Nut Burn?

• Thread starter deadcat
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
deadcat

deadcat

Nute Burn?

I noticed some tips of the leaves getting dried out and yellow, and one of the plants first set of true leaves seems spotty, with dry white tips and thin brown spots on it. I think it might be nutrient burn. I flushed the system and used only 1/2 the nutes, I don't see much if any adverse change since then but still wanted to post the pics to get some suggestions

IMG_02741.JPG
IMG_0273.JPG
IMG_02721.JPG
IMG_02711.JPG

Hydro Growers:
1. Are you growing from seed or clones? Seeds
2. How old are your plants? 2 Weeks 1 Day
3. How tall are your plants? 4inches or so
4. What type of hydro system are you using? 6 plant, sits in nutrients airstone to circulate
5. What brand/type of nutrients are you using? Fox Farm: Grow Big
6. What is the Ph of your nutrient solution? Still waiting on PH Meter
7. What is the PPM/EC of your tap water? Not sure
8. What is the PPM/EC of your nutrient solution? Not sure
9. What is the temperature of your nutrient solution? Room (75F)
10. Does your PPM/EC show a rise or fall when you do your daily PPM check? ?
11. Does your pH show a rise or fall when you do your daily check? Still waiting on PH Meter
12. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything? No
13. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? T5HO 96w
14. How close are your lights to the plants? 2-4 inches
15. What size is your grow space in square feet? 2x4x5
16. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space? 75, humidity.. not sure
17. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space? No
18. How much experience do you have growing? 3 yrs

L

lil miss lone

I'd say that is Nute burn, and seeing as you don't have a ppm meter I'm sure that's your prob. How much of that fox farm grow big are you feeding them?

Bluelab makes an excellent ppm/pH meter, btw. I'm not sure how much it was, but I love it. I used to use a Truncheon and a separate pH meter, huge hassle.

deadcat

deadcat

I'd say that is Nute burn, and seeing as you don't have a ppm meter I'm sure that's your prob. How much of that fox farm grow big are you feeding them?

Bluelab makes an excellent ppm/pH meter, btw. I'm not sure how much it was, but I love it. I used to use a Truncheon and a separate pH meter, huge hassle.

Bluelab, cool. I got a cheapo kit on the way for now but was looking for a quality digital meter. I've gave them about 1tsp per 3 gals to start (1/4 the recommended; recommended is 4 tsp per gal for heavy feeding), then after about 1 week I up'd it to 2tsp per 3 gals, then slowly noticed tips changing, thought it might not be too bad but after another day I noticed an increase in leaf tip death. That's when I flushed and just used 1 & 1/2 tsp per 3 gals. I just did that 2 days ago and not noticing any new damage, just old damage changing slightly (shriving, changing from brown to white) so I think I'm good. This is my first time using this kind of system so I think I prob just need to take it slow with the nutes and get that PH meter. Thanks for the second opinion btw.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Oh God, not NUT BURN!!! LMAO!!! I'm sorry, I was talking to my husband and read the thread title out loud and I just died. Sorry.

Not so sure that's nute burn, my friend. Are you only giving them the FF Grow Big? K, don't take this the wrong way, but I don't like this particular product, I don't like how they've derived their numbers, nothing natural or organic about it. That said, what's missing in that there feeding regimen of yours are two extremely important minerals--calcium and magnesium. FF Grow Big doesn't appear to have either.

Ingredients: Ammonium Sulfate, Ammonium Phosphate, Urea, Blood Meal, Potassium Nitrate, Potassium Sulfate, Earthworm Castings, Norwegian Kelp, iron EDTA, zinc EDTA, manganese EDTA, copper EDTA, chelating agent, Disodium Ethylenediamine Tetra Acetate (EDTA), sodium borate, and sodium molybdate.
Nope, no calcium or magnesium.

A cookie for the first person who can guess what I'm gonna suggest.

deadcat

deadcat

Oh God, not NUT BURN!!! LMAO!!! I'm sorry, I was talking to my husband and read the thread title out loud and I just died. Sorry.

Not so sure that's nute burn, my friend. Are you only giving them the FF Grow Big? K, don't take this the wrong way, but I don't like this particular product, I don't like how they've derived their numbers, nothing natural or organic about it. That said, what's missing in that there feeding regimen of yours are two extremely important minerals--calcium and magnesium. FF Grow Big doesn't appear to have either.

