Nutrient deficiency? Picture heavy thread

• Thread starter Tommyk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

Tommyk

Hello. This is my second grow and I'm having some problems with my Pure power plants. Why do my plants look like this?

I'm using Biobizz starters pack, which consists of Biobizz bloom, grow, bioheaven, topmax and root juice. I'm using water with a ph of 6.5 before mixing in the nutrients.

Why do the leaves of my cuttlings curl downwards? Nute burn on the third picture? Also the red stem, what is that about?

I'm running a 600w. We have soft water where I live.

Nutrient deficiency picture heavy thread

Nutrient deficiency picture heavy thread 2

Nutrient deficiency picture heavy thread 3

Nutrient deficiency picture heavy thread 4

Nutrient deficiency picture heavy thread 5

Nutrient deficiency picture heavy thread 6

Nutrient deficiency picture heavy thread 7

Dr. Detroit

Dr. Detroit

Necrotic tips, red stems, and a hard downturned leaf curl all seem to signal deficiencies, but I'd suppose that it's more likely another underlying cause.

What medium are you using, firstly?

My guess is that you're probably overwatering and not adjusting your pH level properly. Check your pH after the solution is mixed, and not before. Are your pots able to properly drain?

L

lil miss lone

Jeez, do you have any flyers (fungus gnat looking things) in the room? What is the pest situation.

J

jacobgriis02

See I thought they were nute burnt at first, you are getting all sort of conflicting advice from these replies hehe sorry.

But from all the nutes you listed as you were using... I would think they are more likely to be burnt than deficient! How heavy were you feeding them?

T

Tommyk

Jeez, do you have any flyers (fungus gnat looking things) in the room? What is the pest situation.

Yes I have a little problem with fungus gnats. Also with what I suspect is thrips.

Do you think that they are the problem?

T

Tommyk

See I thought they were nute burnt at first, you are getting all sort of conflicting advice from these replies hehe sorry.

But from all the nutes you listed as you were using... I would think they are more likely to be burnt than deficient! How heavy were you feeding them?

Yeah so did I, but I only used half strenght of the nutes (1-2 ml) at first for a week and now full strenght (4 ml) for all of the listed.

I think the problem lies within the soil, but can't figure it out.

J

jacobgriis02

Bugs can def ruin your plants, from my experience there is no "little problem" with fungus gnats, if you can see some, theres definitely like 5 times as many you cant see. since your feeding schedule seems ok i a leaning towards a bug problem now, good luck let us know of your progress!

R

Relaxed420

Did you take those clones off of the flowering plants? If so, how far into bloom were they when you took them? Looks like a P issue, in your babbies it could be caused by taking cuts during a flowering period and they are having the stress of going from veg to bloom to veg. Are you using bloom enhancers during veg period?

I would also look at the root aphid possibility. I would look at the roots and see if there are any critters I could see, if so, then I'd start working on a root aphid solution, if I didn't see anything, I'd run a flush, feed and see how they look. (and if you are using the bloom enhancers for your veg plants, cut them out and see what happens)

J

jacobgriis02

Are you sure you are getting enough iron, copper, other micro nutes? Im not familar with the biobizz nutrient line

T

Tommyk

Bugs can def ruin your plants, from my experience there is no "little problem" with fungus gnats, if you can see some, theres definitely like 5 times as many you cant see. since your feeding schedule seems ok i a leaning towards a bug problem now, good luck let us know of your progress!

Yeah the sticky flying trap is full of them, cant imagine how many kids are in the soil messing with the roots.

Did you take those clones off of the flowering plants? If so, how far into bloom were they when you took them? Looks like a P issue, in your babbies it could be caused by taking cuts during a flowering period and they are having the stress of going from veg to bloom to veg. Are you using bloom enhancers during veg period?

I would also look at the root aphid possibility. I would look at the roots and see if there are any critters I could see, if so, then I'd start working on a root aphid solution, if I didn't see anything, I'd run a flush, feed and see how they look. (and if you are using the bloom enhancers for your veg plants, cut them out and see what happens)

I took the clones from a vegetative mother plant. I did not use any fertilizer on the motherplant I only repotted to a bigger bucket with fresh soil. My other clones are looking ok.

Are you sure you are getting enough iron, copper, other micro nutes? Im not familar with the biobizz nutrient line

Yeah I think I'm getting micro nutrients from one of the nutes that I listed (cant remember which one).

Thanks for the quick answers.

J

jacobgriis02

You said the first week you used partial strength was it ok ? Or was the situation still deteriorating, would you say your problems occured the day or two after you went full strength? If you said you went full strength on "all" the nutes listed, you may have stacked too many nutes together perhaps? Could still be burn perhaps. Maybe try a flush and go back to low dosage? Also add some broken bits of mosquito dunk to your soil mix to take care of those bugs.

T

Tommyk

You said the first week you used partial strength was it ok ? Or was the situation still deteriorating, would you say your problems occured the day or two after you went full strength? If you said you went full strength on "all" the nutes listed, you may have stacked too many nutes together perhaps? Could still be burn perhaps. Maybe try a flush and go back to low dosage? Also add some broken bits of mosquito dunk to your soil mix to take care of those bugs.

