Oak leaves for mulch?

• Thread starter below frigid
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
below frigid

below frigid

I have a big ravine lined with Live Oaks on both sides. The leaves have been stacking up before time started. I have leaves in all stages of decomposition. Would these be ok to use as mulch? Which would be better old dead ones, green ones or I have some I piled up years ago that look like soil. Looking to cut back on my water, or I will have to buy another 2500 gallon storage tank.

tj Wise

tj Wise

I am no expert but I would worry that they would leach some nitrogen... which you could compensate for... but... how much? Older
would be better.

SpiderK

SpiderK

use the oldest ones that have degraded into soil for compost or top dressing later. the newer leaves can be used as mulch they take almost a year to break down. shred them up a bit.

start a compost pile for next year mixing in some grass clippings ...

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I have a big ravine lined with Live Oaks on both sides. The leaves have been stacking up before time started. I have leaves in all stages of decomposition. Would these be ok to use as mulch? Which would be better old dead ones, green ones or I have some I piled up years ago that look like soil. Looking to cut back on my water, or I will have to buy another 2500 gallon storage tank.
The older the leaf the closer it is to decomposition, that's what I would use for mulching.

Other natural methods for conserving water include using cover crops. I like low growing crops like clovers and grasses, also fenugreek, but I have also grown amaranth and kept it chopped down. There are also plastic films made specifically to be used for 'mulch.'

If you use newer leaves for mulch, be aware that brown mulches can make N unavailable for a bit, so maybe toss down something high in N below the mulch layer.

organicpanic

organicpanic

I use the oak leaf quit a bit for food crops. I would absolutely use it for outdoor medicine crops. I have not noticed any negative side effects on my gardens leaching N. etc. The leaves that are already composted are a killer free soil builder. I mix it into soil and mulch with it. I've been doing this since about 04 or 05 and have built some really nice soil with it.

B

barefoot

scrape off top layer down to composted dark soils and scoop up......add some oyster shell flour to balance ph ...........as gonna be acidic........put back top layer of leaf material and leave as you found as to keep your supply goin and keepin' mother nature happy.................

ganj on................

ncga

ncga

I would skip the oak leaves. Oak trees have the ability to keep competitors out. Can't remember the exact term from my vineyard class days. You will find more pest and problems using them. If its all you have compost them well

organicpanic

organicpanic

Some Quercus are have phytotoxins,tannins,coumarin etc. I wanna say it's more the deciduous oaks. Ands it's mainly native grasses and herbs they have an effect on. The white and valley oak are known to and at my place they are thick with undergrowth. I wouldn't be overly worried about allelopathy. Just my 2 cents!

Top Bottom