Official definition of "Nanners"?

• Thread starter Jimster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
While I dislke the term "Nanners", which is something I associate with sippy cups and diapers, I'd like to know what is everyone's definition of what these are and how they differ from regular male flowers. It's almost like a demonic possession when folks encounter these, but I have only heard about them in very late flowering, way past the pont where they could cause any issues. So... What is YOUR definition and explanation of what these cute little fellows are?
Nanners in my cereal doesn't count! Taters n dippy eggs... maybe! :)

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

While I dislke the term "Nanners", which is something I associate with sippy cups and diapers, I'd like to know what is everyone's definition of what these are and how they differ from regular male flowers. It's almost like a demonic possession when folks encounter these, but I have only heard about them in very late flowering, way past the pont where they could cause any issues. So... What is YOUR definition and explanation of what these cute little fellows are?

Pretty sure they are actually called stamen. The stamen are the pollen holding part inside a male flower and they look like a bunch of bananas. “Nanners” are simply stress caused single stamen designed to self polinate the plant to continue procreation.

I wrote this without checking any sources so if i am incorrect someone please correct this info.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Pretty sure they are actually called stamen. The stamen are the pollen holding part inside a male flower and they look like a bunch of bananas. “Nanners” are simply stress caused single stamen designed to self polinate the plant to continue procreation.

I wrote this without checking any sources so if i am incorrect someone please correct this info.
So the difference between a nanner is simply the number of male flowers as opposed to a different beast? 3 flowers, but only 1 nanner? Or is a difference in physiology of the male flower? From a plant's point of view, which I haven't heard much about since changing medications, wouldn't a regular male flower produce as much/more than a single nanner?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

So the difference between a nanner is simply the number of male flowers as opposed to a different beast? 3 flowers, but only 1 nanner? Or is a difference in physiology of the male flower? From a plant's point of view, which I haven't heard much about since changing medications, wouldn't a regular male flower produce as much/more than a single nanner?

Wow. I didnt mean to be so confusing. Sorry.

Inside each male flower. Which starts as a “ball” and later opens up its petals. In the center of the petals or still hidden in the ball is the bunch of “nanners” or stamen. Many flowers have visible stamen that hold pollen. Think of sunflowers. Tons of stamen in the middle of the flower petals.

A single nanner can grow from a plant reversal. Usually on an upper bud to drop pollen on a lower bud.

Or they can grow in bunches. If you see balls. Look inside one. Bunch of nanners in there.

Also nanners dont open. They are already able to pollinate if they have viable pollen by the time we see them. But balls will open up into flowers and the stamen inside release pollen.

I hope this made more sense.

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

I've only seen pictures. Pretty sure I had a few through the years finding seeds from time to time. I had a hermie 2 yrs ago. Strangest thing I ever saw. Full blown flowers and full of balls. First time growing this seed with a lot of sativa and outside in the ground. The cross was made indoors under light so I believe that was the cause as no others have happened. Unless I've allowed pollination I've had no issues with this line. Thought I had another this spring. Turned out I just needed to wear my reading glasses so I can see. Sucks getting old.

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

How much did you smoke before starting this thread?😉

I smoked a few bowls as you can see by my last response going off on a tangent.🤣

Let's see how others have defined "nanners."

Bananas (“Nanners”)
Another common type of mixed-sex buds is the type that produces “bananas” (sometimes called “nanners”) which grow from the middle of female buds.

I book marked that for latter.

Gotta check the urban dictionary:
TOP DEFINITION
'nanner
"'nanner" is a slang for banana.
Can you go to the shop and get me some 'nanners?
by Serminigo May 25, 2006

Okay, sorry but I'm pretty much toast at this point. Willie's Sour Diesel is working it's magic.

YouTube is always helpful

I warned ya I'm pretty toasted but I had to share that!

Weird how there's not much on the subject. I think that first definition was pretty good from growweedeasy.

We do see a lot of it happening here and it seems to be due to stress, but a particular type of stress unless the scrog farmers here are seeing it.

Nature has ways of improving odds of survival for many plants and animals and this is just one example.

I may get the itch to experiment with the idea in the future to see if I can produce it and what types of stress cause this oddity. I never thought I'd actually want to cause my plants stress. Could prove interesting but I doubt I'd be any closer to a definition of nanners.

We really should hold an annual get together, get bombed and discuss plants, growing, bellybutton lint and what causes it. I love you man... 😉

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
How much did you smoke before starting this thread?😉

I smoked a few bowls as you can see by my last response going off on a tangent.🤣

Let's see how others have defined "nanners."

