Nute lockout or natural process?

• Thread starter CannaDana
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CannaDana

CannaDana

I'm probably just being newbie paranoid, but I wanted to get the farm's wisdom, such as it is.

Question: I'm growing two strains. One is light green with leaves dying, the other is dark green. From the video below, am I feeding too many nutes and getting a lockout on the ones on the left? Or am I just being a paranoid helicopter cultivator?

GG4 on the left, Kush Mints on the right. They have been in flower for five weeks, today, and today begins Week 6 of flower. This is Day 35 since flipping to 12/12. This is only my second grow. Compared to week-by-week descriptions of flower that I've seen online and compared to posts here by others, my flowers seem to be behind in growth. They're not fattening or filling in much. The GG4 colas are short and not lengthening, and the Kush Mints are skinny and not fattening up (and it's a lot of leaf, which is probably just genetics at work). They are in FF Ocean Forest soil, and I'm using FF nutes.

Today I fed the heaviest I've ever fed them, which is the full "recommended" dose. I'm conservative with nutes, and usually feed 1/2 to 2/3 the recommended dose. Today they got the full boat of flowering nutes (Tiger Bloom and Big Bloom) along with CalMag and Recharge, all at full strength. My thought was if they're growing too slowly, maybe they're not getting enough food.

However, I see two things that could be of concern, or maybe not.

1. The GG4 leaves are yellowing and dying off. Maybe a sign of lockout. And as you can see, leaf tips on the yellowing leaves are dropping in a mild "claw" manner. Lockout? But maybe it's just natural for this strain to be dying off at five weeks. I dunno. Seems a little early, but I've never grown this strain before.

2. The Kush Mints are a dark green. They have always been darker green than the GG4, so part of it is genetic. But they are dark and that's a symptom of nitrogen toxicity. I was feeding moderate amounts of Grow Big, the nute that favors nitrogen, but stopped using that earlier in the week. Didn't use any today.

3. GG4 leaf tips show what is possibly some light burn. Kush Mint leaf tips look pretty good, though maybe a bit burned at the very, very tips.

Now, I know that the hardest thing here is getting accurate advice regarding nutrient problems. They are tough to diagnose to begin with, and then you get people who don't know jack coming in and declaring with certainty that they know the answer, and it's hard to tell who knows and who doesn't.

I hope you tell me this is fine, and the plants are doing great. But if you think I've overdone the nutes and it's causing a problem, please let me know, and tell me what to do about it. (I cannot move the plants anymore, so can't subject them to a big flush with tons of runoff, so if that's the cure I need advice on how to do it with plants in place.)

Thanks. Here's a video of what they look like.

steamroller

steamroller

I suspect you are just seeing natural color fade .
I am 1 week ahead of you and seeing crazy colors from purple to light green and yellow .
I have been feeding full for a while now with extras I don't you are using for bud . I am FF all the way basically .
I am not sure but think some of the yellowing is a sulfur def. for me ,but then wonder if it is natural for the plant to 'flush itself' of mobile nutrients ?
Certain strains I have say they will go purple but no notes on the one [ only of that strain I have ] that is light green with yellow leaves . This makes me wonder about it like you.
But for what it is worth, while he leaves are concerning the buds are not ! This particular plant has buds that just look more delicious every day no matter what the leaves do ?

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
your video makes it hard to tell, but the plants of concern seem to have foxtailed a bit generally from heat stress, which may have been caused by light stress from the looks of how the leaves are yellowing..
no such thing as a natural fade with indoor growing unless done on purpose..
maybe do a slurry test also..

CannaDana

CannaDana

your video makes it hard to tell, but the plants of concern seem to have foxtailed a bit generally from heat stress, which may have been caused by light stress from the looks of how the leaves are yellowing..
no such thing as a natural fade with indoor growing unless done on purpose..
maybe do a slurry test also..
What is a slurry test?

Wouldn't be heat stress. I monitor temperature very closely. The room temperature during the day averages 77F, never gets above 80, never gets below 74. At night, now, I'm allowing it to get down into the upper 60s. Leaf temperature during the day stays very close to 76 all day long.

Could be light stress I suppose. Lights are 21" above the upper buds, 26" above the canopy. I have them at 86%, which gives 1000 ppfd for the tallest cola in the center, 650 ppfd in the corners. I can't raise them any higher.

CannaDana

CannaDana

Fantastic. I'll try that today.

I've very carefully kept pH of water going into the soil at 6.2-6.4 for the entire grow, so it will be interesting where the soil is at.

Moshmen

Moshmen

Fantastic. I'll try that today.

I've very carefully kept pH of water going into the soil at 6.2-6.4 for the entire grow, so it will be interesting where the soil is at.
The slurry will help you determine salt build up that could be lock-in ya out - any chance you have a ec meter? Or ppm ? With soil it’s nice to know what’s going in and what’s coming out ?

CannaDana

CannaDana

The slurry will help you determine salt build up that could be lock-in ya out - any chance you have a ec meter? Or ppm ? With soil it’s nice to know what’s going in and what’s coming out ?
I do have an EC/ppm meter, but I don't use it. First, I don't know what I'm looking at, and second someone here said that these meters are for hydro and are pretty useless for soil because it will always read high. You just never know if you're getting the straight scoop here, but without any other information I accepted that as true.

