novice setting up grow room needs advise

• Thread starter viper
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
V

viper

Hi, I am looking into setting up a grow room and have basic knowledge but need to know quite a few things so thought i`d ask you guys.

first i thought i`d let you know what equipment i`m using.

1.2m x 1.2m x 2.0m budbox grow tent
600w hps lamp
8 pot hydroponic system
carbon filter extraction unit
hawaiian snow feminised seeds

ok so here i go.

1. Am going to grow in my attic but there is no power up there yet so just wanted to know if it is possible to use an extention lead and run it from downstairs power source without it causing a fire hazard? if so what sort of ampage cable should i use to make sure it doesnt get too hot and melt? o
Have a few electrician mates like who could fit me power in the attic but am trying to keep people knowing i`m growing to a minimum, i.e just me.

2. I know i`m using a carbon filter extraction unit in my budbox grow tent but i am still worries about odour control, was wondering if there are any other products i can buy which will help in this area? i remember reading somewhere a while ago that you can buy some sort of vapourisers which use ethor or something like that to take away the smell but i`m not sure. your opinions would be a great help.

3. I am also worried about a police helicopter being able to pick up my grow room from above using there infa red thingy so was wondering if there was any sort of insulation etc i could use to cut down the heat signature my lampes will give out?

thats it for now, the most thing i`m worried about is the power source and the odour, if i can clarify the correct procedures for these i can get onto it straight away.

your help would be very much appreciated.

thanks guys

U

ukcheesehead

extention lead will be fine i use a 6 gang 10 meter lead .
make sure you use a contact for your 600w as you will be blowing timers all the time (cheap around £20)
as for smell control u will be fine useing the carbon filter . if my rvk and filter can sort out my cheese smell u will be sound.... as for police helicopter im not sure on that 1 . as i grow in my bedroom .

S

Slick

About the Infrared worries...Im not sure about Budbox tents but I know the Secret Jardin DR range are all 97% thermally protected. As well as that you can buy heat proof mylar sheeting though it is quite expensive.

logic

logic

Administrator
Staff
Im pretty sure you need to be pumping more than 600w for a police helicopter to see, but i could be wrong do dont quote me on this lol

V

viper

hi cheers for the reply, what do you mean by contact though? for the power?

leadplant

leadplant

for just 600 watts, I'd say yer OK to use a 25 ft 12 gauge extension cord with a built in breaker. use another cord for fans and small watt items.

best is to run a new 15-20 amp circuit from your breaker to the attic encased in flex metal conduit. Tex Kid is the one to ask about electrical, he'll tell ya to run a 30 amp 220 line direct from the breaker box which is ideal.

V

viper

for just 600 watts, I'd say yer OK to use a 25 ft 12 gauge extension cord with a built in breaker. use another cord for fans and small watt items.

best is to run a new 15-20 amp circuit from your breaker to the attic encased in flex metal conduit. Tex Kid is the one to ask about electrical, he'll tell ya to run a 30 amp 220 line direct from the breaker box which is ideal.

cheers for that, cant seem to find the cable online though lol, all the ones i find have a weird connector and nothing to plug a normal plug into or am i missing something?

thanks for your help guys

Green81

Green81

Premium Member
Supporter
Yea was wondering about that thermal mylar anti radar stuff, has anyone used it here, does it work?? So do those secret jardin actual stop the infared from be able to see into your room??

S

Slick

Yea was wondering about that thermal mylar anti radar stuff, has anyone used it here, does it work?? So do those secret jardin actual stop the infared from be able to see into your room??

It depends how you use the sheeting would be my guess as heat is easily conducted; the best insulator of heat is air so I would think that some sort of gap between the sheeting and whichever surface you are trying to stop heat radiating from would be extremely beneficial. The same would apply to the tents as I assume both have properties which reflect infrared radiation (heat) back into the space it is coming from.

Green81

Green81

Premium Member
Supporter
It depends how you use the sheeting would be my guess as heat is easily conducted; the best insulator of heat is air so I would think that some sort of gap between the sheeting and whichever surface you are trying to stop heat radiating from would be extremely beneficial. The same would apply to the tents as I assume both have properties which reflect infrared radiation (heat) back into the space it is coming from.

Thanks Slick, so guess its just a question of getting as much insulation as you can to squeeze into the room.

Green81

Green81

Premium Member
Supporter
no m8, its about using the right insulation!
there is different density's!

a m8 has just used foam back plaster boards, witch retain 70% of the heat un plastered ! he is that confident in en he's running 1x1000 and 2x600 mh/hps ! extracting down into a built in cupboard in the back bedroom thru a carbon filter, and uses a ionizer in the bedroom to keep the air pure and fresh!

maybe another way to go?

Right i gets you, looks like i'll have to build a fram within the attic then attach insulation sheeting leaving a 5cm gap between the roof eaves and the room itself... feel happier now, thanks THC :icon_spin:

V

viper

THC and others, thank you very much for your comments!! just what i needed to know.

also i said i was going to grow hawaiian snow but i thought i`d ask what your preferences were or recommendations for a brand with a high thc level and also a very good yeild?

thanks

S

Slick

Excellent tips THC, I would never have thought of that even though Ive used the plasterboard before. It's called Gyproc Fireline and can be found at pretty much any decent DIY store in the UK so Im sure it can't be hard to source elsewhere.

Slick

Green81

Green81

Premium Member
Supporter
bro a normal 1/2 inch plaster board 8x4 is about £3.75
a fire board is about £6 for a 6x3

foamed back would be my option personally m8!
all these eco friendly houses are using them!
dont look sus transporting them or working with them!
old bill cannot say that the room was constructed only for growing perposes, and if you own the property youve just added some value too :)

Im on it, thanks for all the great info!

Latest posts

Top Bottom