No the situation was still the same before I went full strenght. I'll try with a flush, repot and low dosage.

L

lil miss lone

Yes I have a little problem with fungus gnats. Also with what I suspect is thrips.

Its not fungus gnats bro, it is something called root aphids. They feed on the roots and suck the nutrients out, leaving dead and yellowing leaves. Why do you suspect thrips? Describe the bugs for me bro, and their location. I've never had thrips, but I have had root aphids and did a whole thread on them. They are a Huge problem and must be dealt with swiftly.

BTW Gonats, Mosquito Dunks or anything with Bti WON'T kill them (aphids). Neither will Diatomatceous earth help at all.

T

Tommyk

Its not fungus gnats bro, it is something called root aphids. They feed on the roots and suck the nutrients out, leaving dead and yellowing leaves. Why do you suspect thrips? Describe the bugs for me bro, and their location. I've never had thrips, but I have had root aphids and did a whole thread on them. They are a Huge problem and must be dealt with swiftly.

BTW Gonats, Mosquito Dunks or anything with Bti WON'T kill them (aphids). Neither will Diatomatceous earth help at all.

I was reading your thread late at night yesterday. And It's spot on. The pictures look the same and what made me 100% sure was this:

"Also, if you poke around the top inch or so of your medium, close to the sides of the container and look
Real close you can see the tiny little crawlies, which are aphids in an early stage of life. "

I did that and it's full of them. What do you suggest to kill them as I have a limited budget. Spectracide or Bayer Tree and Shrub?

Thanks alot! :)

L

lil miss lone

Your welcome Tommy :)

I'd use that Spectracide first, its a contact killer. The Imid seems to stay around in the plant longer than the spectracide does. Id Use that second. Also, try to avoid overwatering, if at all possible. You'll wash the chemicals out of the root zone, so the eggs that hatch or whatever might survive the diluted chemical, or might gain immunity. Mix up you treatments, if you have some Azatrol or Azamax use that also, but if you don't have it its kind of pricey. Good luck bro.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl

Looking at your plants, that's where I would go FIRST, not last. They may not be fungus gnats.

My recommendation is to use Spectracide as a root drench at least twice, and leave it for at least an hour (til full media saturation, you want EVERYTHING to be nailed with it). Watch for secondary diseases, these little motherfuckers vector quite a bit.

T

Tommyk

Looking at your plants, that's where I would go FIRST, not last. They may not be fungus gnats.

My recommendation is to use Spectracide as a root drench at least twice, and leave it for at least an hour (til full media saturation, you want EVERYTHING to be nailed with it). Watch for secondary diseases, these little motherfuckers vector quite a bit.

I think I nailed the problem down to Root aphids. When I scratch the first layer of soil I see some tiny creatures running around and then dissapearing deeper into the soil.

I will order some Spectracide tomorrow and will update when it arrives.

Should I drench the pot in spectracide for an hour?

F

Farmer Jon

Premium Member
Supporter
We have soft water where I live.

You may indeed have bugs as well but I believe "soft water" is your problem if you mean you have a water softening system in use where the grow is located.

taken from a random site: What Is Softened Water
Softened water is water that has been treated, normally with sodium or potassium, to help remove minerals from hard water.

Can You Use Softened Water on Plants
Most of the time it is not a good idea to water your garden with softened water. The reason for this is that softened water typically has a high amount of sodium, which is gotten from salt. Most plants cannot tolerate high amounts of salt. The sodium in softened water actually interferes with the water balance in the plants and can kill plants by “fooling” them into thinking they have taken up more water than they have. Softened water essentially causes the plants in your garden to die of thirst.

Not only does the salt in softened water hurt the plants you water with it, the salt in the water will build up in your soil and will make it difficult for future plants to grow.

Hope this helps.
FJ

T

Tommyk

You may indeed have bugs as well but I believe "soft water" is your problem if you mean you have a water softening system in use where the grow is located.

taken from a random site: What Is Softened Water
Softened water is water that has been treated, normally with sodium or potassium, to help remove minerals from hard water.

Can You Use Softened Water on Plants
Most of the time it is not a good idea to water your garden with softened water. The reason for this is that softened water typically has a high amount of sodium, which is gotten from salt. Most plants cannot tolerate high amounts of salt. The sodium in softened water actually interferes with the water balance in the plants and can kill plants by “fooling” them into thinking they have taken up more water than they have. Softened water essentially causes the plants in your garden to die of thirst.

Not only does the salt in softened water hurt the plants you water with it, the salt in the water will build up in your soil and will make it difficult for future plants to grow.

Hope this helps.
FJ

I will check this up with my ppm meter. I think I had around 80-90 in PPM, so its like more to a medium type of water. But my first grow (northern lights) didnt have this problem, they just all went males :worried

L

lil miss lone

Tommy did you know you can get the Spectracide at Home Depot? The Bayer Tree and Shrub can be found there as well, both for real cheap.

If indeed you do have the aphids, try to think back to that first grow when you got all males. Did you seem to have the same problems as this run? Reason I ask is the stress that aphids cause had many in my last run go male, a higher than usual number. The aphids can also make a very solid strain hermy in flower, so if that has happened it wasn't your fault, just wanted to point that out.

Good luck with your grow and keep us posted.

Top Bottom