But I'd love to learn about this. I paid a lot for the meter, I should know how to use it, if it's useful in soil. And I want to learn as much as I possibly can. I took a 6-month course on Cannabis Agriculture and Horticulture at the University of Wisconsin (yeah, they teach growing cannabis!), and not once did they talk about EC/ppm. So this is all new to me. Give me knowledge, point me in the right direction, and I'll be forever grateful. 😊 😊

Moshmen

Moshmen

I do have an EC/ppm meter, but I don't use it. First, I don't know what I'm looking at, and second someone here said that these meters are for hydro and are pretty useless for soil because it will always read high. You just never know if you're getting the straight scoop here, but without any other information I accepted that as true.

But I'd love to learn about this. I paid a lot for the meter, I should know how to use it, if it's useful in soil. And I want to learn as much as I possibly can. I took a 6-month course on Cannabis Agriculture and Horticulture at the University of Wisconsin (yeah, they teach growing cannabis!), and not once did they talk about EC/ppm. So this is all new to me. Give me knowledge, point me in the right direction, and I'll be forever grateful. 😊 😊
What meter ya got?

it’s useful to tell the amount of nutes your putting into your water and coming out of t your runoff - let me see what I can find for you this afternoon I have some things to do .

right now I feed 1000 ppm pure pblend pro grow, 150 ppm of silica, and 300 ppm of pure blend pro bloom with my water at 200 - total ppm before feeding is 1642 ppm per my ppm meter. I only use this number to compare to run off , which in my case was 1860 I’m ok with that but you can see if there is salt build up or not. Any how I’ll find ya someone to explain it better

CannaDana

CannaDana

What meter ya got?

it’s useful to tell the amount of nutes your putting into your water and coming out of t your runoff - let me see what I can find for you this afternoon I have some things to do .

right now I feed 1000 ppm pure pblend pro grow, 150 ppm of silica, and 300 ppm of pure blend pro bloom with my water at 200 - total ppm before feeding is 1642 ppm per my ppm meter. I only use this number to compare to run off , which in my case was 1860 I’m ok with that but you can see if there is salt build up or not. Any how I’ll find ya someone to explain it better
Thank you!!!

My meter is by BlueLab.

SmokinJo421

SmokinJo421

I'm probably just being newbie paranoid, but I wanted to get the farm's wisdom, such as it is.

Question: I'm growing two strains. One is light green with leaves dying, the other is dark green. From the video below, am I feeding too many nutes and getting a lockout on the ones on the left? Or am I just being a paranoid helicopter cultivator?

GG4 on the left, Kush Mints on the right. They have been in flower for five weeks, today, and today begins Week 6 of flower. This is Day 35 since flipping to 12/12. This is only my second grow. Compared to week-by-week descriptions of flower that I've seen online and compared to posts here by others, my flowers seem to be behind in growth. They're not fattening or filling in much. The GG4 colas are short and not lengthening, and the Kush Mints are skinny and not fattening up (and it's a lot of leaf, which is probably just genetics at work). They are in FF Ocean Forest soil, and I'm using FF nutes.

Today I fed the heaviest I've ever fed them, which is the full "recommended" dose. I'm conservative with nutes, and usually feed 1/2 to 2/3 the recommended dose. Today they got the full boat of flowering nutes (Tiger Bloom and Big Bloom) along with CalMag and Recharge, all at full strength. My thought was if they're growing too slowly, maybe they're not getting enough food.

However, I see two things that could be of concern, or maybe not.

1. The GG4 leaves are yellowing and dying off. Maybe a sign of lockout. And as you can see, leaf tips on the yellowing leaves are dropping in a mild "claw" manner. Lockout? But maybe it's just natural for this strain to be dying off at five weeks. I dunno. Seems a little early, but I've never grown this strain before.

2. The Kush Mints are a dark green. They have always been darker green than the GG4, so part of it is genetic. But they are dark and that's a symptom of nitrogen toxicity. I was feeding moderate amounts of Grow Big, the nute that favors nitrogen, but stopped using that earlier in the week. Didn't use any today.

3. GG4 leaf tips show what is possibly some light burn. Kush Mint leaf tips look pretty good, though maybe a bit burned at the very, very tips.

Now, I know that the hardest thing here is getting accurate advice regarding nutrient problems. They are tough to diagnose to begin with, and then you get people who don't know jack coming in and declaring with certainty that they know the answer, and it's hard to tell who knows and who doesn't.

I hope you tell me this is fine, and the plants are doing great. But if you think I've overdone the nutes and it's causing a problem, please let me know, and tell me what to do about it. (I cannot move the plants anymore, so can't subject them to a big flush with tons of runoff, so if that's the cure I need advice on how to do it with plants in place.)

Thanks. Here's a video of what they look like.

View attachment 1229877
Wat has you thinkin/sayin that,
The purple?
Stuff looks fine seems like 2 weeks or less & done. good job!!

SmokinJo421

SmokinJo421

What meter ya got?

Good video that helped me better understand is 9/11 rule at " grow your greens " on YouTube

CannaDana

CannaDana

By the way, it all turned out fine. Like a newborn baby, 7 lbs., 9 oz. baby flower girl. 😊

GG4 in the foreground and middle. Kush Mints on the left and right. Large jars are 1 gallon, for perspective. Many, many jars of flower (and baggies for the popcorn) not depicted. With how potent this stuff is, I calculated that it will take me 80 years to consume all of it. LOL!

IMG 0974
Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom