Obama Will Not Go After States Where Pot Is Legal

• Thread starter SoCoMMJ
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

SoCoMMJ

It's in the news ... today is an amazing day in the efforts to repeal prohibition!

generic+marijuana+legalize.jpg

CBS

President Barack Obama says he won't go after Washington state and Colorado for legalizing marijuana.
In a Barbara Walters interview airing Friday on ABC, Obama is asked whether he supports making pot legal. He says -- quote -- "I wouldn't go that far."
But the president won't pursue the issue in the states where voters legalized the use of marijuana in the November elections. Marijuana remains illegal under federal law.
Obama says -- quote -- "It does not make sense from a prioritization point of view" to focus on drug use in states where it is now legal.
Marijuana officially became legal in Washington state and Colorado earlier this month.

Animal Chin

Animal Chin

Supporter
It's in the news ... today is an amazing day in the efforts to repeal prohibition!

generic+marijuana+legalize.jpg
CBS

President Barack Obama says he won't go after Washington state and Colorado for legalizing marijuana.
In a Barbara Walters interview airing Friday on ABC, Obama is asked whether he supports making pot legal. He says -- quote -- "I wouldn't go that far."
But the president won't pursue the issue in the states where voters legalized the use of marijuana in the November elections. Marijuana remains illegal under federal law.
Obama says -- quote -- "It does not make sense from a prioritization point of view" to focus on drug use in states where it is now legal.
Marijuana officially became legal in Washington state and Colorado earlier this month.

He said the same thing four years ago and lied then so why would you believe him this time?

dirk d

dirk d

right...till you get a person like Melinda Hagg lol I also trust my government, my doctor and my pastor..

putembk

putembk

Everybody can think, anticipate, hate, rejoice or just not care but I would rather have Obama say it's a low priority rather than he is going to make an example out of Co/Wash. By taking this open stance I believe the next election will bring many more states into some stage of legalization.

Tripsick

Tripsick

This seems like a nice blow to the medical industry. Plus if my 35.00 was going to the Health dept and not the DOR maybe i wouldn't feel so bad about giving them money..

I think medical card holders should get a nice discount at these dispensaries. But im really thinking of opening a coffee shop with some nice amenities like a comedy club, bakery, and float tanks maybe some pool tables with a decent disc golf coarse on the property...

Should i renew and go through the hassle? Feds will not let you use a medical defense in court so now that the state is on board it seems silly to waste my money.

Finally we can careless about grow stores giving tips to cops... lol it just gets better and better.

squiggly

squiggly

I think medical card holders should get a nice discount at these dispensaries.

The shop owners and businessmen involved are going to have an exceedingly hard time making their rhetoric during the medical boom square up if they don't do something like this.

If its always been this lovey-dovey idea of "getting medicine to sick people", then it won't stop being that way once recreational avenues are opened.

My guess is that they WON'T do this, exposing themselves as the bullshitters, gougers, and profiteers that they really are.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
He said the same thing four years ago and lied then so why would you believe him this time?

Here, on the mean streets of CO, pot has flourished during the Obama presidency. He may have said one thing and done another, but here in CO weed is way better and way more available than it was 4 years ago. He's a politician, he's lying scumBag, no argument here. I don't care who was president or what they lied about, but I now have multiple sources for legit, bug/disease free Chemdog D cuts within 25 miles in almost any direction.

I don't give Obama a drop of credit for weed flourishing here in the Rockies, but under his lies, the weed scene has blown the fuck up!. Seeing as all politicians are liars, ill take it!

outwest

squiggly

squiggly

I don't give Obama a drop of credit for weed flourishing here in the Rockies, but under his lies, the weed scene has blown the fuck up!. Seeing as all politicians are liars, ill take it!

outwest

I don't think this is particularly fair.

If you had either Romney or McCain in office this WOULD NOT have happened. You can conjecture you all you like--but both of these men would've taken a hard line MJ policy and we ALL know it.

Let's not forget who the party of prohibition is and always has been.

Regardless of what Obama said/did--it's clear he did something which no one else would've done--which is limit the federal crackdown on MJ.

He didn't stop it, he didn't end it--but he SEVERELY LIMITED IT, moreso than ever before in history (EVEN IF it's not enough for YOU--it is still MORE)

Of this there can be no question.

Policy changes like this one are SLOW. I find it so incredibly short-sighted the way people have viewed this by and large. While it may be true he hasn't totally ended prohibition, or federal meddling in state MJ policy--what he has done, at the ABSOLUTE very least, is to be a placeholder for people who would've done much worse.

Would you rather he came out as a champion of pot policy for four years, so that WHEN--not if--he lost the election it could all be swiftly reversed by his replacement?

