Ok do I got this right with living soil

• Thread starter indicagrower420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
indicagrower420

indicagrower420

OK I am trying to use coots living soil mix and here is my problem im running into

I am confused when I see soil mix and then compost. The 2 are separate at first right?

Then I mix them together and let them cook right?

When do I add the worms , springtails, and other beneficial bugs? from the start? or once everything is cooked?

mancorn

mancorn

OK I am trying to use coots living soil mix and here is my problem im running into

I am confused when I see soil mix and then compost. The 2 are separate at first right?

Then I mix them together and let them cook right?

When do I add the worms , springtails, and other beneficial bugs? from the start? or once everything is cooked?
Not familiar with the product, but I don't think there's any “cooking” going on. Beneficial critters can get cooked during the composting process when your pile heats up. But if you're just adding compost to peat moss and then adding some organic fertilizers then it doesn't matter, as your soil mix isn't heating up. (The beneficial bugs are going to be in your compost.)

indicagrower420

indicagrower420

Not familiar with the product, but I don't think there's any “cooking” going on. Beneficial critters can get cooked during the composting process when your pile heats up. But if you're just adding compost to peat moss and then adding some organic fertilizers then it doesn't matter, as your soil mix isn't heating up. (The beneficial bugs are going to be in your compost.)
Coots is just the soil recipe there is a guy known as clackamus coots.
But see thats where im confused so how is their beneficial bugs in the compost if it heats up? Or do they appear after its cooled down ? Or do I have to buy them online and add them to the compost once its cooled down or add them to the compost/soil mix ???

indicagrower420

indicagrower420

And to make it worse any video on coots is at least an hour long just to try an find out when to put in the bugs in the soil or compost im getting very frustrated. ughhhh

Pappy805

Pappy805

I could be wrong but I believe the “bugs” are on the microbial level, as in little tiny critters that are already in your soil they just reproduce and multiply when you take care of your soil. That’s what is meant by living soil.

you can add worms if you want but it isn’t necessary. Also, any beneficial insects like lacewings and ladybugs can be added as the plant grows, when or if there is a pest problem.

indicagrower420

indicagrower420

I could be wrong but I believe the “bugs” are on the microbial level, as in little tiny critters that are already in your soil they just reproduce and multiply when you take care of your soil. That’s what is meant by living soil.

you can add worms if you want but it isn’t necessary. Also, any beneficial insects like lacewings and ladybugs can be added as the plant grows, when or if there is a pest problem.
Hmm thanks for the response hopefully someone can confirm all this.. or correct it. I really wanna do this living soil because of no chemicals and I do not need to flush at the end of flowering. Just a lot of benefits

kevinfever

kevinfever

i think Pappy805 is right if you bought pre package compost its full of microbial life , what are you mixing it with or is it a two part mix bag of soil and a bag of compost any amendments

kevinfever

kevinfever

i just googled coots soil recipe and you dont add any bugs unless you want to go all out but your creating a soil . compost and soil are two different thing but depending on what you are putting in it you may have to cook it .what amendments are you using ? i made a soil mix for the first time this year with out cooking it

indicagrower420

indicagrower420

I'm going to be making my own using these things let me get the list

indicagrower420

indicagrower420

Screenshot 20200608 163944 Chrome

indicagrower420

indicagrower420

i just googled coots soil recipe and you dont add any bugs unless you want to go all out but your creating a soil . compost and soil are two different thing but depending on what you are putting in it you may have to cook it .what amendments are you using ? i made a soil mix for the first time this year with out cooking it
And this is what confuses me . I thought I needed q compost to add to the soil mix. Then add bugs but I'm totally lost now.

kevinfever

kevinfever

you add all the ingredients together as directed and it makes a soil or super-soil there will be microbial life in the compost which will help break down the amendments , then they multiply and then you top dress like his recipe says and it feeds the soil it didnt say you need to cook it but i know subcool cooks his for 4 weeks he uses alot more amendments tho . the compost /peat/ and aeration material just make the base soil then you amend it as directed . make sure to get good compost and worm castings because thats where most of your life will come from which in return will make or break your soil

indicagrower420

indicagrower420

also make sure to distill your water or the chlorine will kill the life your trying to grow in the soil
Bro thank you I was breaking my head. I understand now then. One last thing is the bugs that's my concern, do I buy them or they are a product of the compost as it ages and the soils fed?

kevinfever

kevinfever

dont buy bugs or worms its worm castings you want and yes the good "bugs" will grow as long as you feed your soil as they are telling you threw organic teas and top dressing

kevinfever

kevinfever

there is a lot of good stuff to read on the web about this coots recipe i just learned i have been mostly following subcool and the rev

indicagrower420

indicagrower420

I was gonna do subcools also until someone recommended coots. But thank you for real for real because I was getting mad lol I'm building the grow shed in south cali heat an then I have it in the back of my head about this recipe an im getting pissed lmao, I need to smoke right now, I got some real ice cream cake this stuff is powerful really strong

Top Bottom