Oily Looking Film On Top Of Runoff Res

• Thread starter greenthumb89
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
greenthumb89

greenthumb89

hey farmers gotta question.
atm im running coco coir(canna) dtw with canna coco a and b nutes with calmag+ aswell as boost im running about 600-700 ppm at a ph of usually around 5.7-6.0 ph. ive noticed when i go to dump the 5 gallon bucket that i use to catch my run off in it has a thin oily like substance on top. anyone have any idea what it could be? unfortunately no pics but it literally looks like regular water with a thin film ontop. i want to start running drip feed but am weary in case my res also develops this oily substance ontop aswel.

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

As long as your not using it for feeding then I wouldn't worry about it. It's ran through your coir and has collected all the leftovers. My run-off always looks nasty after it sits for a day or 2.

greenthumb89

greenthumb89

'and a random question to stop me from makin a new thread ill just aske here but has anyone ever kept a cannabis plant as a hoouseplant or atleast in the same cnditoon (i.e if you dont have the room for two rooms so you take a female before going into flwer and just letting it sit in a room with normal lighting and odd hours of "light" whenever your in the room. i gotta male atm just chillin on my dresser been about 2 weeks now i still feed him but hasnt grown obviously but hasnt really showed any signs of stress or wilt. think so long as you feed em they can stay alive for quite aqhile. obviously not thriving but

chemistry

chemistry

Sounds like your nuits are clogging, check the instructions on the bottles. and follow to the letter.

greenthumb89

greenthumb89

yeah keep in mind this is run off. as in nutes that have already been through coco. but mixing nutes is a no brainer really add a to 1 gallon stir thoroughly than b stir. cal mag than boost.

chemistry

chemistry

yeah keep in mind this is run off. as in nutes that have already been through coco. but mixing nutes is a no brainer really add a to 1 gallon stir thoroughly than b stir. cal mag than boost.

I find the scum only collects when it hits air, which for me is round the top of my rez where the water level sits (DWC) So yours will form around the base of your pot or on top of your medium as it dries out. It's an easy mistake to make, mine was made while using the same cup to make up my nuits with out washing it out before I measured the next part out, lesson learned, I don't have that problem now, it may not be your problem, but it cured mine. Or if your using Silica.

greenthumb89

greenthumb89

by run off i meant like i have a table which i was hand watering now drip feeding and the run off collected into a bucket under the table and thats where the oil slick looking stuff is. However my res so far is clear as the day i mixed it so it was obviously just the process of going through the coco and mixing with possibly old salts that made the oil look. No silica and I use an oral syringe to measure out my nutrients and after every nute i draw up fresh water to "clean" it out before drawing up the next nutrient

greenthumb89

greenthumb89

do you guys run airstones in your res for drip feed? i have a couple airstones hooked up to run 5 minutes before my pump is to kick on so it oxegenates for 5 mins before they feeed to stir things up and such. is that dilligent enough ya think

chemistry

chemistry

do you guys run airstones in your res for drip feed? i have a couple airstones hooked up to run 5 minutes before my pump is to kick on so it oxegenates for 5 mins before they feeed to stir things up and such. is that dilligent enough ya think

I would run your air pump 24/7, it takes a while to oxygenate water, and you need an abundance of oxygen to push through your medium. Also, your nuits will settle on the bottom of your tank when your pump goes off, if I were you, I'd run the air pump all day, if noise is an issue, then your only option is to run it little and often.

greenthumb89

greenthumb89

hmm yeah it is quite a noisy air pump its an 8 manfiold one forget the brand but maybe ill try a longer duration. in regards to the nutes settling the pump turns on for 5 minutes and its a pretty strong rolling surface waater and instantly when it turns off the water pump kicks on so it doesnt really have anytime to settle on the bottom but I would of thought that 5 minutes would be plenty considering like a garden hose with the oxegenator attachment oxygenates the water as it passes through so youd think 5 minutes would be enough

greenthumb89

greenthumb89

Also i was under the impression that its' the action of the water seeping though the medium that causes the "pull" of oxygen kinda sucks in new oxygen as it passes through yknow

chemistry

chemistry

Also i was under the impression that its' the action of the water seeping though the medium that causes the "pull" of oxygen kinda sucks in new oxygen as it passes through yknow

Never hurts to have a little extra oxygen to your roots.

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

No air pumps or stones in my DTW rez. just let the pump recirculate for a few seconds and feed.

greenthumb89

greenthumb89

Okay that makes me feel better and I would hope the 5 minutes of the air pump would add extra oxygen as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom