Obtaining TIGHT buds

• Thread starter BUDA
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

BUDA

Hello everyone,

I am a 1st time grower that has harvested my 4 plants.

2 Big Bang

2 ??? Strains

My buds are fluffy not tight as I have seen around. I smoke is great but how do I obtain the tight buds?

G

GroHi

There's a lot that goes into that!

It could be genetics but more likely heat & lighting issues. High heat makes them fluffy vs tight. Low light makes them stretch & elongate vs dense. Also, overly high nute levels or build-up in the medium will make them teeny tiny/undeveloped/stunted.

These are the likely suspects. Peace.

R

Rolln J

thats a very generic question as you gave no info about your grow...

B

BUDA

Sorry rollin j

I started 6 seeds uder cfl's and then I was given a 400 watt MH light. I vegged for 2 1/2 months and then when to 12 and 12 or 8 and 9 weeks. I was using root juice, bio grow, bio bloom and thrive alive.
In my drying room I hung the planets upside down fo 12 to 14 days and then from there I placed the buds in glass jars and have been burping them every 12 hours.
The temp in the drying room was a steady 63-65 degrees and I had a steady humidity of 44%.

I AM planning on buying a 400 watt HPS lamp b4 my next grow.

R

Rolln J

lol no worries!

maybe you vegged em too long - did they get real tall? if they do that you need to trim up a LOT underneath as the branches wont get much light and will take energy away from the tops, especially under a 400 watt light - if your gonna buy something new try a 600 or even a 1k if your grow ares is at least 4x4...

lots of factors for tight buds: genetics, amount of light per square foot (60 watts minimum) feeding (under and or over) humidity, air flow, soil etc.

C

CannabisSativa

if you want tight rock hard buds grow a indica like bubba kush, urkle and gdp both make tight buds, so does schrom.
I assume you just need to switch strains If you really want to go past that and go into super rock hard buds that need a hammer to break up just use some gravity also,lol.

And try to stick around 50-66 wpsf...

L

Lost

My durban poison makes rock hard nuggies if I give it nuff phos.....

Also snow storm + gravity = :)

R

Rolln J

My durban poison makes rock hard nuggies if I give it nuff phos.....

Also snow storm + gravity = :)

did I mention Durban is my favorite strain ever!

what beans/cuts do you use?

B

BUDA

Yea that got about 5 feet tall growing out of 5 gal buckets. A 600 watter HPS? Ok I also see one at the place i am buying my supplies from. I clipped the bottom and made them look kinda lke palm trees? My friend said that next go round I need to trim them and make them bush like. Yes? Or was that some myth that he is talking about?

BTW I am out of my mystery strain:( and all I have now is the Big Bang which is some really :animbong:.

P

purpleblockhead

theres a few ways 2 get tight buds first is genetics, than its how you grow, you got 2 find the right height for your strain than get a lot of light 2 them, i use air cooled lights and keep them around 6 inchs away i also give them a molasses mix on week3 week 4 week5 week 6 it helps 2 get them denser, the closer your light is the denser your tree is, also the more healthy your plants are the denser it is when done

ISeemToBeAVerb

ISeemToBeAVerb

One more possibility is the MH light. MH is better for vegging than flower. Sounds like you got that covered for your next grow though.

707style

If you are going to use the 400w or 600w i would take your friends advise and grow some smaller bushier plants. With a 400w i would veg until they are about 6 inches tall, and with a 600w i would let them veg until they are 6-8 inches. They will about double in size once they are switched to flower. With a lower wattage light like a 400w you don't get enough light penetration through all the leafs.

M

monkey5

Premium Member
Supporter
Buda, take a look at what we did with 2 400 watt Mh bulbs on these plants ! Here is the link: ... we put 1 foot pieces of 2 X4 's cut under the 5 gal. buckets on one side so the buckets tilted to one side and caused the buds(and plants), to fatten up like crazy ... without cutting or topping our plants at all !! Trust me they were FAT !! Hope this helps you out , bro !! The Humboldt Select's are 50/50 sativa/indica !!! monkey5

M

monkey5

Premium Member
Supporter
Buda, we also had indica plants we grew , same grow... same tilt to the 5 ga. buckets they were in too ! They fattened the same !! Even Fatter ! Smell was incedibule to say the least !! Sweet !!! Candy !!! monkey5

S

supasticky

High phosphorus and good lighting. The phosphorus is the important part. If youre going to veg for 2 1/2 months again why dont you try leaving on those bottom branches and about a week before flowering, cut them off and make clones out of them? It's a fun experiment if you've never done it before. If you dont want to veg for that long again I would recommend 1 month veg and still cut off the bottom branches, it promotes flower development if done at the right time and promotes outward growth. Your plants will go threw a rigorous growth period the first week or two of flowering.

-Supa

A

Architect

I've got about 66 watts per square foot right now, which did help my buds get tighter and harder, but I wonder how much drying technique has to do with it. Most of the hard nugs I've seen were hang-dried, and I dry flat on screens. Has anyone done a side by side to see if there is a difference in finished product?

R

Rolln J

I use a screen and some of my nugs you have to hit with a hammer to break up.

supasticky is on to something in the post above!

S

supasticky

I hang dry only because I feel that the screens break trichomes and kind of makes part of the bud flat, that's just my opinion though. Hang drying in most cases is more convenient because you can hang right in the grow room, but if you're trying to hide it..drying on screens in a dresser or something would also be good, as long as in both instances your space to bud ratio is good. Meaning that you don't want a ridiculous amount of space for only a little bud, and you don't want so small of a space that it will get really moist and get mold on your buds. Remember, dark and ventilated. I hang mine inside cardboard boxes unless there is too much, but the cardboard works very well to keep the water out of the air.

All you need is:

Cardboard boxes
Rope( I use shoe strings)
Clothes hangers
A fan or two

Cut two 3"x3"(just an estimate just not too big or too small) holes on both sides of each box. Hang two shoe strings tightly(make a small hole on the sides or the boxes, pull string through and tie large knot) in the boxes and proceed to hang branches off with the clothes hangers or by a side branch to the shoe strings until they pull the string down a little bit. Point the fan towards one of the 3"x3" holes and don't have the other hole blocked and it should keep the boxes pretty well ventilated. You can stack the boxes on top of each other.

And that's it. Leave them there for about a week and a half(checking them regularly) and then into the jars they go.

Top Bottom