Ob 288's, How Much Is Too Much?

• Thread starter OldManRiver
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
OldManRiver

OldManRiver

Lol, QB...

I have a 3x3 closet space i'll be starting up again soon. I have two brand new HLG dual QB 288 v2 sets I'll be using. I intend to mount them high, 30 in above the tops. RDWC hydro. UVB supplementation. I want to use two sets to get wide, even light coverage. 3000K, if it matters.

These are 260 watts each on full power. Thats 44 watts/ft^2. Is that too much? better to run them at partial power?

I'll starting the seeds on lower power.

Last edited:
cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
You can never have too much. It's more of controlling the heat for your specific setup.

MeanGreen420

MeanGreen420

Lol, QB...

I have a 3x3 closet space i'll be starting up again soon. I have two brand new HLG dual QB 288 v2 sets I'll be using. I intend to mount them high, 30 in above the tops. RDWC hydro. UVB supplementation. I want to use two sets to get wide, even light coverage. 3000K, if it matters.

These are 260 watts each on full power. Thats 44 watts/ft^2. Is that too much? better to run them at partial power?

I'll starting the seeds on lower power.
Probably run each kit at around 75 watt @18 inch on seedlings. Flowering crank them all the way up if you can keep temp down.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Temps are not an issue with quantum boards. In fact the lack of heat is more of an issue. Due to the lack of UV light the leaf temps stay low however you can absolutely burn your plants with the light intensity.

For optimal conditions you want the room temp to be 80-85 degrees to make up for the lack of UV. However watch your plants when you lower the lights above the canopy. You can easily bleach the tops if you have too much light intensity.

Im running mine at about 80% of their max wattage. I have a kill-a-watt I use to measure draw from the wall. I can turn my 260 watt rated fixture up to 275 watts. So I’m at about 200 watts right now at 12-13” above the canopy.

I was running them at 180 watts before turning them up. I’m currently at about 20-25w/sqft.

MeanGreen420

MeanGreen420

Temps are not an issue with quantum boards. In fact the lack of heat is more of an issue. Due to the lack of UV light the leaf temps stay low however you can absolutely burn your plants with the light intensity.

For optimal conditions you want the room temp to be 80-85 degrees to make up for the lack of UV. However watch your plants when you lower the lights above the canopy. You can easily bleach the tops if you have too much light intensity.

Im running mine at about 80% of their max wattage. I have a kill-a-watt I use to measure draw from the wall. I can turn my 260 watt rated fixture up to 275 watts. So I’m at about 200 watts right now at 12-13” above the canopy.

I was running them at 180 watts before turning them up. I’m currently at about 20-25w/sqft.
My temp ranges 80-85 @450 Watts out of 600 watt quantum fixture. 2 clip fans cooling fixture and one big oscillating fan for room.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
My temp ranges 80-85 @450 Watts out of 600 watt quantum fixture. 2 clip fans cooling fixture and one big oscillating fan for room.

Yeah that’s a good place to be. I’m struggling to hit 75-80 in my space.

MeanGreen420

MeanGreen420

Yeah that’s a good place to be. I’m struggling to hit 75-80 in my space.
I’m thinking add two more boards to my fixture to get more coverage and lower wattage per board. That should make it cooler and cover more area.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
I was thinking of adding another board at the 4000k spectrum to compliment the 3000k spectrum in place. Not sure I will do it tho but I wouldn’t mind it.

Top Bottom