Ocean Forest 2nd opinion

• Thread starter r3deyejedi
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
r3deyejedi

r3deyejedi

What up farmers! So I went to my local grow shop today, which was handsomely stocked might I add, and asked one of the guys there what he recommended for an organic mix. He didn't hesitate to point me to the fox farm ocean forest. the included amendments and overall mix look appealing, but I've seen some not-so flattering reviews of fox farm regarding their quality control in some threads here.

what's the word on fox farm and are there any better options out there for a good value

Shalom, R3

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Happy Frog is good sometimes better for me but i been trying to build soil and recycling.....
If your down to recycle try complete organic regime and recycle medium....
Fox Farm uses huge augers to mix and distribute dirts so my experience with machinery similar tells me that huge chunks get compressed at ends and they could get hott if concentrates build up there and out of know where the chunk pops off hot and gets bagged up sometimes before mixed propperly.....

Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

i wouldnt use ocean forest as a stand alone soil. i usually mix it with other soils at a 1/4 ratio. not only does it run a lil heavy but the soil consistancy isnt too pleasant. i dont like how water logged it can get. if you want a good organic soil, i would recommend Roots Organics original potting soil or Roots Organics 707 mix. Happy frog is good also. i know people that have great success using ocean forest with happy frog at a 50/50 mix.

Kahn Seanery

Kahn Seanery

I've used it for years man ... Never had a problem .. I'm not saying its da best but I wouldn't use anything else.. Guess you just gotta get a feel for it... Only thing is its chunky.... Good to break it down as u add it

Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

no problem, caveman is a good dude, he deff knows his shit too. as far as rocks go, i dont think it will be necessary. it wont make or break your grow, probably wont see much of a difference. i know that people use rocks at the bottom of bucket pots (no holes on bottom) which creates a small res of water at the base. kind of like a hempy does. but this is for either heat purposes or lack of time to tend to your plants, for that small amount of water will get used up if your medium starts running dry. Z

r3deyejedi

r3deyejedi

Thanks for the help ya'll. I'm leaning towards organics for my first grow cause hydro doesn't seem too newb-friendly. Is there a practical way to compost with apartment limitations?

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

i would brew teas instead use stuff that doesnt smell but ive seen advertised apt composters that have a tray at bottom for juices dont see how it wouldnt stink or release spores into the air?

r3deyejedi

r3deyejedi

i love the concept of teas but know jack shit about it. are there any good threads on the topic?

Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

U betchya, im not at my comp so i cant copy n paste links at the moment. Not complicated at all. Imo if ur new at growing keep it simple. Understanding the plant is most important

Ohiofarmer

Ohiofarmer

FFOF,black gold, light warrior, roots 707, and just right........supplement perlite in all and vermiculight/coco in heavy drinkers/ hot room etc. .....also like black gold soil conditioner and castings, their both similiar to happy frogs lines.....can't stress how much i love earthworm castings; as for whether or not to use FFOF i would say yes but with other products....take it easy hope this helped

Warrioreuel

Warrioreuel

I am using Fox Farm Ocean Forest right now straight from the bag. I am happy as can be. Harvesting this weekend. Transplanted one at 4 weeks from a 2 gallon into 5 gallon pot (just for a test) and let me tell you, the 2 gallon pot was a solid mass of roots, it needed a bigger pot from the start, oh well. At one point I thought the dirt was a little to heavy and maybe not draining well enough. I potted a few more with lots of Pearlite mixed in. Honestly I saw no difference, just more work to mix in a secondary ingredient that was not needed. I go through about 12 bags per grow and throw out the old and get new each time. I am quite happy with it.

vaporedout

vaporedout

i used happy frog and ocean forrest for many grows, i would start them on happy frog then once i uppotted to 5gal buckets i would finish them with ocean forrest. i did notice on some of my plants that didnt use a lot of nutes, that it was a bit to strong for them, i now use (and many thc farmers use it as well) a soil from home depot/lowes, its kelloggs organic patio plus, chalked full of good stuff and it doesnt seem to burn my plants. plus when i yahoo image searched for it, i got granola bar boxes and weed tree pics, so we arent the only ones. plus, if your a low income grower (like myself) it comes at a hefty price tag of 4.99 per 1.5 cu. ft.

defective

defective

I Love Love FFOF...never ever will I use patio plus again...straight wood chips.

Top Bottom