Oakland City Council Looking to Close Patient Gardens

• Thread starter kushpheen
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

kushpheen

This is what happens when you buy city council members, you can convince them to grant you a legal monopoly of the medical and recreational cannabis market by outlawing personal medical gardens under the pretense of public safety and allow 4 giant commercial gardens to come in, set their own prices and force dispensaries city wide to choose from one of these 4 gardens. Im guessing rich lee will own at least 2 of them.

If Oakland city council members are worried about public safety, they might want to consider their own safety first. Destroying the livelihoods of thousands of Oakland's most well connected people will have its consequences, especially come re-election time. If you want to open a 100,000sqft warehouse in Oakland in an attempt to monopolize the medical or recreational pot market, buy fire insurance.

If your a grower in Cali and support prop 19 read this and let me know how you feel....

California Watch
A Project of the Center for Investigative Reporting
Public Safety
Follow us

Maillists Subscribe Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Check Us out on Flickr
California WatchBlog
New ordinance in Oakland would legalize big industrial pot farms
July 13, 2010 | Michael Montgomery

Flickr photo by Neeta Lind

The city of Oakland could become home to some of the world’s largest government-licensed marijuana-growing operations, with permits to distribute products around the state, according to a draft ordinance released yesterday.

The city’s public safety committee meets tonight to consider the plan to permit four industrial-scale, “medical cannabis” cultivation facilities.

The ordinance does not limit the size of the indoor operations, but says the council has received proposals ranging from 20,000 to 100,000 square feet.

“The cultivation of medical cannabis in Oakland has not been regulated and occurs entirely in small-scale home operations or larger-scale illicit warehouses,” reads a report submitted to the committee by city council members Rebecca Kaplan and Larry Reid. “These unregulated operations have led to public safety hazards, including fires, burglaries and home invasions, health risks to patients, and related response costs to the city.”

But the plan doesn’t restrict operations to Oakland. “Responsible transfer permits” would allow registered dispensaries anywhere in the state to purchase medical marijuana from the city’s pot farms. “Sales would be subject to the recently approved sales tax on medical cannabis providing additional revenue for the city through sales taxes,” reads the report.

In addition to improving public safety, the report suggests the plan could help revive the city’s anemic finances, raising anywhere from $3 million to $38 million in permit fees and sales taxes.

Experts say licensed marijuana-growing operations of this size and purpose do not exist anywhere in the world. Even the pot-friendly Netherlands only legally permits small-scale marijuana cultivation for distribution to consumers.

“I am not aware of any indoor-growing facility of that size or one whose product is meant to be consumed,” said Jonathan Caulkins, a Carnegie Mellon professor who co-authored a recent RAND Corporation study on marijuana in California.

Dale Gieringer, who heads the California branch of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, said he could think of only a few government-sanctioned, outdoor pot farms that were larger than the indoor facilities being considered for Oakland.

“This is a very big deal,” he said.

The plan is raising a few eyebrows, even among legalization advocates like Gieringer. He said the ordinance envisions a “monopoly” for marijuana growers while also maintaining a virtual stranglehold on distribution (the plan would increase the number of legal dispensaries in Oakland from four to six).

“There are certainly more than four brands of wine and beer in Oakland and there are certainly more than four brands of cannabis,” Gieringer said.

But the supporters predict the plan would lead to lower prices and help wipe out illegal growing operations.

“Permitting larger-scale cultivation will allow for lower production costs per pound by creating economies of scale,” reads the committee report. “Lower production costs will allow regulated cultivation facilities to undercut wholesale prices of cannabis grown in unregulated operations.” Still, the report estimates dispensaries will continue to purchase at least 20 percent of their product from boutique growers who cultivate within a 96-square-foot legal limit.

Berkeley’s City Council is also considering industrial-scale marijuana cultivation and Mendocino recently passed regulations allowing outdoor pot farms to expand capacity to 99 plants per land parcel.

It’s leading some observers to wonder whether the battle for the statewide medical marijuana market – and accompanying tax dollars – is intensifying among local governments, well in advance of the vote this fall to legalize marijuana use in California.

Of course, much depends on the actions (or inactions) of the federal government. The feds still classify pot as a schedule one narcotic and DEA agents continue to raid some farms that claim to be operating within the state’s medical marijuana laws.

KQED's Forum program devoted an hour today to the Oakland ordinance.

K

kushpheen

Ok Oakland heres what you can do......PLEASE ATTEND AND VOICE YOUR OPPOSITION

Medical cannabis supporters are needed, and encouraged to attend the Oakland City Council Public Safety Committee meeting inOakland City Hall on Tuesday, July 13, at 6:00 p.m.

We do not want to antagonize the councilmembers with a lot of speeches, but we do need people to show support, with their presence, for improving two ordinances that will be under consideration: 1) a dispensary ordinance that would allow a total of only six (6) dispensaries in the city, and 2) a cultivation ordinance that would prohibit all gardens larger than 96 square feet (except for four HUGE licensed growing facilities).

