Oh My God, He Turned It INSIDE OUT!!!

• Thread starter ttystikk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Am I nuts? Or, does an inside-out tree make sense to you?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
ttystikk

ttystikk

Outstanding sir. Methinks thou May be o to the holy frail of grow techniques. Hope yall achieve greatness. AGAIN!!!!!!!! Ho ho ho

So when was the first time this happened to me? I must be getting old, cuz I don't remember...

Goldenrod

Goldenrod

Referring to pics yall post on another site I used to frequent. Room of holy grail of as I recall. Mmmmmmmmm

Smallzz

Smallzz

Just spitballing an idea here, but what if you used hinges on the back of the cage, and then a long bolt and two nuts in the front, so that you could expand the diameter of the cage when the plants grew past vertical limitations and started growing towards the bulb? Should be pretty easy to disassemble for maintenance as well, just pop a nut or two off and two hinge pins.

As long as your outer reflector has adequate clearance, this would let you accommodate a wider variety of strains in the system, right?

Smallzz

Smallzz

Have the half circles open up like a clam shell with hinges in the back, and then bolts in the front with say wingnuts. This would allow you to expand the diameter of your cage on an as needed basis.

I was trying to think of what sort of limitations your system might run in to, the biggest being distance from canopy to bulb. If you could expand the diameter or even retract it at will, you'd give the grower using your cage more control over the canopy distance. Win win for everyone. You charge 5$ a wingnut, the grower gets more control over their perimeters. :p hahaha

How you would secure the hinges to the half circle trellis and how you'd attach the bolt and wingnuts is a different story. I'll have to think about that one some more.

NewBitmapImage zpse13ff5f0

Smallzz

Smallzz

just ignore the above bit about the outer reflector. I was confused.

ttystikk

ttystikk

The trellis would need to have a different radius curve built into it to be a proper circle of different diameter. So, you end up with units of different sizes built to match different bulbs; I imagine something like a 3' tall x 3' dia. trellis cylinder would accommodate a 600W bulb pretty well, for instance.

The style I envision is designed to spread light and heat evenly in two dimensions; vertically as it moves and horizontally just by its shape, resulting in a light distribution pattern that arguably raises the bar of the term 'optimal'. Since it's just wire field fencing, it is both inexpensive and easy to work with.

Smallzz

Smallzz

Some wingnut was confused. Check. Lol j/k

I walked right into that one... :p

what I'm wondering is what helps hold the trellis to it's desired shape? Do you have a frame or are you counting on just the trellis itself? I'm guessing no frame. When I look at capulator's design on page three and envision what you're trying to build, it seems to me the really resounding difference is his appears more rigid, because of the base holding the trellis in place.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I may use a piece of rod near the top of the trellis, but I'm going to hang the trellis from the ceiling and the plant will hold it in place at the bottom. The wire of the trellis will grab the other one and I can bend the wires to lock the two pieces together at the ends.

Smallzz

Smallzz

I may use a piece of rod near the top of the trellis, but I'm going to hang the trellis from the ceiling and the plant will hold it in place at the bottom. The wire of the trellis will grab the other one and I can bend the wires to lock the two pieces together at the ends.

It all makes a lot more sense now. I'm looking forward to seeing this thing in action!

monkeymun

monkeymun

This is an awesome idea!

each three plant section on casters with fixed screens. 3, 1k down the middle, or double stack 600's. can be opened to access. 6 plants. potential harvest: 6 potatoes.

needed footprint: 7' x 14' x 10' ceiling (for 1' access all the way around when closed): area : 98 sq. ft.

canopy area: 225 sq. ft. assuming 6' tall screens.

expandable: yes.

self contained with individual res/pump etc: yes.

30" wide can be pushed from veg room to flower room. View attachment 304607View attachment 304608View attachment 304609View attachment 304610

Have you used a system like this Cap?

ttystikk

ttystikk

Nope. I wanted to though. I am currently going for the honeycomb.

I'm glad you stopped by, Cap- and when it comes to comparisons, I think the honeycomb plan you're developing will be an incredible yield per square foot machine. Are you using light movers to move your bulbs?

ttystikk

ttystikk

The install is underway! The RDWC is in place, airless aeration setup installed, one cylinder trellis hung from the ceiling. Now for the bits to make the bulbs dance...

I'm looking to have this room in action in a couple of days...

...wait for it...

...firing on all cylinders! :rolleyes:

ttystikk

ttystikk

Still working installation bugs out as I come across them. Hanging the trellis from the ceiling makes more sense and lets me control the unit better. I've been through three ideas about how to run the light mover and I'm not satisfied yet.

The tubs underneath have gotten an upgrade; airless aeration, via waterfall into each site instead of the waterfall return from the pump going into the only bucket in the whole system without plants.(!) This system improves agitation and churn, still does a great job of aerating to saturation and also provides lots of splash to entice roots out of the netpot and into the environment underneath.

I'm also lowering the level of water in the tubs a bit, we'll see how that goes.

ttystikk

ttystikk

this thread needs more pics, lol
love you man,

One bulb to light them all, and in the lightness find them.

Too damned dark in there right now, can't see shit on my phone's camera. As soon as I get a bulb in place, I promise! My ass, it's going to bed now tho. It said, 'who is the dumb one, I leading the show now!'

Medusa

Medusa

Trichome Engineer
Supporter
TY..get your ass outta bed and give us some pic's ......bossy huh...Lol

ttystikk

ttystikk

TY..get your ass outta bed and give us some pic's ......bossy huh...Lol

I knew there was a reason I wasn't in the military... And I think it had a lot to do with the hours involved.

Believe me when I say that I really need all the beauty sleep I can get!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom