Nutrients -- The Frankenmix

• Thread starter Disco Duck
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

Disco Duck

I've been reading a lot about nutrients lately. My first grow is going very well and will switch to flush sometime within the next week, so now I am thinking about the next one. It will be a SCROG for one thing. SCROG seems great for a tent and by growing these first plants too big I got to learn how useless buds below where the light is effective are:-)

Anyway, I started thinking about nutes. I used GH's full lineup this time, 3 part base with all the addatives and my plants look amazing. But taste is very important too me, and I've read that many believe H&G nutes provide the best taste. But, then again, Overdrive and MOAB seem to be must haves for many as well. So I started thinking about if a "frankenmix" would be the way to go, or if you really should stick with a single companies lineup because the other things in the different additives don't match up right or something.

So is there some known "Frankenmix" that combines the best products from all the major suppliers? Something like (just throwing out names I seen mentioned a lot)...

H&G base nutes
Diamond Nectar
Pirahna
Bud Ignitor
Floralicious Bloom
Flora Nectar
Overdrive
MOAB

Is there some combo like this that experience growers have proven works well, or are you best off sticking with a single company's lineup if you are not a scientist and don't really know what is in this stuff?

S

strictlyHYDROid

bro a trick i learnt was to just cut the main buds off and then flower the shit looking buds for a further 8 weeks
that way you can still use the existing root system already grown
kill 2 birds with 1 stone

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
I have smoked well grown herb that tasted great using various nutrients lines.

DO not let the hope of "missing out" on some "miracle product" allure you to potentially make a mistake or bring "too many factors" into play.

Did the gh product deliver a taste you do not like?
You are reading up on people opinions. Well those are opinions so should keep that in mind. Also what works for one person may not work the same for another. There are so many factors involved.

You said you are getting great results. So why change things?

Many people who get good results with a product line then state how they like it. Just trying to pick the best product for each element may work out but then could be a nightmare or waste of $$. Unless you can really compare then you will not know what is working and what is not. Then could also be confusing to sort out any problems.

k.i.s.s. No need to a frankenmix especially starting out. Maybe even ever. Some people do have combos that work well for them. Some frankenmixers have a few grows under there belt and are already familiar with the products they are using. Then can tell if what they are adding is improving.

I believe in walking before you run. If you do not get superior results using additives or boosters then stick with the basics. Works and less chance for problems.

A suggestion: I would see how your product turns out. Then if taste is not what you want then try and improve upon the taste. Do not get ahead of yourself, it can be temping to buy all the different shiny miracle products. The industry knows this and make more $$ from it.

for good taste, first must have good genetics and plants that are not overfed and allow to uptake remaining nutrients (flushing)

Let say you change to a frakenmix. How will you know what product delivers? How will you determine what product is screwing things up or making them excell? Good thing to also read up on and think about.

Enviroment is critical if that is not dialed in yet then.

Can get great tasting herb with great yield from just a base nutrient. Supplements can help but are not going to make any miracles happen.

Genetics: If they do not have the flavor nothing will help. Put some honey on shit it is still shit. The statement holds true you cant polish a turd.
Enviroment: not good, then improve it. The above statement is true here as well.

Let say I went to a grow and was trying improve it.
I can usually make a bigger difference in improving the Enviroment than any nutrient change. Again not always the case, but I go for dialed enviroment first then nutrients.

Depending on your medium and method of grow just Make sure you reduce nutrients before harvest for 10-14 days and you should have a clean burning good tasting buds. No reason you should not have that.

DO you like the taste? yes then excellent job! if not then look at improving. And look not just at nutes but the big picture of how everything works together.

The best tasting I ever did was in organic soil without any added nutrients at all. Not the best yield but was the most delicious. Some Veteran smokers can tell the slight difference in taste from some product lines.

Sorry for the long post. Kinda hard to explains things without getting into it a little bit.

Hope that helps you to analyze and determine what works best for you.

D

Disco Duck

Thanks for the reply, that helped a lot. I just started looking into nutrients as part of thinking about my second grow. After looking at it all for a few days, I hard already decided to just stick with the GH stuff I already have for the next run too. I was thinking I might try other nutes if this grow has any trace of that chemical taste I hate in them, but then realized I'd probably be more likely to avoid it in round 2 using nutrients I am already familiar with.

At this point the only thing I am considering nute-wise is replacing Liquid Koolbloom with Hammerhead and Dry Koolbloom with MOAB just to see the difference. There seem to be a lot of people who think the Hammerhead/MOAB combination is very good. Other than that I'll stick with the full GH lineup since I already have everything to get through another grow (probably only need to re-buy 1 bottle).

3rd time around, I'll be almost out of most of my GH bottles and then maybe I'll try H&G just to see if I like it more. AN is very confusing, has way too many products for me to even want to deal with. They really should come up with a 6-8 bottle system that really rocks if they are for real. I have no interest in measuring 20 products into the mix every water change:-)

Top Bottom