Think about what's just happened here--states have now passed recreational laws. I don't give Obama credit for this, but I certainly think his policy of basically letting states mostly handle MJ policy helped to set the stage for it.

These are the important things that NEED to happen for this movement to succeed. It's about chipping away at the armor of that federal law, bit by bit (and don't be fooled--this has a nearly impenetrable armor made up of public opinion, christian legalism, and flat out misinformation and fear--and don't forget the sheer amount of jobs that are tied up in interdiction activities, we're talking entire branches of the government here and 80% of all law enforcement). That isn't going to happen so long as patients, dispensaries, and the like are demonized. Obama's administration has gone after some people it deemed as being illegitimate, but he's totally reversed the policy of the Bush years which was demonizing and demeaning to PATIENTS.

It's ALL about swaying public opinion. As a president, you don't do that by getting out there and saying wild and crazy shit--you do it by metering your speech and by being deliberate with it. You do it by building bridges, and adjusting standpoints.

These are all the opposite of what the GOP does, it should be noted--and there is a REASON for that. It's because THEY WANT THE OPPOSITE OUTCOME.

Sure 4 years of "do what the fuck you want" would've been nice, but it wouldn't have been lawful and it WOULD have been political suicide. It also would've guaranteed the failure of the legalization movement if you ask me.

People are so focused on what has happened and what he's done--that they forget to note probably the most important things:

What HASN'T happened, and what he DIDN'T do.

What he DIDN'T do was take this:

Here, on the mean streets of CO, pot has flourished during the Obama presidency.

and decide to shit in your Cheerios about it. He CERTAINLY COULD HAVE. Do you think shit would've flourished in CO if Obama had decided he didn't want to have that happen?

Not.

A.

Fucking.

Chance.

This shit isn't going to be solved during a single-term. In the white house, right now, you have the biggest advocate for MJ policy sitting in the Oval office who has EVER sat there. That doesn't mean he's a hero for the cause, but what it does mean is that we've made progress.

People are so, fucking, childish. They expect Rome to be built in a day, it's unrealistic. This shit is going to take time and sacrifice, and it's going to be a bumpy road.

It's been much less bumpy than it would've been the last 4 years--and it will be considerably less bumpy over the next four than it could've been under Romney.

It is not a secret the way the GOP feels about MJ policy. Don't be duped into believing that Obama in the office has been anything but a win for progress.

It was, is, and will continue to be the best case scenario--even if it's not THE BEST (which is what everyone wants, immediately).

When I see people making these short-sighted statements, I just want to tell them to read a fucking book already (you know, those learny things--with the pages--tell your kids). Shit like this hasn't ever, isn't now, and won't ever happen quickly. It is a piece-wise and painstaking process.

If you honestly believe McCain or Romney would've been more conducive to this--I respectfully suggest that you've sampled too many of your wares (and that you should still probably read a book).

Beyond all of this, it's Congress' problem in the first place. They are the ONLY solution here--and as long as Obama hating moron-idiot-retard-southerners keep electing the GOP to congressional seats--we will NEVER, mark my words, NEVER see the federal policy change.

It's not in the cards for the GOP. A vote for the GOP is a vote against MJ policy progress. If you think otherwise--you are extra super special dumb.

squiggly

squiggly

I almost honestly wish Romney won--so that he could ruin EVERYTHING for you guys and you could all feel dumb as shit for bitching about Obama going after a handful of people (who just by sheer volume, probably were breaking the law--its statistics, in a large enough sample size--you're going to fuck up a few times).

I'm in a non-med state, so I could give a damn frankly. I truly wish you all had to deal with all of your dreams being dashed by the GOP--so that you might understand, once and for all, who the true enemy of MJ policy progression is.

There are mixed opinions on the left to be sure, but there is a resolute front on the right as it regards this. I hope we get a republican in next rip and he tears the whole thing down.

Let's see how bad Obama really is then.

I hope it happens, and when it does--I'll come back here and shove all of your faces in it spitefully, because you are dead wrong.

Literally any source of information can confirm this for you. Encyclopaedias, history books, the internet, you-name-it. The history is fucking crystal clear on this one, and the ideology is EVEN CLEARER.

What kills me the most is that its not like the right hides what their feelings are. They are 100% open about their opposition to these policies, yet you're all here discussing Obama as if there existed a better choice--or a mistake was made.

Anything but a GOP candidate is a win for MJ policy--and that goes for every elected office in the land, every single one.

S

SoCoMMJ

The shop owners and businessmen involved are going to have an exceedingly hard time making their rhetoric during the medical boom square up if they don't do something like this.

If its always been this lovey-dovey idea of "getting medicine to sick people", then it won't stop being that way once recreational avenues are opened.

