Novice outdoor grower here need help!!

• Thread starter KoreiGyde20
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

KoreiGyde20

Hi there novice outdoor grower I’ve got a plant here that’s getting yellowed leaves at the top and the bottom of the plant would like to know if anyone can tell me the problem here and help me

Novice outdoor grower here need help
Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

So what are you feeding your plant?
Looks like the early stages of Nitrogen toxicity.
Did you get cooked and double up on fertilizer?

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
Not gettin enough P with that stuff. Never used it kinda looks like an additive for something, though. Like it's not meant to be used as a base. I could be wrong. But from what I can see of the label, and from what the plant tells me, it's craving some phosphorus.

Deadstill

Deadstill

Supporter
Potassium? I went to a grow shop here in New Zealand and got told this is best bang for buck stuff any recommendations?
Phosphorus. K is potassium.

Maybe look for some bone meal to add to the soil?

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

Please let me know how much of each of these you put in how much water.
How many times you watered with it. How many days apart.

Lets look at it. There are 200 teaspoons in 1 liter! 1 teaspoon is = to 5ml
20x10,000= 200,00ppm per Liter fertilizer divided buy 200 = 1000 ppm (N)
5x 10000= 50,000 ppm pr liter fertilizer divided buy 200 = 200 ppm (P)
30x 10,000= 300,000ppm per liter fertilizer divided buy 200 = 1,500 ppm K

So 5ml of this fertilizer in 1 liter water gives you.
1000 ppm N Nitrogen
200 ppm P Phosphorus
1500 ppm K potassium

A Nitrogen content about 5 times higher than the 200 ppm of (N) needed for an adult plant.
So you need to mix 5ml of this fertilizer in 5 liters of water to arrive at a 200ppm (N) level.
200- 40-300 Witch is messed up The P value should be around 60 ppm not 300ppm

Deadstill

Deadstill

Supporter
Will get some bone meal and try that out I had another person say it might be nitrogen toxicity?
Not so much nitrogen toxicity, you'd have much darker leaves than that.

Let's start with this, what kind of soil are you using?

About how much have you been feeding and watering?

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

Will get some bone meal and try that out I had another person say it might be nitrogen toxicity?
Why add bone meal. Bone meal is a slow release calcium that takes months to break down.
If you need a quick calcium boost add a couple of grams of Gypsum. Not bone meal.

If a plant has been over fertilized a little at a time over a long period of time yes, it's going to be quite a dark green. but not if it was just way over fed once or twice.

K

KoreiGyde20

Please let me know how much of each of these you put in how much water.
How many times you watered with it. How many days apart.

Lets look at it. There are 200 teaspoons in 1 liter! 1 teaspoon is = to 5ml
20x10,000= 200,00ppm per Liter fertilizer divided buy 200 = 1000 ppm (N)
5x 10000= 50,000 ppm pr liter fertilizer divided buy 200 = 200 ppm (P)
30x 10,000= 300,000ppm per liter fertilizer divided buy 200 = 1,500 ppm K

So 5ml of this fertilizer in 1 liter water gives you.
1000 ppm N Nitrogen
200 ppm P Phosphorus
1500 ppm K potassium

A Nitrogen content about 5 times higher than the 200 ppm of (N) needed for an adult plant.
So you need to mix 5ml of this fertilizer in 5 liters of water to arrive at a 200ppm (N) level.
200- 40-300 Witch is messed up The P value should be around 60 ppm not 300ppm
So I was just putting 5ml in a one litre bottle and giving it to plants every maybe 3rd or 4th watering? But maybe I was giving it too much each time? Very new so not very in tune to stuff and it’s my first grow

K

KoreiGyde20

Not so much nitrogen toxicity, you'd have much darker leaves than that.

Let's start with this, what kind of soil are you using?

About how much have you been feeding and watering?
I’ve just been using general potting mix from my local gardening store and I think I water every 3-4 days it’s currently spring here in nz and not too hot yet and I’ve been putting feed in every 3rd or 4th watering

Deadstill

Deadstill

Supporter
Why add bone meal. Bone meal is a slow release calcium that takes months to break down.
If you need a quick calcium boost add a couple of grams of Gypsum. Not bone meal.

If a plant has been over fertilized a little at a time over a long period of time yes, it's going to be quite a dark green. but not if it was just way over fed once or twice.
I told him bone meal but upon thinking about it, you're right. I was thinking more as a soil amendment rather than a quick fix, but bone meal is a great source of phosporus, which is what I think is lacking, here. Note the rusting yellowing leaves mid plant on older growth. P def.

However, that fertilizer looks like junk for cannabis in the first place so finding something a little more suited would be ideal, if possible. He is in New Zealand, though, as I understand it. Don't know what they carry down there.

