Nova Scotia seeds/soil

• Thread starter woodspirit56
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
W

woodspirit56

I am planning an outdoor grow (first time) in soil close to the ocean. I have two questions:
1) What is the best seed for an outdoor grow in NS? I usually follow my father's advice of planting after the full moon in June with my vegetable garden to avoid frost. The full moon date in June this year is June 26 so late this year. I would like to harvest by Oct 1 to avoid early fall frost. I can start the seeds indoors and transplant if necessary.
2) Soil - the land I am planning to use was cut over about 10 years ago and is very thickly grown up with black spruce that is about 5' high on average. I am plannig on clearing a few different spaces for growing. Because black spruce is the main species growing up I am assuming the soil is acidic. What is the best method for preparing my gardening patches so the soil I am using has the right characteristics for my grow?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Y

YourEvilMonkey

you should be safe planting beginngi of june and if there are alot of of spruce in that area yeah acidic soil is gonna be an issue lime will help

K

KushyNutt

I am also from N.S and as far as strains go, I like to find something that is a fast finisher. Alot of people around here like the Frieseland starin due to it being very mold resistant. I usually go with Shishkaberry, Cinderella 99, and a great strain from Dr.Greenthumb seeds called Endless Sky which is very capable of 2 litre pop bottle buds. As far as soil I always grow outdoors in 5 gallon pots with coco or soiless mix(pro-mix/sunshine mix #4) only because I find there is more success with pots especially if you haven't been amending your soil.
I hope that helps.:smiley_joint:

Top Bottom