Please attend and dress nicely:

WHAT: Oakland City Council Public Safety Committee

WHEN: Tuesday, July 13, 2010, 6:00 p.m.

WHERE: Oakland City Hall, Hearing Room One - 1st Floor
14th Street & Broadway, Oakland

The swing vote may be Councilwoman Patricia Kernighan. Her constituents especially (who live or work in the Grand Lake, Lakeshore, Crocker Highlands, Chinatown, Merritt, & San Antonio areas) are encouraged to contact her, at (510) 238-7002 and [email protected] This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it .

Everyone is urged to attend the meeting.
Fellow activists: Please distribute widely.

The City of Oakland will be holding a public hearing this Tuesday July 13th at 6pm to consider an ordinance that would require the supply of every Oakland dispensary to be produced in one of four giant, commercial-industrial medical cannabis grow factories. This will destroy the livelihoods of hundreds of incredibly experienced farmers who currently supply Oakland's dispensaries with high-quality, unique varieties of medical cannabis.

· This ordinance will kill hundreds of jobs

o It will focus the positive economic impacts of the medical marijuana industry in the hands of a select few, as opposed to collectives as intended by California law.

o The ordinance does not even allow patient-farmers to compete against the mass-production factories.

§ A fair ordinance would allow the needs and preferences of the patients to drive the demand for cannabis, not the city coffers, and dispensaries and patients should be allowed to choose medicine produced through both processes.

· This ordinance will make it more difficult for patients to find relief

o Cannabis comes in countless varieties, with distinguishably therapeutic effects.

o The current variety patients have in Oakland, which is the best in the state and still has trouble accommodating the variety of patient medical needs, will be dramatically reduced under the proposed ordinance.

§ The strain, the way it was grown, the amount of time it was grown, and other factors can change the therapeutic benefits of a particular cannabis plant.

§ Large-scale facilities will by necessity produce a limited number of strains, under similar conditions, nutrients, etc.

o Mass-scale production, at the exclusion of the multitude of small-scale farmers who have been the backbone of the medical cannabis industry, will mean reduced supply which will only hurt patients' ability to achieve the maximum therapeutic benefit from their cannabis use.

Please forward these talking points and the attached phone script to any activist, patient, or concerned citizen in the Bay Area. We must act fast if we want the city to hear from us!
Thank you.
Matt Potter
Phone script & Contact info for key council members

K

kushpheen

Please guys if you cant attend I strongly urge you to call one or all of these city council members, be polite.

Council Member Jean Quan

[email protected] This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it [email protected] This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >

510-238-7004

Council Member Larry Reid

[email protected] This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it [email protected] This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it >

510-238-7007

Council Member Pat Kernighan

510-238-7002

Council Member Nancy Nadel

510-238-7003

"Hello, my name is [NAME]. I'm calling to express my opposition to the proposed medical cannabis cultivation ordinance. The ordinance will create a monopoly on the farming of medical cannabis, put hundreds of farmers out of work, and ruin the variety and selection of medicine available at dispensaries. I would like the council member to reject any medical cannabis cultivation ordinance that does not allow dispensaries to purchase medicine from small-time farmers."

ScuzyRoach

ScuzyRoach

How can this be legal under any current Calif. state law? Prop 215 states very clearly how collectives may be arranged, and is also clear about them being non-profit. It also cleary gives people the right to grow and provide to said collectives. Dispensaries are tech. illegal if they cannot provide proof that they are primary caregivers to each patient. If these huge wharehouse style ops are allowed i cant see the Feds overlooking them.
Someone needs to tell Mr. Lee that "Accidents do happen". I think he is starting to ruffle some of the wrong feathers out there and i can only imagine what his future holds. Shit the Feds got Emery so lets all help them get Lee. Write the Feds and let them look into his ass. I'm sure he's got something hiding in there under that chair. FUCKING DOUCHEBAG

K

kushpheen

Your right this ordinance clearly violates sb420 which requires dispensaries to be supplied by patients. These operations though licensed by the city wouldn't be exempt from federal cultivation and distribution charges as well. Funny how these things work out, lee might get his million dollar grow warehouse, and we might get to watch the feds take it all away from him..

and btw im sure the feds file on lee is huge...

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
How can this be legal under any current Calif. state law? Prop 215 states very clearly how collectives may be arranged, and is also clear about them being non-profit. It also cleary gives people the right to grow and provide to said collectives. Dispensaries are tech. illegal if they cannot provide proof that they are primary caregivers to each patient. If these huge wharehouse style ops are allowed i cant see the Feds overlooking them.
Someone needs to tell Mr. Lee that "Accidents do happen". I think he is starting to ruffle some of the wrong feathers out there and i can only imagine what his future holds. Shit the Feds got Emery so lets all help them get Lee. Write the Feds and let them look into his ass. I'm sure he's got something hiding in there under that chair. FUCKING DOUCHEBAG
The City of Oakland has much bigger problems going on than just what they do that clearly falls outside of the law, and this is not the only instance.

