Ocean Water and Trace Minerals

• Thread starter SparcOne
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SparcOne

SparcOne

For some time now I've been using clean ocean water once or twice a month diluted in my water when feeding, the reason being there are 90 or more trace minerals in sea water and basically in layman's terms all life originally comes or came from the ocean.

I normally use a ratio of about 20 ml of ocean water to 4 ltrs of fresh water but yesterday I read an article from 2006 about the use of diluted ocean water not only for the soil but also as a foiler and at a ratio of as much as 100 ml to 4 ltrs.

Do any of you fellow growers utilise the benefits of ocean water? And if you do how often and at what ratio?

A little definetly goes a long way so please use very sparingly and start of light if your new to this ✌

SparcOne

SparcOne

How do you determine your ocean water is clean?

Make sure you collect it far from river mouths and where any shipping or fishing vessels pass through.. deeper the better but if your in doubt don't collect better off blending organic sea salts your self ✌

SparcOne

SparcOne

I collect from inside the national parks here which are protected so not even small fishing boats are aloud, no need to take much 1 gallon goes a long way

TheBioMaster

TheBioMaster

The pathogens or risk of contamination in that water could be problematic.....a much safer bet is store bought salts which are extremely cheap, and will give you better results....i.e. Epson and mineral salts

You would need to go a minimum of 100 feet deep to collect.....and even then you want to treat the water for pathogens and check for other known toxins.

SparcOne

SparcOne

If I was still growing commercial I definitely wouldn't be taking the chance but on my outdoor micro grows I haven't had any issues and been using the method for over a year but I understand where your coming from. Although I see the risk factor being very low because of where I live but for example off the coast of LA or NY forget about it. Costa Rica protects it's national parks militantly so I trust my water source. Plus brought salts may be safer but they don't compare to the microbial activity in Ocean Water.

TheBioMaster

TheBioMaster

If I was still growing commercial I definitely wouldn't be taking the chance but on my outdoor micro grows I haven't had any issues and been using the method for over a year but I understand where your coming from. Although I see the risk factor being very low because of where I live but for example off the coast of LA or NY forget about it. Costa Rica protects it's national parks militantly so I trust my water source. Plus brought salts may be safer but they don't compare to the microbial activity in Ocean Water.

Just a couple of thoughts and I'll leave you to it.....first the microbiological makeup of ocean water is mostly the wrong type of bio!ogy......if you want the right biology then brew a tea......the species they use in say the product great white for example is a very select set of biology.

how will you separate the pathogens from the good bacteria??

I've lived all of my adult life on the beach.....been there, done that, Epson salt will give you better results. You should really care about what goes into your plants and then into your body.....Your argument is that it must be ok since you or your plants haven't gotten sick yet??? Emphasis on "yet" ....just saying....ocean water isn't what it use to be and all bodies of water are connected....national park s have nothing to do with jet streams and currents.

The good things is not the biology in ocean water.....it's what the biology created like complex protein chains, amino acids.....etc.

The most popular thing to come from the ocean is your seaweed extracts.....that's where the magic is...

SparcOne

SparcOne

No worries all valid points but getting sick is a long shot, and 20ml per gallon is way under recommended ratios so it's really not a major component of my feed.
I live in the jungle in Costa Rica so it's all DIY, no Amazon delivery of Epson salts. Most of my food is already amended in the soil and every 2 weeks I hit the plants and soil with an aerated worm castings tea with organic kelp extract and I melt down organic sugar cane(tapa dulce) for my sugars which they love.

The Korean natural farming techniques would argue against what your saying but I'm sure you have it dialed in 👌More looking to delve into a conversation of ocean water and it's benifits people have exowriejced, cheers✌

TheBioMaster

TheBioMaster

Hey I forgot to mention one thing I did notice exceptional results with using ocean water.....right after my back surgery I was stuck at home healing up.....got bored, decided to walk to the beach and collect water.....this was up near Cape Cod.

I met a guy that collected the ocean water and then let it evaporate, collecting the salts left behind. You basically keep doing this in the same container until ample amounts of salts are collected. The next step involved washing the salt with distilled water. After that the salts were pulverized into a fine powder, then the powder dissolved in RO and fed to the plants.

If ya get bored one day try it out.....takes a bit of effort but you end up with a powder that is super concentrated and will go a long long way.

cloudyhelads

cloudyhelads

Since seeing the. Chris Trump videos in which he uses ocean water, I have been fascinated by this (for mineralization not microbiology). I’ve never done it though. I don’t believe pathogens would be a problem. Though the ocean is full of microbiology I think it would all just die immediately in the soil environment. You could certainly boil kill the life and keep the minerals.

Top Bottom