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

So I was just putting 5ml in a one litre bottle and giving it to plants every maybe 3rd or 4th watering? But maybe I was giving it too much each time? Very new so not very in tune to stuff and it’s my first grow
Got it that you are new. There is a learning curve.

Please grab a pen a calculator and some paper, watch this video a few times until you can do this math with ease.
It's very important. And it's not at all hard once you play with it a few times.
Once you have the above figured out.
Learn how to do this. Do it at least once a week. And keep logs.
I get that it's a pain but it will change you for the better I promise.

Last edited:
Deadstill

Deadstill

Supporter
I’m doing a lot better then I thought I would be to be honest but being new you get scared of any old thing happening and assume the worst haha
Btw, Howdy, and welcome to the Farm! 🤠

Also, here's a little tip I like to give new growers - I've decided to save this little write-up in a notepad file and I copy and paste it when I need it so I have it available at a moment's notice 🤣 ---

Overwatering
Here is what I try to teach newer growers for proper watering techniques. When you go to water/feed your plants, make sure you saturate the entire pot. Generally folks look for about 10% runoff. This means you want 10% of what you put in, to come out the bottom. This means you've successfully saturated the soil in the pot and evenly and completely soaked it.

The important part, is making sure it dries out fairly well. This will happen a little faster in fabric pots as opposed to hard plastic pots, for example.

How do I know when it's dry enough or time to water again?

After watering and completely saturating your soil as mentioned above, pick up the pot. Heft it in your hands a few times. Get an idea of how heavy it feels. Use a scale if you really want to get technical. Do this once every day. Each day you will notice it gets a little lighter. When you go to pick up the pot and it feels super light (like 1/3rd or less of the weight when fully watered) you know it's time, or almost time, to water again.

Another tip is to stick your fingers down into the soil. Stick them in a few inches, down to the middle knuckle on your fingers or 2 or 3 inches deep, and feel for moisture. If you pull your fingers out and they're damp, give it a little more time. If you don't feel any moisture in there, it's time to water again.

The reason being for all of this is because these plants are highly susceptible to root rot and other pathogens in the soil. Stagnant water in the soil is a breeding ground for pathogens and bad bacteria. These plants really like a lot of oxygen in their root zone, and regular cycles of wet and dry help keep your roots healthy and happy.

In my years of experience and giving advice to people on how to grow, this is easily the most common thing people get wrong. So, don't worry so much about how much you're watering at one time. Worry about how often you are watering. Good luck! 🤠

K

KoreiGyde20

Got it that you are new. There is a learning curve.

Please grab a pen a calculator and some paper, watch this video a few times until you can do this math with ease.
It's very important. And it's not at all hard once you play with it a few times.
Once you have the above figured out.
Learn how to do this. Do it at least once a week. And keep logs.
I get that it's a pain but it will change you for the better I promise.

Btw, Howdy, and welcome to the Farm! 🤠

Also, here's a little tip I like to give new growers - I've decided to save this little write-up in a notepad file and I copy and paste it when I need it so I have it available at a moment's notice 🤣 ---

Overwatering
Here is what I try to teach newer growers for proper watering techniques. When you go to water/feed your plants, make sure you saturate the entire pot. Generally folks look for about 10% runoff. This means you want 10% of what you put in, to come out the bottom. This means you've successfully saturated the soil in the pot and evenly and completely soaked it.

The important part, is making sure it dries out fairly well. This will happen a little faster in fabric pots as opposed to hard plastic pots, for example.

How do I know when it's dry enough or time to water again?

After watering and completely saturating your soil as mentioned above, pick up the pot. Heft it in your hands a few times. Get an idea of how heavy it feels. Use a scale if you really want to get technical. Do this once every day. Each day you will notice it gets a little lighter. When you go to pick up the pot and it feels super light (like 1/3rd or less of the weight when fully watered) you know it's time, or almost time, to water again.

Another tip is to stick your fingers down into the soil. Stick them in a few inches, down to the middle knuckle on your fingers or 2 or 3 inches deep, and feel for moisture. If you pull your fingers out and they're damp, give it a little more time. If you don't feel any moisture in there, it's time to water again.

The reason being for all of this is because these plants are highly susceptible to root rot and other pathogens in the soil. Stagnant water in the soil is a breeding ground for pathogens and bad bacteria. These plants really like a lot of oxygen in their root zone, and regular cycles of wet and dry help keep your roots healthy and happy.

In my years of experience and giving advice to people on how to grow, this is easily the most common thing people get wrong. So, don't worry so much about how much you're watering at one time. Worry about how often you are watering. Good luck! 🤠
Thanks heaps I’m going to save that to my notes app in my phone so I remember it and use it! So about the problem? Stop using the nutrients I’m currently using and find something better and more effective for the plant?

Top Bottom