Google audit Oakland CEDA, then read about how that branch of the city operates. Then Google Oakland PD, and read about how that branch of the city operates. Look up a couple of grand jury reports, and know that nothing has changed.

ScuzyRoach

ScuzyRoach

But the plan doesn’t restrict operations to Oakland. “Responsible transfer permits” would allow registered dispensaries anywhere in the state to purchase medical marijuana from the city’s pot farms. “Sales would be subject to the recently approved sales tax on medical cannabis providing additional revenue for the city through sales taxes,” reads the report.

One other thing to remember Oakland, there is such a thing as a re-sale tax law. The tax laws do not allow for things which are to be re-sold to be taxed. Therefore you cant tax the huge grow ops like your planning on because the goods will be re-sold and taxed at that time. If you think your Oaksterdam will survive after this your crazy. People will boycott like crazy.
Thank god my sister and brother n law r lawyers up in Oakland. I need to call them and pick their brains and see what kind of civil suit might be raised by normal medical patients who will have their rights violated. 1) by not letting them sell/grow like prop. 215 says and 2) by forcing them to choose/limiting their rights to form collectives of their own.

Yeah I know plenty about O-Towns corruption. Hell they got a sign right outside the Patient ID center (also a sham) that says paid parking both directions. Of course its in a yellow zone where you will get a $150 ticket. Dumb ass country folks like me dont even know what the fuck a yellow zone is (commercial loading) by the way. Last time I go to Oaklands dispensaries. Shit they will lose huge business just be chasing out the small time growers and their friends, IMO. Fuck I guess it looks like back to the streets for me. Prices will be higher and the bud will be better. The rest of the nation still needs its weed too, right?

K

kushpheen

You can listen to the live meeting online, its hilarious, the only people i hear speaking are either employees of igrow or other proponents who are seeking licenses. Its over in oakland...

everyone of igrow 30 employees have gotten up to speak.... its literally igrow vs oakland

K

kushpheen

so oaklands going to license 4 mega gardens and put thousands of small time growers out of work. best of all, you can expect proposals like this to come in front of your local city council soon. the good news is, it looks like you only need a couple million dollars to startup a 100k sqft grow warehouse, perhaps a catchy name like igrow or agrimed, a few easily persuaded city councilmen $$$ and your the next monsanto of cannabis.

M

mrdizzle

beasters is already taken, I guess you can call it oaksties? I hope the FED body slam this shit

S

Sway

California is getting fucking ridiculous...if i saw Richard lee on the street id throw a stick in his spokes and push him over.

K

kushpheen

as much as i hate these bastards, i cant wish federal intervention upon any state or local govt rights but i have a hard time imagining they would turn a blind eye.

the consumer will ultimately decide whether or not places like this are a success. well informed and educated cali cannabis consumers will hopefully reject this corporate grown swag and embrace their private local farmers. the idea of paying sales tax and the inherent lower quality associated with mass produced cannabis, will definitely support a flourishing black market.

K

kushpheen

oaklands city council treats rich lee like god, i wonder where he learned to give such good head, because you could tell there wasn't a single unsatisfied member of that council...

H

hclip

so oaklands going to license 4 mega gardens and put thousands of small time growers out of work. best of all, you can expect proposals like this to come in front of your local city council soon. the good news is, it looks like you only need a couple million dollars to startup a 100k sqft grow warehouse, perhaps a catchy name like igrow or agrimed, a few easily persuaded city councilmen $$$ and your the next monsanto of cannabis.

This exactly how it seems to be going down in Jersey. Patients can't grow there own and there will be 6 "non-profit" dispensaries were you can get your meds throughout the state. All the details haven't been revealed yet (Oct.1st is there new deadline) but knowing NJ, just to get that growing permit its going to be some big bucks and some major hoop jumping/back scratching to get it. In my eyes it will be all mob and corporate run from the get go.

The Joker

The Joker

Slips posted this:

Oakland approves massive grows; 275k per permit ... Rich Lee Wins One
The Oakland City Council isn't waiting for November to begin jumbling the legal rules. The Council's Public Safety Committee approved licensing wholesale pot growing Tuesday, 3-to-1.

KALW News reporter Ali Winston reports from that meeting that sponsors say the main reason for the proposal isn't revenue, it's safety (as their name implies): residential electrical fires more than doubled in the city in the past three years, and officials think there's a good connection between that increase and unregulated pot "grow houses."

That said, the committee proposes that applicants pay fees of over $275,000 per operation.

Approved by the committee and full City Council, four large growers would be permitted in the first year.

One grower said he embraced regulation but argued that the plan would force medium- and small-scale cultivators to close down, move, or "go back underground into the dark ages."

The ordinance doesn't yet set a limit on the size of the large cultivators

The plan also would permit Oakland's four licensed dispensaries to sell to retailers across California.

Last month rich lee purchased a 20 acre plot to build his new growing facilities ...

Top Bottom