Nutrient Deficiency?

• Thread starter Hoang
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Hoang

Hoang

Seems like this cut of The White is getting too much or not enough of something?? 1 gallon coco-perilite mix. Floranova Grow 300 ppm, Ph 5.8 - 6.0. Vegging under T-5 lighting.
Nutrient deficiency
Anything noticeable?

Mr.X

Mr.X

The purple petioles may indicate that you need calmag. You dont mention any with your nutes so im guessing yer not using, wich you should with coco. Every feeding. Its not bad though. You havent said how old she is and yer temps. Looks like it might be a bit hot. But overall its not bad because your leaves haven't started to show chlorosis or whitening of the leaves only the veins remaining green, that would be an advanced state of deficiency. Best of luck 2U.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Bump your ppm's up a bit. I run around 500-600 when they're that size in straight coco. But I also use Canna Coco line instead, so I'm not familiar if there would be much of a difference.

Unlike a lot of coco growers, I also hit them with a slightly lower pH as well, typically allowing a range between 5.5 and 5.8. I've noticed this provides better access to all nutrients as opposed to feeding straight at 5.8 every time. I avoid deficiencies this way. Your plant is looking good though, nothing too severe!

Have you checked your run off ppm level? Want to make sure you're getting adequate run off every watering, 10% - 20% at minimum. By keeping an eye on the ppm's coming out it will tell you if she's hungry or if there's too much build up in the coco, which will lock out various nutrients. Good luck.

One Love,
tobh

vonwolfen

vonwolfen

How often are you watering?..It looks like she might be slowly drowning. It would also flush nutes if its happening(in coco).

Colossus

Colossus

If you look closely though you can see almost like a powdery substance - Almost like Salt water after its dried... Or is that just me?!

Hoang

Hoang

No, I think you are right, I noticed that as well. Feeding has been minimal due to getting the clone 2 weeks prior. So, that is a pretty short time period to be getting buildup? I let my plants dry out fairly well before watering/feeding. I typically use strait coco, the kind that comes in bricks, without any issues. However, I am using Redigrow, this time. Temps have been a bit warm... between 82 - 87 in the tent. Unfortunately, California is hotter than hell this time of year and I recently moved into a building without central heat and air (just a window unit). Wanted to get a jump start on some cuts before I put them in a 4x4 under 600w in September. Sucks I can not do an indoor grow during the summer. I just added 2 GG#4 and 2 Blue Dream cuts to the mix. The weather has cooled a bit over the past week, hopefully that will help.

Colossus

Colossus

There was some information on this site regarding the Powdery substance (prob worth reading to get an idea if it may be the cause), just search for it in the search bay, you should find some very helpful tips and tricks - Not much more i can share with ya bud, im new to it as well, but reading Grow bibles and websites such as this forum, really does keep an open mind on things! Good luck with it bud!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
The White is a Ca whore in my experience. I've never seen her striped like that, either, she's green, green green. I see striping on the trunk, that's weird and very non-White to me. Otherwise, whenever I see striping on the trunk I generally ignore it, but I seem to recall Joe Fresh saying it's an indicator of... I wanna say Ca issues? I'm drawing a blank, look through his posts though, he's really good at making good diagnoses.

I see the halo of Mg-, too. STOOPID easy to correct with a foliar of MgSO4 (aka Epsom salts). Start at a rate of 1/4tsp/gal water, either as root drench or foliar feed.

I highly recommend getting a Ca-only product and moving away from using Cal-Mag in all scenarios, but especially in coir. Once you separate out these vital macronutrients you'll see what's really going on. Know that Ca must be laid down from the beginning, if you wait until you see a problem, you've waited far, FAR too long, so start now. This is because Ca is relatively immobile in plant tissues.

Mg, on the other hand, is HIGHLY mobile and thus so easy to correct. Give the foliar, you should see some greening up of the halo, probably within a few hours.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
I highly recommend getting a Ca-only product and moving away from using Cal-Mag in all scenarios, but especially in coir. Once you separate out these vital macronutrients you'll see what's really going on. Know that Ca must be laid down from the beginning, if you wait until you see a problem, you've waited far, FAR too long, so start now. This is because Ca is relatively immobile in plant tissues.

Not to thread jack, but can you recommend a product in particular for use in coco that is Ca-only? Seems that the market feeds on the misconception that CalMag are tied together. Asking this for my own personal knowledge-base, hopefully others will use the knowledge as well.

shemshemet

shemshemet

Not to thread jack, but can you recommend a product in particular for use in coco that is Ca-only? Seems that the market feeds on the misconception that CalMag are tied together. Asking this for my own personal knowledge-base, hopefully others will use the knowledge as well.

Oyster shell meal 8)

.......I am not a coco grower, and have no experience to tell me if that would work in coco.

But you could always get some oyster shell meal, use some citric acid, pH to 4.2, and dilute in RO water for some available Ca...maybe?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
No, oyster shell meal is CaCO3, you really, really want to limit how much carbonates you push through the coir or you absolutely *will* begin to lock things out with a quickness in my experience. For that reason I also do not recommend dolomite lime, IIRC it's CaMgCO3, or it's MgCaCO3, but either way you're dealing with that carbonate molecule again, and anyone who knows these substances knows they're a bitch to get pH shifted once they're in the water column or substrate pushing the pH up. Yes, you could push the pH down, but that's a very advanced experiment in my opinion. Just stick with the ready-made products, or use something like gypsum that won't shift pH. Gypsum is CaSO4, so you'll also get sulfur in the mix. Sulfur isn't that hard to get in there, though, especially if you separate out Ca and Mg by using a Ca only product (recommendations below) along with simple Epsom salt (MgSO4).

Make sense? The pH parameters you have to keep in coir cultivation are fairly tight. I recommend 5.8-6.2 with feedings (always feedings, never water only) outside those parameters to help ensure better uptake of all available nutrients. Others like to keep pH pegged at 6.0, and it *is* a good sweet spot to aim for with the vast majority of strains I've grown in coir.
BioLink 6% organic 6% is one of my favorite products for this.
However, if I were to grow in coir again, I might like to try Sensational Solutions micronized CaFeMg. I'm using it in our aquaponic system and so far so good.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Thanks @Seamaiden! Currently I'm using CaliMagic (1% N, 5% Ca, 1.5% Mg, 0.1% Fe) and haven't experienced any issues, but soon enough I'll be moving away from bottled products and was looking specifically for individual components to add to the list.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Specifically for coir cultivation, if you can get the ratio of Ca:Mg up to 6:1, I think you'll like the difference you'll see. A LOT fewer problems, including the K+ that are so easy to induce.

Top Bottom