NPK ratio questions/HELP!

• Thread starter 420.hydro
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
420.hydro

420.hydro

hi everyone!!!
need some help with NPK ratios when combing nutes/supplements.
if im following a particular suppliers feed chart/schedule wouldn't the NPK ratios already be set? i know i have to add calmag and a bulker
the reason i ask is because of all the calculations needed to find this ratio.
what is the reasoning behind calculating this ratio and do any suppliers supply these ratios somewhere?
my wife is an excel genius (at least in my eyes) and we were attempting to set up an excel file to calculate this ratio based on water volume needed and week/day of veg/flower....the more nutes/supplements the more calculations needed...so before we get too involved in this endeavor we would be interested in knowing if any this exists already (negative on a google search but that could've been bad keywords).
I've had 2 successful indoor grows, 1 hydro that failed and 1 outdoor that could have been better,all in coco without using ratios and my nutes were from multiple suppliers.
so maybe the $100k question is what am i missing or not understanding...and PLEASE dumb it down big time!!
Thanks ahead of time!!
PEACE!

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
hi everyone!!!
need some help with NPK ratios when combing nutes/supplements.
if im following a particular suppliers feed chart/schedule wouldn't the NPK ratios already be set? i know i have to add calmag and a bulker
the reason i ask is because of all the calculations needed to find this ratio.
what is the reasoning behind calculating this ratio and do any suppliers supply these ratios somewhere?
my wife is an excel genius (at least in my eyes) and we were attempting to set up an excel file to calculate this ratio based on water volume needed and week/day of veg/flower....the more nutes/supplements the more calculations needed...so before we get too involved in this endeavor we would be interested in knowing if any this exists already (negative on a google search but that could've been bad keywords).
I've had 2 successful indoor grows, 1 hydro that failed and 1 outdoor that could have been better,all in coco without using ratios and my nutes were from multiple suppliers.
so maybe the $100k question is what am i missing or not understanding...and PLEASE dumb it down big time!!
Thanks ahead of time!!
PEACE!

Well

Lets start by saying this is gonna be some seat time. Not only is the ratio important but the actual salts used is just as important. You need to have an understanding of this because certain ratios of stuff like P:CA or Mg:Ca ect can have neg effects. Also if using stuff like carbonate bases you have to be careful at the strength you mix the nutes from. This is where having an understanding of mixing different nute companies (hell even some of the same nutes from the same companies) comes into it if using commercial lines.

To dumb it down:

DL that. That will do everything a spreadsheet would do already. Very powerful tool and very useful once you go down this path.

Now one thing to be aware of not every company is truthful on the actual breakdown of what the NPK is or what is actually used in the mix. Either they hide the formula so it isn't copied/reverse for pennies on the dollar or they are doing it cause of labeling requirements and satisfying it without having to dump a ton of money into testing and relabeling. You will notice this when using the above program and you wont be able to hit the ratios the bottles claim using all of the claimed ingredients (looking at you Veg+Bloom).

Check these out to get started:

This has some good info spread around it. To get the meat and potatoes tho Google Scholar searches are your best friends.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Also need to consider the ratio of immediately available nutrients vs total nutrients contained. Hydro buddy allows you to see both.

This was something I missed when I first started using it.

It also has a lot of info you will find useful under different tabs and should read them all first

sturgis

sturgis

…JMO...read labels, understand what's in it, and know how to use a TDS meter.....Directions on the label are nothing but a general guide…One of the draw backs to single pre mix nutrient's is they are not very flexible to use...…12yr+ growing with coco and Jacks here...…….its cheap, very flexible, it works, its cheap, super simple to use.....and its cheap...…..mine run 50% Nitrogen from the start and go upwards of 70% sometimes during veg and into flower......then I drop the N slowly down till I start flush in late flower.....its important to watch calcium /nitrogen ratios...….I prefer a strong 1:1 ratio...the Jacks Calnit is 15% nitrogen and 18% calcium.....a perfect strong 1:1+ ratio.....

PlayDoh72

PlayDoh72

I'm not seeing a reply from the OP and the answers given are probably sufficient for the average human. Assume then that I'm the runt of the litter and need a little more coaching, LOL...

I'm about to start my first grow, but I need to wrap my head around the recommended NPK ratio versus the actual supplied ratio by the nutrients first. I understand there are various opinions regarding the recommended ratio for different stages of veg, so let's go with one I came across: 4-2-3.

PARAMETERS:
1) I'm using the "Humboldts Secret Starter Pack" line of nutes + Cal Mag + Silica:
a) Base A (4-0-1)
b) Base B (1-4-2)
c) Golden Tree (0-0-2)
d) Cal-Mag (2-0-0)
e) Silica (0-0-0.5)

2) I'm dilluting the nutes in RO water according to the manufacturer's feeding chart:
a) 5-9mL / gal
b) 5-9mL / gal
c) 5-9mL / gal
d) 5-10mL / gal
e) 1mL / gal

The combined NPK ratio (by vol) for the nutes at minimum dosage = (1.94)-(1.11)-(1.08).
The combined NPK ratio (by vol) for the nutes at maximum dosage = (2.10)-(1.16)-(1.02).

THE QUESTION:
The maximum dosage NPK from the nutes doesn't equal the recommended ratio for the veg stage, so should I follow Humboldt's feeding chart or should I tweak the combined nutes to achieve the 4-2-3 ratio?

Note: I'm not taking into account the recommended EC/PPM measurement of the nute input here.

Thanks!
-PlayDoh

Pippins

Pippins

I'm not seeing a reply from the OP and the answers given are probably sufficient for the average human. Assume then that I'm the runt of the litter and need a little more coaching, LOL...

I'm about to start my first grow, but I need to wrap my head around the recommended NPK ratio versus the actual supplied ratio by the nutrients first. I understand there are various opinions regarding the recommended ratio for different stages of veg, so let's go with one I came across: 4-2-3.

PARAMETERS:
1) I'm using the "Humboldts Secret Starter Pack" line of nutes + Cal Mag + Silica:
a) Base A (4-0-1)
b) Base B (1-4-2)
c) Golden Tree (0-0-2)
d) Cal-Mag (2-0-0)
e) Silica (0-0-0.5)

2) I'm dilluting the nutes in RO water according to the manufacturer's feeding chart:
a) 5-9mL / gal
b) 5-9mL / gal
c) 5-9mL / gal
d) 5-10mL / gal
e) 1mL / gal

The combined NPK ratio (by vol) for the nutes at minimum dosage = (1.94)-(1.11)-(1.08).
The combined NPK ratio (by vol) for the nutes at maximum dosage = (2.10)-(1.16)-(1.02).

THE QUESTION:
The maximum dosage NPK from the nutes doesn't equal the recommended ratio for the veg stage, so should I follow Humboldt's feeding chart or should I tweak the combined nutes to achieve the 4-2-3 ratio?

Note: I'm not taking into account the recommended EC/PPM measurement of the nute input here.

Thanks!
-PlayDoh
You really should measure the ppms-those nute company feeding charts are notoriously on the high side because they want to sell as much product as possible.

PlayDoh72

PlayDoh72

I'm sorry, I meant I'm not considering the PPM in my example. I will definitely do so when growing starts.

Latest posts

Top Bottom