonable. Whenever I did straight water, I added some nutrients (25%). I don't think straight water is good. But, you're not to that point.

You only saw 1-2 flies. (And then you used pesticide, fungacide, and DE.). You could wait awhile and see if it gets better. But, the leaves look overfed to me.

Rinse your plant off. That stuff is blocking the light. (Don't put it under intense light until the leaves are dried. If the problem has been overfeeding, it could get worse because the plant isn't photosynthesizing as strongly, less demand for nutrients.).
Ok thanks

Backwoods69

Backwoods69

Reminds me of a Potassium issue, probably locked-out ?

View attachment 887640

View attachment 887639
So are you saying they were blooming and then you topped them? You don't want to top plants when they're in bloom

also az I Illustrated above I suspect you have a potassium issue; probably from a lockout, anyway without a picture of the whole plant this is as much as I can help, but I'd get after that potassium issue I'd flush it and then feed it something balanced, you're going to lose the affected leaves anyway, so don't be surprised good luck
No. Not blooming. Man, read the actual word... BOOMING

az2000

az2000

I would do half strength. That seems reasonable.

PS: you should let your soil dry very well. If you think you had a gnat problem, they like soggy soil. Keeping it dryer can help. If the soil has a ph problem, keeping it too wet (not letting it dry enough) can lower the ph too.

Also, I just realized you said you feed teas. Maybe plain water is better in your case. I feed regular fertilizer each watering. If that were my plant, I would do half-strength and 20% runoff volume (20% of the volume poured). But, I don't think organic growers like runoff (they want to keep the goodness in the soil). So, maybe water only would be better for you.

To me, the leaves look overfed. A puckered/quilted surface. Some gloss to the surface (I think I see some)? If it were me, I'd worry about salt buildup. That's why I would have generous runoff. But, that might not apply to you feeding teas.

If you think it was gnats, you could wait and see if the treatment helped. I don't want to talk you into starving your plant or no reason. It just looks overfed to me.

Top Bottom