Novice rockwool question

• Thread starter jimbobthe3rd
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

jimbobthe3rd

Hi guys, im new to cloning in rockwool, and just have a quick question!

I put in 12 babies last night, in cubes in a humi dome&tray on a heatmat under a 2700k 18watt cfl, today they look absolutely brilliant! Maintained vigor, they never even drooped for half a second, its amazing me how well they look. The only thing concerning me is they actually have hundreds of teeny tiny water droplets on them, from the humi dome being like 95% humidity, its obvious the humidity is what is keeping them looking stellar, im used to using an aero-cloner with no humi-dome where they all wilt and go yellow but develop roots real fast then take many weeks to come back to health.

It looks like this method maintains them in true health the wholeprocess? Or should i expect some yellowing and wilting in the future? Also how long should i keep the humidity dome on?? I read some threads some say 2-3 days some say a week, please your input will help a first timer rockwool user!

M

Mercenary

I have cloned in both rock wool and a Cloner. Just a FYI for your Cloner, your supposed to have a dome on it so they don't yellow and wilt, but at the same time develop roots really fast. When you clone (clone as in take cuttings) in rock wool its important to realize that patience is KEY. For your question, you will want to leave your plants themselves alone and just wipe out the dome with a rag. This will make it so the water from the dome does not drip on the clones. The reason you don't want the dome dripping on the clones is bacteria, and clones as we know it are not very pest, disease, and fungal resistant. A tip to spraying them... You will spray them 2-3 times a day. MIST THEM do not lay them over with water....just mist.

C

CHILKaT

I don't have an actual dome, but a makeshift one. My clones still get a little air, and I use an led light. I just leave mine until they root, mist them if needed as they don't stay wet long because they aren't sealed. I've never had a clone wilt or yellow or show any sign of distress since cloning into rockwool as opposed to other methods. I'd say you can try to remove the dome after a few days and see, you can always throw the dome back on em. You basically just want the humidity to keep them from losing water through their leaves, but you also want to get them rooting, too much humidity for too long and they wont root, they'll rot.

J

jimbobthe3rd

Thanks for the tips guys! I'm not going to mist them at all until i don't see any water droplets on the leaves. I will take the dome off after 5 days and then will mist them once a day after that i think that should work fine. Will get you guys a pic in a day or two of the humi dome & condensation etc etc.

Top Bottom