Bananas (“Nanners”)
Another common type of mixed-sex buds is the type that produces “bananas” (sometimes called “nanners”) which grow from the middle of female buds.

I book marked that for latter.

Gotta check the urban dictionary:
TOP DEFINITION
'nanner
"'nanner" is a slang for banana.
Can you go to the shop and get me some 'nanners?
by Serminigo May 25, 2006

Okay, sorry but I'm pretty much toast at this point. Willie's Sour Diesel is working it's magic.

YouTube is always helpful

I warned ya I'm pretty toasted but I had to share that!

Weird how there's not much on the subject. I think that first definition was pretty good from growweedeasy.

We do see a lot of it happening here and it seems to be due to stress, but a particular type of stress unless the scrog farmers here are seeing it.

Nature has ways of improving odds of survival for many plants and animals and this is just one example.

I may get the itch to experiment with the idea in the future to see if I can produce it and what types of stress cause this oddity. I never thought I'd actually want to cause my plants stress. Could prove interesting but I doubt I'd be any closer to a definition of nanners.

We really should hold an annual get together, get bombed and discuss plants, growing, bellybutton lint and what causes it. I love you man... 😉
Yeah, I think the definition above was good, although it's pretty much just a deformed male flower. I think most of this comers from a lot of the crosses that you see, as it isn't something that you used to hear about much at all. I sometimes found a male flower in a grow, and was grateful to have a few seeds for the following year, since feminized seeds were still waiting for the computer revolution to happen first. A different beast, but another example of how the world has moved on, especially the verbiage of it. When we grew, we pinched the top growth, noew it is fimming/topping/supercropping/megacropping/LPS and a baker's dozen terms for the same basic thing. The 90s had Kind, now they have Dank... before those it was commercial Colombian. Yep, I tend to meander too, and getting older I'm getting crotchety.
Life is good that way... I'm still here and that's more than some friends of mine can say, more than I would like to admit.

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Yeah, I think the definition above was good, although it's pretty much just a deformed male flower. I think most of this comers from a lot of the crosses that you see, as it isn't something that you used to hear about much at all. I sometimes found a male flower in a grow, and was grateful to have a few seeds for the following year, since feminized seeds were still waiting for the computer revolution to happen first. A different beast, but another example of how the world has moved on, especially the verbiage of it. When we grew, we pinched the top growth, noew it is fimming/topping/supercropping/megacropping/LPS and a baker's dozen terms for the same basic thing. The 90s had Kind, now they have Dank... before those it was commercial Colombian. Yep, I tend to meander too, and getting older I'm getting crotchety.
Life is good that way... I'm still here and that's more than some friends of mine can say, more than I would like to admit.
I would agree all the inbreeding plays a part but back in the day info wasn't something easily shared. We had High Times and Ed's book. I had a friend who grew trees. I was lucky. Today we talk to our phones ask it a question and here's your answer. Okay, I don't talk to my phone but you know what I mean. Wanna know how to do a break job on 2015 GMC Yukon? Wanna grow killer weed? It's all on the net, incredible. We can share what we're doing, what works and what doesn't while others are doing the same. I love not only reading about it but seeing it. So many bending and topping and stressing their plants. Something I haven't tried yet but plan on giving it a go come spring.

While we personally never saw a nanner or full hermie in the old days doesn't mean it wasn't happening. I was growing bag seed. Mexican, Columbia and that every so often Maui. Just males and females.

It might be interesting to see what if any stresses, within reason, could case it.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I thought it was because breeders used to stress test plants and cross them until they were stable and only had a few known phenotypes.

And now many just aquire one male or “elite” clone and rush to fill their menu with new flavors of the month. No testing done equals more reversals.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I have my original copy of Ed's book, and looking back and comparing it with the info we have today, there were a lot of misunderstandings in there. This was way before computers and cell phones, and the book was like a bible. I think a lot of that info has filtered down over the years and are the basis for some of the Urban Canna-legends that you hear. From Cheech n Chongs 1st movie, where Cheech is misting a plant that he is growing indoors. He says that he doesn't want to water it too much, with the thought being that water starvation increases potency. Suddenly, everyone was wilting their plants.Ed's original book had some urban legends in it as well, but it was THE only growing guide out there that was useful at the time. We learned by gleaning any morsel of info we could find, since grow shops weren't around and people didn't talk much about growing back then... the Man will get you!

The Jewels

The Jewels

I had these appear in the ninth week.
20190326 230619

20190327 000302

Unstable Sour larry BX cross

Top Bottom