Nute Pack In Tea Is Fine.

• Thread starter Capulator
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
manicgrower

manicgrower

Premium Member
Supporter
Microbeman says that, based on what he's scoped, a single pass through a pump (I'm assuming he means a magnetic impeller pump here, not diaphragm) will not kill microbes. However, most recirculating pumps I know of are mag driven impeller pumps, which means that microbes are gonna get bashed to hell.

I have a Northern Tool tank sprayer that I also use for watering. While the tank itself is too big for my indoor needs (26gal) I'm sure there are those who could use something this size. They come with the perfect type of pump for keeping microbes alive--a diaphragm pump (12v, so you need a battery or converter). I put mine in a cart I tow with our garden tractor.

So, what I take away from what Microbeman has written and scoped, my own knowledge of impeller pumps and how they will kill other microbial animals (in the reefkeeping world), is that a diaphragm pump is what you want to move the tea from Point A to Point B, and air is what you want to culture the tea, to aerate it. I got myself what turned out to be a GIGANTO EcoPlus 7, but the smaller models are what's recommended for folks making smaller amounts of teas. In fact, when I saw that Ecoplus, ya wanna know what my first thought was? FISHROOM! Our entire basement filled with fish tanks and fish! <droolz>

Instead here I am growing these practically inanimate weed & veggies. Fish are so much fun.

This is very concerning to me. Ive been using magnetic impeller type pumps to mix my tea mix before applying. Ive always had great results with Caps bennies. In fact, the brewer that I use uses a magnetic impeller driven pump to recirculate the tea..

Flo n brew

Titan Controls Flo-N-Brew
It's crazy that they would make and sell a tea brewer that actually destroys the micro life!

budm

budm

Capitalism at its finest. Besides, if your multiplying into the billions what's a few million deaths here or there. Lol

That being said, I use a 5 gallon DIY vortex brewer.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
This is very concerning to me. Ive been using magnetic impeller type pumps to mix my tea mix before applying. Ive always had great results with Caps bennies. In fact, the brewer that I use uses a magnetic impeller driven pump to recirculate the tea..

View attachment 350225
Titan Controls Flo-N-Brew
It's crazy that they would make and sell a tea brewer that actually destroys the micro life!
Hrm... I'd wanna scope the tea after all that time going through the mag drive pump, then, just to be sure. I know that mag drive pumps shred the planktonic animals we culture to feed, say, captive-bred clownfish larvae, many larval forms as it turns out. Yeah, it's crazy that they'd do that, but maybe they're just jumping the bandwagon without really knowing or understanding what the goal is. That said, even a simple tea that hasn't actually cultured m/any microbes can be beneficial, IME.

manicgrower

manicgrower

Premium Member
Supporter
Hrm... I'd wanna scope the tea after all that time going through the mag drive pump, then, just to be sure. I know that mag drive pumps shred the planktonic animals we culture to feed, say, captive-bred clownfish larvae, many larval forms as it turns out. Yeah, it's crazy that they'd do that, but maybe they're just jumping the bandwagon without really knowing or understanding what the goal is. That said, even a simple tea that hasn't actually cultured m/any microbes can be beneficial, IME.

I guess so. I dont have a microscope or Id have a look see. Ill be brewing without the pump from now on though. Now I have to find a diaphragm pump as well to water with the tea:greedy:. Ive used mag drive pumps on my Salt water tanks and haven't had any issues with the tanks cycle's.

Maybe Cap can do a few experiments with the pumps and see what he comes up with..

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Right, and you wouldn't, because those bacteria, the nitrifiers that you're using, are benthic, not free-floating.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
I guess so. I dont have a microscope or Id have a look see. Ill be brewing without the pump from now on though. Now I have to find a diaphragm pump as well to water with the tea:greedy:. Ive used mag drive pumps on my Salt water tanks and haven't had any issues with the tanks cycle's.

Maybe Cap can do a few experiments with the pumps and see what he comes up with..

Manic I ran the bennies through a high pressure vacuum fogger and there was still a shitload of them alive and well on the slide. I also run soem benny tea in a res that has a recirculating mag drive pump going 24/7 and I am certain that the spores still made it up in to the crown because the rockwool cubes get covered with fuzz that chkes off all algae and roots go apeshit.

Top Bottom