note shore if i have root rot and brown algae please advise!!!!

• Thread starter oMR BUDo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
oMR BUDo

oMR BUDo

hi people im growing in rdwc for the first time and i think i have a problem with my roots but im not shore!!!!
my roots are brownish and im not shore if thats down to my nutes turning them brown or if this is the start of root rot, they were nice and white for the first 2 weeks then bam they turned all brown on me!!!
mainly on one plants roots there seems to be a darker brown substence which again im not shore if thats down to the nutes or if thats some kinda brown algae!!!
for the first week there might of been a bit of a light leek in each 5 gallon pot due to the fact i was using clear air line hose which i've now blacked out so no light gets in but was thinking if it is a brown form of algae that it was probably corsed by the slight light leek!!!!
my plants are 2 weeks old
res temps are between 63f - 68f with the occasional spike to 70f lights on
room temps 70f - 75f lights on
ph between 5.8 - 6.4 at max
using ro water
im using gh flora nova grow ( 200 - 250 ppm )
root excelurator
orca
cal mag (100 ppm )
cannazyme ( halth strength )
silica (half strength )
super thrive ( 1 drop per gallon water )
a total ppm of everything i use is 300 - 350 ppm
if anyone can tell me what they think as far as if i may have root rot or the nutes are turning me roots brown and whether or not that looks like brown algae on the roots or again if thats down to my nutes doing that i would be greatful!!!!
THANKS PEOPLE!!!!

Note shore if i have root rot and brown algae please advise
Note shore if i have root rot and brown algae please advise 2
Note shore if i have root rot and brown algae please advise 3
Note shore if i have root rot and brown algae please advise 4
Note shore if i have root rot and brown algae please advise 5
Note shore if i have root rot and brown algae please advise 6
Delerium

Delerium

Bump-a-lump! Can anyone help this cat out?

FloraNova DWC is where I started. Never used it in RDWC and I never would too sludgey.
It will stain roots, so will roots excelurator.
Personally I'd never put roots excelurator in hydro again unless it 1/4 or less and you'd have to really twist my arm.
When roots excelurator came out the reps stated NOT to use it with an air stone EVER. The statement was retracted due to what was stated was a grower error learned months later. Maybe he was actually right because,
House & Garden has recently posted a warning on their website yet again to only use roots at 1/2 strength when using airstones.
FYI, their seemed to be a lot of complaints about the gold bottles vs the silver bottles. I don't recall if they had a bad batch come out. That has been noted in 2013.
I've used it successfully in top feed systems and promix for years. Never in a cpl of Rdwc/aero systems I've run in the past 1.5 years.
Isn't orca a beneficial bacteria product as well?
The topside looks good.

Use an A/B or 3 part. your already using other additives. I'd get away from Nova for now.

Nasty bouts of rot this summer due to water temps getting too high.
IMG 0164 IMG 0166 IMG 0169

Last edited:
oMR BUDo

oMR BUDo

hey peoples thanks for the replies and feed back, after a day of panic i am inclined to agree with you guys as in the nutes and addatives were causing my roots to brown as they have all turned a lot lighter now than in the pictures taken above which were taken a day after a res change where i had also uped the nutes and addatives a little from the previous week and yeah delerium orca is a beneficial bacteria product as well but its been sitting there for a while and i already had the orca when i bought the roots excelurator and thought it wouldnt hurt to throw in a little orca with the RE so once again thanks for the responce and helpful replies!!!! :o)

deacon1503

deacon1503

Here's my sugg...

Just go with a traditional base nutrient, 2 part - if u like GH then stick with that. Get some UC Roots, and add 2 ml/g. Drop roots excel. Shoot for around 1.5EC with the base and add cal/mag (which do you use?) about 250 ppm worth. Get some straight phosphorus...natures nectar makes it. The P in combo with the UC roots will help the roots bounce back all while sterilizing your system.

Go with the sterile route until things improve.

Good luck.

oMR BUDo

oMR BUDo

hey deacon thanks for your reply mister as it holds some valuable information tho as i said in my previous post the roots have lightened up a lot more now than in those pictures which makes me think that the GH nutes and the root excelurator were the corse of initially turning my roots a brownish colour!!!!
now if im wrong and in the days and weeks to come it turns out that i do have root rot or if i get root rot in another grow in the future i would be more than happy to try out what you suggest but there is a problem with what you are suggesting and that is that im from the uk and that product you suggest uc roots is not sold over here so i would have to substitute it for something else!!!!
the cal mag i use is plant magic and the reason i only use 100 ppm at the moment with it is because gh flora nova already has a fair bit of cal and mag in it!!!
it sounda like not many people like gh flora nova and i presume thats coz its very thick, i do shake it vigorously and stir it in half a litre of ro water before adding it to my res, its my first time using it and was wondering why some people dont recommend using it!!!!
i do like the idea of using P when helping roots recover from root rot as it makes sence to do so, how many ppm of P do you suggest using!!!!

THANKS

deacon1503

deacon1503

hey deacon thanks for your reply mister as it holds some valuable information tho as i said in my previous post the roots have lightened up a lot more now than in those pictures which makes me think that the GH nutes and the root excelurator were the corse of initially turning my roots a brownish colour!!!!
now if im wrong and in the days and weeks to come it turns out that i do have root rot or if i get root rot in another grow in the future i would be more than happy to try out what you suggest but there is a problem with what you are suggesting and that is that im from the uk and that product you suggest uc roots is not sold over here so i would have to substitute it for something else!!!!
the cal mag i use is plant magic and the reason i only use 100 ppm at the moment with it is because gh flora nova already has a fair bit of cal and mag in it!!!
it sounda like not many people like gh flora nova and i presume thats coz its very thick, i do shake it vigorously and stir it in half a litre of ro water before adding it to my res, its my first time using it and was wondering why some people dont recommend using it!!!!
i do like the idea of using P when helping roots recover from root rot as it makes sence to do so, how many ppm of P do you suggest using!!!!

THANKS

U can always order the UC roots from over here and have it sent to you. It's a unique product not really matched elsewhere right now.
With the flora nova being pretty think, switch it for a thin fert salt base...maybe Flora Duo.
Seem thing with the P, order it from here and have it shipped if need. Run the label dose...12ml/g.
Run the cal/mag at label strength but don't go over 2EC for the total nute solution.

Top Bottom