Nope, no calcium or magnesium.

A cookie for the first person who can guess what I'm gonna suggest.
LOL, I know. I noticed it when I posted but couldn't change it afterward.
Looks like it has magnesium. My bottle says .6%. I see the website doesn't put this on there when it's explaining the ingredients but they are on the bottle. Ingredients stated it has magnesium nitrate as well as magnesium sulfate. About the Calcium, earthworm castings would be a source for calcium:

Analysis of earthworm casting reveals that they are richer in plant nutrients than the soil, about three times more calcium and several times more nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium. (K.P. Barley, Advances in Agronomy, Vol. 13, 1961, p. 251)

I believe the Norwegian Kelp also contains trace-minerals of calcium, as well as potassium, magnesium and iron.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Hehhehh... H1N1! No.. It's a Cal-Mag joke. If I knew how to make the laughing smilie guy, I would.

Dead, I didn't see a total analysis, perhaps it's getting those numbers from the EW castings and the kelp (the Ca/Mg), but the other stuff, unless I'm horribly, horribly mistaken, doesn't supply those minerals. I see manganese, I see a couple of sources of potassium, sulfur, phosphorous, nitrogen, zinc, iron, boron and molybdenum.

You could give a foliar of Ca/Mg of some sort, if it alleviates the progression of symptoms then you're getting closer to a solution.

deadcat

deadcat

Hehhehh... H1N1! No.. It's a Cal-Mag joke. If I knew how to make the laughing smilie guy, I would.

Dead, I didn't see a total analysis, perhaps it's getting those numbers from the EW castings and the kelp (the Ca/Mg), but the other stuff, unless I'm horribly, horribly mistaken, doesn't supply those minerals. I see manganese, I see a couple of sources of potassium, sulfur, phosphorous, nitrogen, zinc, iron, boron and molybdenum.

You could give a foliar of Ca/Mg of some sort, if it alleviates the progression of symptoms then you're getting closer to a solution.

The site advertising the product doesn't say it has them but the bottle itself does, it says so right on the bottle under ingredients.

S

Steve Z

i use grow big

it has magnesium, but im pretty sure it doesnt have calcium.

could be wrong, but i know it has mag for sure

deadcat

deadcat

i use grow big

Earthworm castings have calcium. Do you only use grow big (when using grow big) or do you add other nutes too?

S

Steve Z

for veg i use grow big and humboldt roots once a week through week 3 flower. i cut the grow big out entirely 2nd week flower for 8 weekers and 3rd or so for longer

LBH

LBH

Definitely not nut burn, that looks more like this :fighting0084:

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
i use grow big

In what form? That's what I was looking for.

Deadcat, doesn't matter to me what the manu/bottle says, I read the plants, not just bottles. I'm reading your plants and they say they need calcium to me. A foliar application of Cal-Mag, or Ca-Mg, or dolomitic lime dissolved in clean water at a more acidic pH, or a calcium feed with MgSO4, however you do it, try it, see if it stops progression. Always include a sticker/spreader in the foliar, liquid dish soap (aka washing up liquid, IIRC), stylet oil or another horticultural oil, or even SM-90, just because it smells so good but also does that job for you.

I recommend going the foliar route first, because you get the quickest results and haven't committed an entire reservoir to using it.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Why on earth don't they list that? Oh well, doesn't matter, really. If it's only got the Mg and no Ca, then Ca must be added. It's like eating nothing but bananas, but no milk or spinach--your muscles just won't work properly if you do that.

S

Steve Z

i dont know, its on my bottle but not the site.... maybe they changed it since i bought mine??? (march-ish)

deadcat

deadcat

Kind of funny you guys keep saying it's not nute burn because since lowering the nute levels the plants have stopped getting necrosis spots, and began growth again. I'm not seeing any new spots appearing. Seems like it was definitely nute burn. And like I've said over 3 times now, earthworm casting = Calcium (THIS PRODUCT DOES HAVE CALCIUM!!!) if you don't even read my posts, how can I take your advice seriously? Also, Norwegian Kelp has calcium in it too and that is in Grow Big, therefore this product has both Magnesium and Calcium. I'm sorry if you don't like this product, but please keep it from affecting a correct diagnosis.

Thanks for all your help guys, problem solved. Was nute burn, doing good now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom