obama commutes sentences.non violent offenders

• Thread starter larebowm
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
masshole61

masshole61

Seems kinda weird that he pardoned these men with crack cocaine convictions and not "mandate" sentencing reductions for all life sentences related to crack . Unless of course one of them is the cousin of deval patrick, governor of Massachusetts , whose in the last year of his dictatorship in mass and number 1 on the list to replace Eric Holder as attorney general . I'm sure it's just a coincidence.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Lets see we will release crack offenders but leave people rotting in jail for having marijuana?Sometimes in quantities less than an ounce?Same old smoke and mirrors.

Gamrstwin36

Gamrstwin36

Lets see we will release crack offenders but leave people rotting in jail for having marijuana?Sometimes in quantities less than an ounce?Same old smoke and mirrors.

Misdirection at it's finest. Reason why i didn't vote for Obama. .

sanvanalona

sanvanalona

I am and probably will continue to be a big supporter of the President, that said I have some beef with him in regards to the issue of pardons/commuting sentences: do more!!

President Obama has disappointed me greatly by not releasing many high profile prisoners and more importantly the many low profile prisoners sitting inside of prison for non-violent offenses. The sheer number of prisoners in the south for simple marijuana offenses, or my personal friends that are still serving time for mmj that are sitting in prison unjustifiably need to be freed. President Obama claims to be aware of the racism that is prevalent within the justice system, and I will give him props for what he has done in sentence restructuring, but he has given fewer pardons/commutes to people than any other previous president and that really needs to change before his term is over!

Gamrstwin36

Gamrstwin36

I am and probably will continue to be a big supporter of the President, that said I have some beef with him in regards to the issue of pardons/commuting sentences: do more!!

President Obama has disappointed me greatly by not releasing many high profile prisoners and more importantly the many low profile prisoners sitting inside of prison for non-violent offenses. The sheer number of prisoners in the south for simple marijuana offenses, or my personal friends that are still serving time for mmj that are sitting in prison unjustifiably need to be freed. President Obama claims to be aware of the racism that is prevalent within the justice system, and I will give him props for what he has done in sentence restructuring, but he has given fewer pardons/commutes to people than any other previous president and that really needs to change before his term is over!

I feel you. .But...a PUPPET can only move when the hand that controls it Moves....I think everyone who's in prison for nonviolent and non sexual assault should be Freed ASAP!! If their was a NATURE COURT then yeah i grow unjustly Lock me up. But this is getting RIDICULOUS! !

squiggly

squiggly

Seems kinda weird that he pardoned these men with crack cocaine convictions and not "mandate" sentencing reductions for all life sentences related to crack . Unless of course one of them is the cousin of deval patrick, governor of Massachusetts , whose in the last year of his dictatorship in mass and number 1 on the list to replace Eric Holder as attorney general . I'm sure it's just a coincidence.

Um, no. It doesn't seem weird.

Mostly because he can't do that.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Give him some time sanvana,presidents historically dont start commuting alot of sentences until they are close to not being president,maybe a token gesture around the holidays etc etc.Also dont get your hopes up about doing the right thing either,its usually about PR and political paybacks more than doing the right thing,democrat,republican or other doesnt really matter.Sadly your boy is just like all the rest who came before him:(.

Gamrstwin36

Gamrstwin36

Give him some time sanvana,presidents historically dont start commuting alot of sentences until they are close to not being president,maybe a token gesture around the holidays etc etc.Also dont get your hopes up about doing the right thing either,its usually about PR and political paybacks more than doing the right thing,democrat,republican or other doesnt really matter.Sadly your boy is just like all the rest who came before him:(.

^^^^Facts!!

squiggly

squiggly

Maybe not the same power as a king/dictator squiggs but in the case of pardons pretty damn close to it you have to admit!
http://people.howstuffworks.com/presidential-pardon1.htm
''But ultimately, when granted appropriately, there's no way to block or even review a presidential pardon.''

In the case of pardons, yes.

Literally that is like the only comparison. Suggesting the guy can just mandate sweeping changes to laws is retarded.

When it comes to law he can do two things:

1. He can alter the enforcement of laws by directing his administration to prioritize certain aspects.

2. He can alter non-central portions of certain laws and codes--almost ubiquitously these fall into one of three categories: those governing the military, those significantly affecting interstate commerce, and those significantly affecting foreign policy. If you look through not just his, but most, executive orders throughout history they will fall squarely into one of these three categories.

fractal

fractal

Never ceases to amaze that people legitimately think Obama has the same powers as a king.
Not LITERALLY, or else he would certainly be claiming prima nocte at all the gay weddings. :cigar:

But Obamacare, how do you explain that? Mofo flipped healthcare upside down and named it after himself. That is a far reaching legislation which personally effects every single American. O has powers that reach into the daily lives of every American, and he can order his minions to push a button to unleash hellfire missiles from a drone at anyone worldwide, American citizen or not. Ancient Kings never had anything close to such power.

Last edited:
squiggly

squiggly

Not LITERALLY, or else he would certainly be claiming prima nocte at all the gay weddings. :cigar:

But Obamacare, how do you explain that? Mofo flipped healthcare upside down and named it after himself. That is a far reaching legislation which personally effects every single American. O has powers that reach into the daily lives of every America, and he can order his minions to push a button to unleash hellfire missiles from a drone at anyone worldwide, American citizen or not. Ancient Kings never had anything close to such power.

Let's get a few things clear bro:

1. The idea that the ACA flipped the healthcare industry upside down is nothing but a media narrative. It flipped the insurance industry upside down, and that's something that was needed. Even if the law ends up being a terrible mistake, it will be good for the fact that it put these restrictions on insurance providers. There is no chance they will be rolled back now that people enjoy them, and that's a success.

2. He didn't name that shit after himself, as a matter of fact he didn't even author the bill. It's called the Affordable Care Act. It was his opponents who painted it Obamacare (AND sold the narrative that it "turns everything upside down") in an attempt to tie him the "failed policy" before the 2012 election. They went all in on that narrative and now they can't drop it. Let's not be silly and pretend something different is going on.

3. He didn't do this in the manner a king would do it. In fact, he didn't do it alone at all. His function was to give the final seal of approval to the bill (that's what a president does), and in some capacity to broker the deals that allowed the necessary votes to be won in congress. In other words, he used our system of legislation to pass the bill. He didn't just mandate out of nowhere that this is how shit is now.

4. As for the drone strikes, I'm in the same boat with you in terms of opposing that--but it is a congressionally given and wielded power that he enjoys. What congress giveth, congress may taketh away. Again, not very akin to a king in any sense of the term.

5. I think you're severely misrepresenting the power of kings throughout history. It may be that in the past they didn't have drone strikes--but they also didn't have the media and a relatively educated public to worry about. Genocide and murder was much more common in those times than it is today, I think any sane person would have a hard time making any kind of sensible comparison to the death toll American actions post Vietnam have taken to those pre-Vietnam (and those of other nations throughout history). Along the arc of history the world as a whole has become much less murderous and much more civilized.

sanvanalona

sanvanalona

Salutations,

What about returning Marc Emery to Canada?...

:bag:
Actually in a bit of good news our gov already acted upon this, its the Canadian government dragging their heels in getting that man home. Its absolutely disgusting in my opinion!

As for the President's limitations of powers there are many, but he needs to be doing more of the right thing in this area. President Obama above and beyond what anyone thinks is human, therefore he is fallible, but I think that he needs to be held accountable when he is fucking up like he is here.

Top Bottom