Odd bud development or lack of bud development

• Thread starter EastBay420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
E

EastBay420

Curious if anyone has seen this type of issue on any plants. About 75 days into the grow, GG auto outdoor in a greenhouse. Did have some pretty high temps for about a week but that’s now under control now

Odd bud development or lack of bud development
Odd bud development or lack of bud development 2
Odd bud development or lack of bud development 3
Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
The heat will have had a effect however tbh by the looks of it your growing a sativa dom. auto or not sativa dom plants can be very whispy the buds fluffy and the plants tall that’s all Normal for a sativa it’s very rare a sativa will have rock hard nugs unless it’s a hybrid.

All in all your looking at a long flowering period and as said the buds will be flufffy however you should get a nice head high from her that’s what sativas are known for 👍

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
It kind of looks like the flowering/dark cycle was interrupted. Sure, sativas can have lighter, whispy bud formation, but a GG auto? It almost looks more like some of the pure Sativa landrace varieties

Last edited:
E

EastBay420

The heat will have had a effect however tbh by the looks of it your growing a sativa dom. auto or not sativa dom plants can be very whispy the buds fluffy and the plants tall that’s all Normal for a sativa it’s very rare a sativa will have rock hard nugs unless it’s a hybrid.

All in all your looking at a long flowering period and as said the buds will be flufffy however you should get a nice head high from her that’s what sativas are known for 👍

Thanks for the info! I was expecting a much different look out of it at this stage being that it’s supposed to be a GG, but this is my first time growing any good quality seeds, so inexperience on my end is a possible issue as well lol

E

EastBay420

It kind of looks like the flowering/dark cycle was interrupted. Sure, sativas can have lighter, whispy bud formation, but a GG auto? It almost looks more like some of the pure Sativa landrace varieties
Just looked it up and yeah it does look much more like a pure sativa, I got other seeds from the same place of a different strain that are looking way better than this plant at the same stage

Trash_2002

Trash_2002

Thanks for the info! I was expecting a much different look out of it at this stage being that it’s supposed to be a GG, but this is my first time growing any good quality seeds, so inexperience on my end is a possible issue as well lol
Wasn't your inexperience, it's the genetics, you got a odd phenotype, probably this seeds weren't properly stabilized.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Just looked it up and yeah it does look much more like a pure sativa, I got other seeds from the same place of a different strain that are looking way better than this plant at the same stage
Yes but that's assuming this isn't a GG auto.......could a mistake have been made? Possibly. But unless the seed company gave you a thai landrace or something by mistake......

It could be a pure sativa, and your greenhouse is preventing good sun from getting through, but that's really not what greenhouses do. Unless you're in a very low sun climate, like trying to grow Panama Red in Northern Canada.

The super light flowers, the high leaf-to-calyx ratio......is it possible that some sort of artificial light outside is hitting your greenhouse at night? Street lights, your own flood lights, anything? I'm still leaning towards light pollution throwing the plant into that veg/flower twilight zone.

E

EastBay420

Yes but that's assuming this isn't a GG auto.......could a mistake have been made? Possibly. But unless the seed company gave you a thai landrace or something by mistake......

It could be a pure sativa, and your greenhouse is preventing good sun from getting through, but that's really not what greenhouses do. Unless you're in a very low sun climate, like trying to grow Panama Red in Northern Canada.

The super light flowers, the high leaf-to-calyx ratio......is it possible that some sort of artificial light outside is hitting your greenhouse at night? Street lights, your own flood lights, anything? I'm still leaning towards light pollution throwing the plant into that veg/flower twilight zone.
there is no exterior lighting at night, it has been pretty overcast in the morning the past couple weeks so possibly low light due to that in the early to late morning hours could be causing some issues. It was running way too hot for about 2 weeks like 15-20 degrees hotter than I wanted but I have gotten that under control now

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
It just doesn't account for how light, how whispy the branches/buds are. Can we ask where you got the seed from? Any other plants in the greenhouse? Have you grown in it before?

Also, what's the height of the plant and the size of the pot?