My guess is that they WON'T do this, exposing themselves as the bullshitters, gougers, and profiteers that they really are.

Med centers won't be able to sell into the Rec market. Customers will still have to have red cards.

squiggly

squiggly

Med centers won't be able to sell into the Rec market. Customers will still have to have red cards.

That's honestly ideal.

I think that the two will just muddle each other. If they merge, and one comes under attack--both will. Best to separate them.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
....I LOVE HOW MELLOW I FEEL INSIDE ALL THE SUDDEN.......its feels a lot different using my creditcard to buy some bat shit............

Merry cHRISTMAS TO ALL YALL lovers n Haters from us down this way doing it right........

This one's for you. Here's to bat shit. Sing it Lionel. . .

outwest

Melizzard

Melizzard

How could Romney or McCain do away with a part of our Constitution? I thought that by amending our Constitution, that could never be taken away from us. What am I missing here?

xxoo
Melissa

I don't think this is particularly fair.

If you had either Romney or McCain in office this WOULD NOT have happened. You can conjecture you all you like--but both of these men would've taken a hard line MJ policy and we ALL know it.

Let's not forget who the party of prohibition is and always has been.

Regardless of what Obama said/did--it's clear he did something which no one else would've done--which is limit the federal crackdown on MJ.

He didn't stop it, he didn't end it--but he SEVERELY LIMITED IT, moreso than ever before in history (EVEN IF it's not enough for YOU--it is still MORE)

Of this there can be no question.

Policy changes like this one are SLOW. I find it so incredibly short-sighted the way people have viewed this by and large. While it may be true he hasn't totally ended prohibition, or federal meddling in state MJ policy--what he has done, at the ABSOLUTE very least, is to be a placeholder for people who would've done much worse.

Would you rather he came out as a champion of pot policy for four years, so that WHEN--not if--he lost the election it could all be swiftly reversed by his replacement?

Think about what's just happened here--states have now passed recreational laws. I don't give Obama credit for this, but I certainly think his policy of basically letting states mostly handle MJ policy helped to set the stage for it.

These are the important things that NEED to happen for this movement to succeed. It's about chipping away at the armor of that federal law, bit by bit (and don't be fooled--this has a nearly impenetrable armor made up of public opinion, christian legalism, and flat out misinformation and fear--and don't forget the sheer amount of jobs that are tied up in interdiction activities, we're talking entire branches of the government here and 80% of all law enforcement). That isn't going to happen so long as patients, dispensaries, and the like are demonized. Obama's administration has gone after some people it deemed as being illegitimate, but he's totally reversed the policy of the Bush years which was demonizing and demeaning to PATIENTS.

It's ALL about swaying public opinion. As a president, you don't do that by getting out there and saying wild and crazy shit--you do it by metering your speech and by being deliberate with it. You do it by building bridges, and adjusting standpoints.

These are all the opposite of what the GOP does, it should be noted--and there is a REASON for that. It's because THEY WANT THE OPPOSITE OUTCOME.

Sure 4 years of "do what the fuck you want" would've been nice, but it wouldn't have been lawful and it WOULD have been political suicide. It also would've guaranteed the failure of the legalization movement if you ask me.

People are so focused on what has happened and what he's done--that they forget to note probably the most important things:

What HASN'T happened, and what he DIDN'T do.

What he DIDN'T do was take this:

and decide to shit in your Cheerios about it. He CERTAINLY COULD HAVE. Do you think shit would've flourished in CO if Obama had decided he didn't want to have that happen?

Not.

A.

Fucking.

Chance.

This shit isn't going to be solved during a single-term. In the white house, right now, you have the biggest advocate for MJ policy sitting in the Oval office who has EVER sat there. That doesn't mean he's a hero for the cause, but what it does mean is that we've made progress.

People are so, fucking, childish. They expect Rome to be built in a day, it's unrealistic. This shit is going to take time and sacrifice, and it's going to be a bumpy road.

It's been much less bumpy than it would've been the last 4 years--and it will be considerably less bumpy over the next four than it could've been under Romney.

It is not a secret the way the GOP feels about MJ policy. Don't be duped into believing that Obama in the office has been anything but a win for progress.

It was, is, and will continue to be the best case scenario--even if it's not THE BEST (which is what everyone wants, immediately).

When I see people making these short-sighted statements, I just want to tell them to read a fucking book already (you know, those learny things--with the pages--tell your kids). Shit like this hasn't ever, isn't now, and won't ever happen quickly. It is a piece-wise and painstaking process.

If you honestly believe McCain or Romney would've been more conducive to this--I respectfully suggest that you've sampled too many of your wares (and that you should still probably read a book).

Beyond all of this, it's Congress' problem in the first place. They are the ONLY solution here--and as long as Obama hating moron-idiot-retard-southerners keep electing the GOP to congressional seats--we will NEVER, mark my words, NEVER see the federal policy change.

It's not in the cards for the GOP. A vote for the GOP is a vote against MJ policy progress. If you think otherwise--you are extra super special dumb.

squiggly

squiggly

How could Romney or McCain do away with a part of our Constitution? I thought that by amending our Constitution, that could never be taken away from us. What am I missing here?

Well, forgetting that I didn't say anything about either of them taking anything away--an Amendment can be cancelled out by a later amendment.

A perfect example of this is when the amendment prohibiting alcohol was overturned. Amendments are permanent (i.e. the alcohol prohibition amendment is still on the books)--but they can be counteracted by subsequent amendments. It works the same on the state level I believe (I don't know about all 50 states obviously).

What I was suggesting is that who the president is, has a two fold "effect".

1. The president is going to be determined by and large by popular opinion--this in itself serves as a marker for what other types of legislation might pass (including amendments).

2. The president has an extremely potent (even if you don't see it) ability to steer public opinion. This doesn't always go the way they hope and isn't as easy as a math equation per se--but it is an appreciable and significant effect.

If memory serves, this wasn't the first time states tried to legalize--but it WAS the first time it passed. As I said I don't give the president credit for this--but the political atmosphere of the previous 4 years DOES play a role here. If the pres wanted to run a smear campaign and crackdown on the MJ boom, he could've done that. It's not a certainty that you wouldn't have still passed the amendment, but you would've had a more difficult time doing it. Like I said this isn't an equation--but these are some of the nuances that people don't give thought to, and they matter.

Just imagine if 4 years ago Obama came out and said marijuana sales and "masquerading as patients" were a plague on this country and must be stopped. What if he said he was directing his administration to direct the most unprecedented crackdown on MJ ever seen?

He COULD have done those things, and he didn't. That MATTERS. This is often lost in the political conversation. What a politicians doesn't do is equally important to what he does (in both good and bad ways).

He COULD also be doing MORE--but simply allowing the boom to happen as it has (even if under duress) is something totally unprecedented.

If you think the scene hasn't exploded over the past four years--then I'd like to politely suggest that you aren't on the scene.

Obama has had EVERY opportunity to crush this boom, and has chosen not to. That is a potent and important choice by him. What he's done is to save face with the anti-drug lobby, while still allowing the scene to make the biggest steps forward that it EVER HAS. It's IMPORTANT to remember that in terms of full legalization--people in support are still in the minority. You don't fix that, as a politician, by pushing for sweeping changes--that gets you ousted. You do it in baby steps. It sucks, but it happens to be the truth.

Like I said, people want a magic wand to be waved--it's childish. That isn't the way the world works. The scene is bigger and more powerful now than it ever has been. If you think the president doesn't have ANYTHING to do with that, by proxy, then you shouldn't be talking politics--because you have no familiarity with them.

During the political debate this election season, the GOP presidential candidate FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER--took the position that they would leave your pot alone.

I believe they were lying, but irregardless it is fucking important as hell that this happened. You must understand that from a political standpoint, this happened because it was known by the GOP that this had become a hot button issue--and that the president was currently on the winning side of it.

That's called political pressure--and it came squarely from Obama. If he'd simply taken the same position they always have (pot is bad without qualification)--there would've been no such pressure on them, and pot wouldn't have even been mentioned ONCE during election season.

People are about results, and not necessarily actions or words.

In politics, that is a SELF-GUARANTEE for your fair share of heartache, disappointment, and regret. Results take TIME in politics, at least in America.

I DO think that's broken--but its a broken part of our SYSTEM, not something that's broken about either party in particular. The two-party system is limping alone, but each party individually is doing just fine.

This is a failure of the PEOPLE, not of Obama.

We get the government we vote for, and they care about the things we tell them to (if we insist on it). So long as those things are ideological, rather than results based (and they are currently)--we will continue to see a politics of idealism rather than a politics of results.

Are you really saying that it surprises you that you didn't get everything you wanted out of a politician?

I call this childish, because its a 5 year old's understanding of what's at play and how our system of government is set up. It's slow moving because we haven't demanded that it be fast--not because Obama doesn't like weed.

squiggly

squiggly

Haha politics...gayest shit ever
Hahahaahaha.

Yes, exactly.

The thing is that people take something which is so wonky and ridiculous--and then they judge it by normal standards of reality.

Unfortunately with politics, the glove doesn't fit. So even when you sound reasonable--you probably sound stupid if you haven't clued yourself in to how ridiculous politics are.

Latest posts

Top Bottom