There are a number of possible answers, but none of them would really account for the severity of the problem. Really bad genetics? Extremely root bound? Some other kind of extreme stress/deficiency?

Maybe someone with greenhouse experience could help here. It's certainly interesting. You have a nice sized, fully formed plant, and the problem is a whole plant problem.

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
honestly I still think it’s a sativa dom probably a pheno that leans more towards the sativa side.
Looks exactly like I would expect one in a greenhouse or outside would look.
It’s simply genetics no more no less.

All the best enjoy the adventure

HerbalEdu

HerbalEdu

could be a pheno that more or less have the "dr grinspoon" strain trait, happen once in while.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
could be a pheno that more or less have the "dr grinspoon" strain trait, happen once in while.
Yeah that's a funny strain too. I tend to agree that it's bad genetics.......but, that's on the "as a plant" side of things. There might be a saving grace here and that's in the uniqueness, phenos, and high....

Besides wondering where Eastbay got the seed from, what do you make of the smell? Does it remind you of Gorilla Glue? Is it sour, sweet, piney.....? I would definitely let it really ripen, maybe even longer than you think is too long. Let the flowers really mature. You might have something unique. It won't yield a half pound, but what you do get could be very interesting. It will need to be trimmed/manicured, and that will take time. It should also be well cured, preferably for a month or more. Be really patient with it. If you end up with some sort of sweet, unique, sativa with a clear high and distinct, even unusual smell, you could end up with a real gem of a bag of weed.

E

EastBay420

It just doesn't account for how light, how whispy the branches/buds are. Can we ask where you got the seed from? Any other plants in the greenhouse? Have you grown in it before?

Also, what's the height of the plant and the size of the pot?

There are a number of possible answers, but none of them would really account for the severity of the problem. Really bad genetics? Extremely root bound? Some other kind of extreme stress/deficiency?

Maybe someone with greenhouse experience could help here. It's certainly interesting. You have a nice sized, fully formed plant, and the problem is a whole plant problem.
Seeds from ILGM, have never grown these strains before, this is only my second season growing and last season was with bad seeds so went and bought these to try out. I also have 2 Bruce banner auto’s in there now that look really healthy and 2 GSC that just sprouted and will be going in soon. Plant is at 42” she had an insane stretch was going about an inch a day for almost 2 weeks. I think they are in 7 gallon pots

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Seeds from ILGM, have never grown these strains before, this is only my second season growing and last season was with bad seeds so went and bought these to try out. I also have 2 Bruce banner auto’s in there now that look really healthy and 2 GSC that just sprouted and will be going in soon. Plant is at 42” she had an insane stretch was going about an inch a day for almost 2 weeks. I think they are in 7 gallon pots
A nearly 4ft tall.plant in a 7gal pot could be a little root bound.......still, it's hard to find anything that accounts for such sparse flowers other than either llight pollution at night, (more of an issue with photoperiod plants, not autos), or bad genetics. At least see it through to the end and make the best of it.

If you are going to grow large-ish plants over many months, see if you can get larger pots that gives them some more root space, and a really nice, rich soil mix.

I hope you at least get a unique final product from this plant that you'll really enjoy.

F.Dupp

F.Dupp

If it were a photoperiod plant, I would say the problem is light leaks. But I'm not very familiar with autos, so I'm not sure light leaks would affect an auto in the same manner as a regular plant. I would watch that plant extra close for herm tendencies

StonedAgain

StonedAgain

That's pretty tall for an auto, I'd say a seed mixup is a possibility and it's a strong Sativa photo... iglm has mixed reviews as far as quality I think.

7munkee

7munkee

I exclusively used seeds from Nirvanashop for 15 years and never had an issue. But for the last few years I have been buying from US based seed banks and the quality is hit or miss.

I have a better success ratio with my 10–15-year-old seeds than I do with some of my more recent buys.

E

EastBay420

Minor update. She has more smaller looking buds beginning to develop all over the place. Most of this new growth was non existent 2 days ago

IMG 2063
Top Bottom